Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thank you for your review, Steph58. I've spent many a night at this property and I think you've captured the current reality very well.

It's really a shame it's (presumably) not making financial sense for the property to reopen the Grand Club, as it really helped distinguish the property from the other Hyatt options in downtown Denver. I get it, though, given rates like you got at $139. Pre-pandemic, that almost never happened here.

Originally Posted by Steph58
The ambiance at HR felt like a large tour bus, crowded, frenzied kind of place; Grand Hyatt felt more peaceful and upscale.
I think this also is a good characterization. The HR is very much a convention-style hotel. But it is newer and there are a lot of larger, more functional suites to be had, so it definitely has a valuable position in the Denver Hyatt mix.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:12 pm

Agree with Steph58's comments on the breakfast. Just did two stays here and one at the HR over the past few weeks. Though I like the suites and the easy upgrade at the HR, I like the GH much more because it was calmer and more quiet even on nights when they were hosting holiday parties.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a two-night stay here rounding out my Colorado vacation - 2 nights at the Thompson, 3 at the HP Keystone, and 2 more here. I was traveling with friends and had a TSU set to expire so confirmed into an Exec Suite in advance. Rates were ~$139/nt.

Check-in: Pretty unremarkable, I arrived around 4PM and was able to get into the Exec Suite I’d used a TSU for. Didn’t need a late checkout.

Room: Very spacious - living room had a dining table for 4 and a seating area for 4-5 or so. Bedroom was very spacious with views of the mountains in the distance. Bathroom was also spacious with excellent water pressure in the shower and Balmain toiletries which worked well. There was some street noise even up on the 23rd floor, mostly morons revving their engines like mad at 2AM.

Breakfast: In the restaurant; I thought the food was pretty good but maybe just because I was sick of the HP food from my prior 3 nights. Excellent fruit and eggs cooked to order. The Club remains closed which I knew from this thread, but is disappointing.

Things to do: Someone on the lift at Keystone told me the Arsenal Wildlife Refuge was his favorite place to take visitors and as an East Coaster I found it very interesting, just a completely different landscape and we saw lots of wild life (coyotes, bison, prairie dogs, large birds of prey). Be sure to listen to the audio guide while you drive, I thought it was very well done. For those with young children, the Denver Firefighters Museum is around a 10 minute walk and my son enjoyed this for an hour or two.

In Summary: The Exec Suite worked great for my own needs (having space to entertain friends) however in general I preferred the Thompson and will likely return there on my next trip. The Thompson was around ~$100 more per night but the breakfast was truly excellent there, I preferred the location, and the overall quality was higher.

Pool - very warm with 3-5’ depths

View from the room with Rockies in the distance
platbrownguy and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Just completed a 1-night stay before driving to Moab. I was upgraded to Executive Suite day before. I hadn't checked this thread so I was disappointed when I was told Grand Club is still closed. I was looking forward to evening snacks at the GC before going out to dinner. Buffet breakfast in the restaurant was OK, although the bacon was very good. Chicken bacon ranch sandwich from the Market Place was very good. We'll be back for 5 more nights next week. If GH does not open Grand Club, I may reassess value proposition of the options.

16th St down from GH was all torn up with construction, so not nice to walk around. There were homeless tents along the streets from Coors Field into downtown so people walking to baseball games had to negotiate the obstacle course.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85
Buffet breakfast in the restaurant was OK, although the bacon was very good. ... If GH does not open Grand Club, I may reassess value proposition of the options.
The club is closed permanently from my understanding. It's what I was effectively told when I stayed there two years ago, it's the same now. I agree with your assessment of breakfast, it was decent, but for a restaurant buffet I find the variety of options to be a bit underwhelming. It would be be a great lounge breakfast - it isn't a great restaurant breakfast.

