FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:48 pm
alect

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by alect
Thanks for the info. ^
A mini-report from my stay:
  • arrived late (approx 1am) due to delay at JFK - none of the check-in kiosks could be usedd (all directed you to see desk agent) - I had to wait since only one checkin agent and alrady a guest there - once checking in all went fine until she handed me the key - I saw 18xx on it and said "this isn't the RC floor is it?" - she looked at me blankly and said for the RC floor it would be an extra $100. I said "But I am a Diamond" (that late at night the intricacies of polite speech eluded me) - she hit some keys and apologised and said that my status had not come through on the reservation (not sure how that could be since I made the reservation after my status was updated and I could see it online). Anyway she quickly found me an RC floor room and gave me a new key
  • the room - 3167 - good size, not large (not as large as my room at the Waldorf Astoria was last time I stayed). Pretty typical renovated NYC hotel room - made to look new/modern but obviously not and it comes through. Main complaint is that the bathroom is tiny - probably the smallest of any hotel I have stayed in in NYC
  • the sink in the bathroom is small, and awakwardly placed in the corner. Not only thayt but right above the fawcet some bright spark decided to hang a glass and metal shelf. One night bending down over the sink, I banged my forehead on that shelf and to this day still have a scab there.
  • RC - breakfast was OK, but I would not say great. Continental breakfast with hard boiled eggs. for some reason there were never enough plates, and never any cereal plates. I only made it to a couple of evening sessions - no alcohol (I guess I am spoilt by overseas lounges at HH) and one evening I went it to get a snack as I got hungry waiting for a friend to call about dinner - by 7.30 all the food is packed up and gone - somewhat useless lounge hours especially in a city like NYC where people go out later.
  • Fitness Room - ^^ - lots of cardio equipment, and some free and machine weights. never overly busy.
  • One of the better things I have to give kudos to GHNYC for is the checkout - plenty of options on how to do it (voicemail, TV, kiosk, desk) and the bill itself not only lists the charges but also provides direct contacts for feedback and for lost property. One would think such a small thing, but I found it very thoughtful and useful - is this normal Hyatt procedure?