Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:43 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MechMachine
Update on this property and other Denver Hyatts:

I was looking into booking a stay at GH for a night on July 12th before heading over to DIA the next morning. To my dismay; Hyatt has pulled all inventory for GH Denver and HR Denver Convention Center for the first half of this week.

Was going to book last weekend and forgot; then bam went to do it tonight and am sad at this development... really Hyatt. ALL (regular) inventory? Denver was awarded the moved MLB finals game for this date.

I was able to see rooms for guaranteed availability via globalist but rates start at $530 for the night at GH for those who can’t see. Yikes. Discount at a generous $399 for HR.

I cant imagine the hotel is already sold out? Unless MLB has a corporate contract with Hyatt. Either way unfortunate but I will be back soon. We’ve definitely been getting lucky with the ~$95 nightly prices for this property.

In fairness the hospitality sector has been bleeding cash with covid so I can’t blame them for trying to take advantage of this development.

In positive news; I hadn’t seen an announcement for this but saw a new hotel entry in Denver. Was thinking maybe this was a mistake as to why the inventory was pulled but probably just a coincidence, Denver is getting a Hyatt Centric opening fall 2021. Will be curious to see how it stacks up against the existing properties. Seems to have a nice raised outdoor terrace from the rendered picture available for the property; we will see.
MLB took over certain Hyatt properties for more than a month last fall for its "neutral site" playoff arrangements. The properties were totally blocked for any reservations and I'm surprised you're seeing Guaranteed Availability rates for the Denver hotels in July. Even if the high cost wasn't a deterrent, I'd wouldn't book a room during the All Star game period without having a back up plan. I think there's a risk the reservation would be cancelled, even if it is "guaranteed".
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:35 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MechMachine
I was just stating the cash price roughly for breakfast for two people to be helpful to others; the credit they give nightly instead of club access would therefore cover breakfast for two if you didn’t have the globalist benefit.

I ended up using the daily credit and the prive benefit for late night snacks/drinks at the restaurant and some things from the market.

The front desk told me the credits could be used for food and beverage only. I charged a movie to the room thinking otherwise but just a heads up. They told me to charge everything to the room at checkin and they’d handle sorting out the credit usage from globalist to the F&B credit and that’s what I did. I tallied everything at the end and they didn’t charge the breakfast to the credit.

As I mentioned the difference from the prepaid rate to standard for the prive was so low it was a no brainer. May differ when you stay.
I just came back from this property. Just be aware that if you do the Hyatt phone App Check out, the credit may not apply properly. I had to contact the hotel to apply the Globalist 30 dollar F&B credit from my folio.

I booked a corner King room, and no upgrades as a Globalist. Neat on the roof track area.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Going next month. Is it $30/day even if 2 people vs 1? Doesn’t seem like that would get you a whole lot.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Going next month. Is it $30/day even if 2 people vs 1? Doesn’t seem like that would get you a whole lot.
Yes - but the prices in the little market/cafe thing are pretty reasonable. It'll get you breakfast + some beverages, or maybe lunch. It's better than a crummy club offering, not as good as a nice club offering. The flexibility makes up for the lowish amount IMO.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes it's $30/day per room - so even with 2 people it's still $30. But as mentioned, that's plenty for breakfast really. And if you don't want to use it for breakfast, you can use it for any other meal/drinks/etc.

The food setup is a little strange when we were there last month, like you ordered ahead at the counter but if you were eating in they would still bring it to you. Except that for dinner one night someone did actually wait on us like a normal restaurant, but for dinner a different night it was back to order at the counter. Lunch was pretty much just warmed up sandwiches from the market/cooler. For dinner, I wouldn't recommend the steak but the chicken melt was amazing. And no cocktail menu (just beers, wines) which was mildly disappointing for my SO.

