Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Zurich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Zurich REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
Are rooms at the PH Zurich priced based on the location?
It's based on the market or management's view thereof - we paid just over 200$ including breakfast booked through expedia at Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong a year ago and I still remember their breakfast, against which Park Hyatt Zurich breakfast and service pale in comparison, but at least they know to provide with whole-wheat croissants to spare us from fat and sugar overload.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by mikew99

Are rooms at the PH Zurich priced based on the location? I ask because the high cost is certainly not justified by the room, the service, or anything else I experienced...
The price is justified, because of the combination of a brilliant location ( Beethovenstr. ) , perfect service and almost perfect rooms.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
It's based on the market or management's view thereof - we paid just over 200$ including breakfast booked through expedia at Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong a year ago and I still remember their breakfast, against which Park Hyatt Zurich breakfast and service pale in comparison, but at least they know to provide with whole-wheat croissants to spare us from fat and sugar overload.
It does not make any sense to compare hotels that are not in the same region, because of several factors like culture, real estate and/or labour cost etc.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:44 am

Looking at PH Z pricing in comparison to SPG, I agree it's overpriced. But I do not think it is overrated because of its pricing. On the contrary, knowing how expensive it is, makes it so much more enjoyable to stay on promotions. Also, I see another hotel priced in the same range in Zurich. The point is PH Z does not need to lower prices to be not-overrated. In my example MO in HKG promoted itself and did not need charge a premium to signal it was a luxury hotel. But as for Park Hyatt Zurich maybe it is overpriced and overrated, but you better compare it to Alden Hotel Splugenschloss if you say that, most people on this board do not have advantage.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by bmw303
what is the in-room dining breakfast? is it as good as the restaurant?

Scroll up to my previous post and you'll be able to see pictures of breakfast via room service.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by FD1971
The price is justified, because of the combination of a brilliant location ( Beethovenstr. ) , perfect service and almost perfect rooms.
Disagree, at least if talking about service and rooms. I found service rather poor and although the rooms are nice, they are not that amazing. Certainly not enough to warrant such high prices on their own, despite how much I like the panel that opens up for fresh air. Location is nice - but it is directly across the street from the Sheraton so that can't justify it alone.

I just think compared to some of the other places in Zurich (Dolder Grand, Baur au Lac), it doesn't justify it's sometimes extreme premium.

But anyway, just my opinion.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyb
Disagree, at least if talking about service and rooms. I found service rather poor and although the rooms are nice, they are not that amazing. Certainly not enough to warrant such high prices on their own, despite how much I like the panel that opens up for fresh air. Location is nice - but it is directly across the street from the Sheraton so that can't justify it alone.

I just think compared to some of the other places in Zurich (Dolder Grand, Baur au Lac), it doesn't justify it's sometimes extreme premium.
First of all, we are talking about three of the best 100 hotels on the planet rated by various sources. Additionally, all are priced in the CHF 450 and way above range, hardly any difference, however the Dolder Grand participated in quite some third party sales over the last couple of months, one should also not forget that it is Zurich we are talking about and not Lisle, Ontario or Addison...

Three classic examples of Swiss hospitality, perfect in almost every imaginable way. Park Hyatt has a very understated expression of luxury, maybe it is too subtle for some guests, however if you take a look at those price tags for an average room, you will be amazed...as pointed out in other threads, we are talking about real wood and marble of very high quality. I also agree that cheap artificial wood ( I call it Sheraton style ) looks more and more like real one, but there is a certain difference in quality. Some with B&O, not everyone likes it, but somebody at Hyatt decided to pay 4-5 times the amount of a regular 37 inch hotel LCD, to put a lamp into a vase and to have automatic curtains and an open bath...

The Park Zurich and the Park Dubai are two classic examples of where Hyatt intends to place the Park Hyatt brand, earlier hotels like the Park Moscow or the Park Toronto were not as defined as those two. Park Moscow was too conservative, almost like a Kempinski and Park Toronto has amazing suites and certain features, but the rooms are not wow or super-wow at all. Milan was a design-extravaganza on its own that focussed more on travertine than on wood. I would agree that hardly anyone needs marble skirting boards, but if you compare tangible facts, the construction price per room is a very good parameter...