I had a one night stay there 3ish weeks ago before moving over to the Thompson. Was upgraded in advance to an Exec Suite which had a nice view of the front range; I had a corner king the previous time I stayed. Overall it continues to be a nice property with good staff and often reasonable rates, in fact for the Saturday night I stayed there it was one of the least expensive Hyatt properties downtown vs the Thompson/Centric/Regency.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
For the breakfast I was told the cafe next to the restaurant wasn’t eligible for globalist breakfast but I had mine taken off each day. Only one that wasn’t was when I got coffee later in the day and it coded to lunch. They also never charged me for parking so maybe that was just a one off.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:42 pm
Original Member

It's a shame that the hotel has closed the Grand Club, but they do offer a very reasonably priced happy hour in the restaurant's bar. $5 craft beers from a nice local draft lineup, and $6/$7 well and wine options along with some cheap small plates. Note that prices in the lobby bar are priced for expense accounts only - the menu shows martinis and other cocktails starting at about $30-35 with taxes and required gratuity.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:28 pm

I just made reservations for late October. The club is still closed with no opening date announced.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:28 pm

Look like GH can go by without club whatsoever
Do they waive parking fee for Globalist on cash rate?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by rffpgadsp
Do they waive parking fee for Globalist on cash rate?
In my experience, they do not.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my experience, they do not.
bummer, no club yet no compensation for globalist.
thanks
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by rffpgadsp
bummer, no club yet no compensation for globalist.
While they made no concession on parking fees for Globalist members on a revenue stay, when I was there last they did provide full breakfast at the restaurant on the lobby level. It was quite good. And as I recall they provided some additional credit or coupon from the takeaway food/beverage area right in front of the restaurant because the lounge was still closed.

It's really a shame they haven't brought back the lounge. For breakfast anyway, it was one of my favorite features of the property.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a six-night stay here. Although I wish the Grand Club would come back, it was a perfectly nice stay and I’d return.

Booking and Room: I used points for a six-night stay and applied a TSU to the Exec Suite. My room was on a corner on the 25th floor with mixed city and Mountain Views. I didn’t have any noise issues and the room was comfortable. The suite didn’t have a door between the bedroom and living room. I’d requested a rollaway bed for my son and it was in the room when we arrived.

The bathroom was spacious with good water pressure. In-room coffee was via a Keurig. I was coming from Munich and woke up around 2-3am most days, the only place I could find to get coffee (as I hate the Keurig coffee) that early was a 7-11 about a 12 minute walk away (many of the other 7-11s show as being open 24 hrs on Google, but they’re not).

I had a car for two days and the charges were taken off as I was on an award stay. No issues with the garage.

Breakfast: The food was good and the breakfast crew is very attentive. I think the breadth of the buffet is about the minimum I’d expect from a full service hotel (for example there are no veggies, cheeses, smoked fish, etc). But what they had was good, especially the one day they had cheddar grits… yum! The staff were extremely attentive and welcoming. The Thompson breakfast is definitely better in my view, but this was still solid.

The Grand Club is still closed. I went to scope it out - the sign was taken down and it was full of boxes and binders and other storage. Doesn’t look like something that’s coming back anytime soon.

Location worked well for us. We took the “MallRide” bus from Union Station (airport train) and that was convenient and ran frequently. We left via Amtrak’s Winter Park Express which was a fun ride up into the Rockies.

Laundry: We had two bags of laundry done via wash and fold by Jessica’s Laundry for $25. They pick it up and deliver it for no extra charge and it was in our room when we returned from a day of sightseeing. Service was next day but I think they would’ve accommodated same day if we needed it.

I would gladly return here on a future stay. I’d also be glad to answer any Qs. Pictures of the suite below altho I forgot to take them until we were running out the door to leave so it looks a bit sloppy.

Bedroom (Mountain View)

Living room with rollaway (city view); no door to bedroom

Cruising up into the Rockies on Amtrak’s Winter Park Express from Denver
lbbzman, dpb132 and stalker like this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Feb 20, 2024 at 8:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.