The staff were otherwise super helpful. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite as a globalist.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Wrapped up a nice 2 day stay here. Some notes:
  • Used a pair of FNA certs - upgraded to an Executive suite (note that I could have booked a base level room for $97/night...they are sorely missing business traffic)
  • As noted upthread, you get a credit of $30/room per night. This is...ok for 2 people. For $30, got a pair of breakfast entrees + a fruit bowl (but then I was on the hook for tax + tip on top of that). Went out for coffee ahead of time on my own dime too. Thus, realistically for 2 people you might be OOP $20/night or so on top of the $30 (if you are using the credit for breakfast)
  • Gym, pool (w/reservation), outdoor track all open
Nice stay overall - I look forward to the (marginally better) location of the Centric/Thompson
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just finished up a 4 night stay here, which I booked a couple of months ago on a cancellable rate. The trip was for a work conference that had set dates, I just didn't know if I'd be able to go until July. Overall I only paid $130/nt +, due to the inclusion of the Sat. night stay. Was upgraded in advance to a king corner on the 25th floor, no further upgrade was available as the property was apparently "sold out" Saturday night which I don't completely believe was true since they had suites available for sale according to Hyatt.com, but whatever. Globalist breakfast is currently a full breakfast buffet in the restaurant, Courier, so the credit mentioned upthread is no more. I thought it was good quality, but kind of limited. It was like a textbook exec lounge breakfast in a nicer atmosphere. Scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, starches, fruit, and an omelette station. At the price paid I was very happy with the stay. The location is a bit off the main strip of Downtown, but hardly inconvenient. At the right rate I'd definitely be back. Nice having a good view of the front range from the room.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Globalist breakfast is currently a full breakfast buffet in the restaurant, Courier, so the credit mentioned upthread is no more.
Any lounge access or food/beverage credits for the lounge being closed? Glad you had a nice stay. I’m eyeing the property for a weekend trip in September.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Any lounge access or food/beverage credits for the lounge being closed?
Nope. The lounge remains closed indefinitely (my words, not theirs, but the front desk rep didn't correct my choice of wording). As I understand the per day credit was while the restaurant was closed for in person dining and only open for grab and go, but now that the buffet has reopened, the credit is gone. I did notice that the restaurant was advertising beer growler fills of $15 for the first one and $10 for any subsequent fills, which is a pretty good price. I didn't see what their selection was.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Nope. The lounge remains closed indefinitely (my words, not theirs, but the front desk rep didn't correct my choice of wording). As I understand the per day credit was while the restaurant was closed for in person dining and only open for grab and go, but now that the buffet has reopened, the credit is gone. I did notice that the restaurant was advertising beer growler fills of $15 for the first one and $10 for any subsequent fills, which is a pretty good price. I didn't see what their selection was.
Too bad about the lounge and credit, but good tip on the growler fills.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Interesting that this is the same category (3) as Hyatt Place and Hyatt House downtown, and those even have slightly higher paid rate on the dates I'm looking at. Any reason to pick those over the Grand?

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Interesting that this is the same category (3) as Hyatt Place and Hyatt House downtown, and those even have slightly higher paid rate on the dates I'm looking at. Any reason to pick those over the Grand?
No IMO - not even location (eventually the Thompson will have the best location of all the properties).

Quality-wise the Grand is higher - was there this summer, really nice property. Paid rates are suffering likely due to lack of biz travel.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I'm considering a winter getaway and was wondering if anyone knows how the new Centric will compare to the Grand? I'm leaning toward the Grand anyway since the cash price is lower, and there are fewer of them left which helps with my brand explorer checklist. (I can easily get to Chicago for a weekend which has 2 Hyatt Centrics.)
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Just finished a lovely four night stay here as a globalist lite. Was upgraded to an executive suite at check in which was much larger than expected. The hotel is recently renovated and the suite didn’t disappoint. The grand club is still closed but the breakfast buffet (incl omelet station) was more than sufficient. Service was excellent overall including daily housekeeping. Also had a celebrity sighting here - Edward James Olmos was sitting at the next table during breakfast.

I’d very happily stay here again next time in Denver.
59Impala likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:59 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I have a night booked here in May (yes, already booked). Interestingly the cheapest hotel in Denver for this night.
Great to hear your positive feedback. and I hope the lounge will be open by then
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.