Again, very subtle approach, hardly visible, maybe way too expensive for the effect it generates,...but true Park Hyatt.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:23 pm

has anyone had any experience with a connecting room request at the PH Zurich? (when you have booked two rooms for the same night)

Do they honor these requests?

Last edited by bmw303; Apr 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:20 pm

As a Diamond on a 7 day BWB stay, what room could I expect to be given? Assuming I understand correctly that even on a BWB stay you are supposed to be given the best available non suite room...correct?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by antonius66
As a Diamond on a 7 day BWB stay, what room could I expect to be given? Assuming I understand correctly that even on a BWB stay you are supposed to be given the best available non suite room...correct?
More or less all Park Hyatt properties in Europe/Near East upgrade one category from the category booked. Theoretically, you are correct, though.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
Bicycle Valet Program

Does PH Zurich participate in the Bicycle Valet program.

I found it to be a rather nice feature recently at the PH Toronto
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:37 pm

Review

We stayed at the PH Zurich in late May 2010. The booking was made by FlyerTalker DavidO, a Virtuoso agent. The price we paid was the same as the standard Daily Rate on Hyatt.com.

Virtuoso benefits included:

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily Buffet breakfast for up to two in-room guests, in the lounge
Credit of 50 CHF on total food & beverage consumption
4pm late check out
Welcome amenity in room on arrival (water, chocolates, fruit, welcome note from GM)

We reserved a Park King (lowest category) room and I'm fairly sure we were upgraded to an Executive King, which is the next category up. I think the only difference between the room types is the view. We had a courtyard view, which is mentioned in the Exec King description. It was pleasant and quiet.

The breakfast buffet was very extensive and nicely presented. Hot dishes could also be ordered from the wait staff. Like the hotel overall, the lobby buffet area has an upscale and restful (some might say boring) ambiance.

We were staying only one night and had to catch an early train to Vienna the next day. Since it is a long journey, we thought it might be nice to have a picnic lunch for the train. I asked the front desk clerk, who was showing us up to our room, if it might be possible to arrange that through Room Service, using our 50 CHF credit. She said "no problem," asked what kind of things we wanted in the picnic, and took care of it for us.

The next morning, promptly at the hour requested, Room Service showed up with two tote bags, each containing two sandwiches (one ham, one cheese), an apple, two extremely delicious cookies and a bottle of water. Perfect. They charged this against our room as 50 CHF, so we paid nothing.

We also received the nice welcome amenity. I think water and fruit are always provided at this hotel, but the little box of Sprüngli chocolates was a welcome extra.

Service at the hotel overall seemed very efficient and fairly friendly, in a Swiss sort of way.

The only error made by the hotel was that we never received the complimentary coffee we had requested at 7:00 am. We filled out the hang card and put it on the door the night before, but by 7:30 it had not showed up. If we had cared very much, we'd have called Room Service about it, but as it was, we just decided to go down to the breakfast buffet a little earlier and get some coffee there.

Oh, and I still haven't received stay credit, three weeks later. I just filed a missing stay report.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:42 pm

I am so upset I missed out on staying here. I was scheduled for a week on BWB nights, but due to a problem with my airline tickets, I ended up having to cancel the day before I left. I ended up using them at PH Tokyo, which was no disappointment...I just really wanted to see the PH Zurich and Switzerland in general. Sounds like a great property.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Heading back.

We are heading to the PH ZRH next week. After reading all the threads here are my highlights-

Get the Zurich card.
Visit the Lindt chocolate factory which is a stop on the boat ride included with the Zurich card.
Exit main entrance of the hbf break hard left. Tram 13 to stop near PH. Name of stop please if someone remembers it?
Visit Cafe Z which is part of the PH entrance opposite side.

Any add ons appreciated.

Stop is Stockerstrasse. 3 minutes to hotel. 2 minutes for fast walkers.
Can also take trams 6 & 7 from hbf.
Golden Round Trip from Lucerne.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Jun 13, 2010 at 8:16 am
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Tram 13 to stop near PH. Name of stop please if someone remembers it?
The stop is Stockerstrasse. 3 mins walk from the PH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.