Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked as a Globalist

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Eh, not quite. I suspect that there are cases where the "walk" is profitable for the owner, either because they own both properties (and so any question of the hotels billing one another is simply shuffling money between accounts) or because they're able to get space at the walked-to hotel for less than you're paying them. For the latter, if I pay $150 for a room and then the hotel walks me somewhere they have a standing arrangement for rooms at $100, the hotel would be pocketing $50. So you have two subsets of cases where the hotel might prefer to stick you with the walk (and keep your non-refundable reservation) rather than refund you.

(The policies at least mean you'll have someplace to stay, but the "bad behavior" is issues like those two sets of cases.)
Having worked and consulted in the industry for decades, I honestly do not believe most hoteliers even have the technical ability to coordinate such a scheme nor the desire to put in the effort to do so, not to mention the circumstances truly have to be exceptional for the hotels involved to be able to turn a profit from such a scheme. So I just do not think it is reasonable to approach any situation assuming this level of bad faith on the part of the property owners. As I said, overbooking policy exists as consumer protection. Guests are certainly welcome to insist on a refund in a walk situation and in my opinion it would take an exceptionally malicious property not to immediately grant a refund. Again, typically any property will be ecstatic to refund rather than walk a guest.
59Impala and RedSun like this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by strife
Having worked and consulted in the industry for decades, I honestly do not believe most hoteliers even have the technical ability to coordinate such a scheme nor the desire to put in the effort to do so, not to mention the circumstances truly have to be exceptional for the hotels involved to be able to turn a profit from such a scheme. So I just do not think it is reasonable to approach any situation assuming this level of bad faith on the part of the property owners. As I said, overbooking policy exists as consumer protection. Guests are certainly welcome to insist on a refund in a walk situation and in my opinion it would take an exceptionally malicious property not to immediately grant a refund. Again, typically any property will be ecstatic to refund rather than walk a guest.
I feel like the comments from The Road Goes On Forever speak to this, and something similar seems to have been at play in my incident as well.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
I feel like the comments from The Road Goes On Forever speak to this, and something similar seems to have been at play in my incident as well.
Well you can conspiracy theory up anything you want, but there is a huge difference between a property's preference in walking guests to other properties under the same ownership/management (and I have worked at properties that had this policy although it also made the process easier and faster since we knew the people working at the other properties) versus an intentional and planned scheme to keep accepting reservations beyond RM forecast in the hopes that those reservations can be falsely walked to a lower-ADR property that still has inventory and is still also presumably attempting to sell rooms, all while sufficiently enough guests do not complain about being falsely walked in order to actually make some profit.

Maybe it is not completely obvious to those who do not have experience in the industry, but the circumstances would simply have to be exceptional for this to be beneficial at all. Not to mention the effort involved would seemingly be much better served in attempting to make the lower-ADR property more attractive in the first place.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Well you can conspiracy theory up anything you want, but there is a huge difference between a property's preference in walking guests to other properties under the same ownership/management (and I have worked at properties that had this policy although it also made the process easier and faster since we knew the people working at the other properties) versus an intentional and planned scheme to keep accepting reservations beyond RM forecast in the hopes that those reservations can be falsely walked to a lower-ADR property that still has inventory and is still also presumably attempting to sell rooms, all while sufficiently enough guests do not complain about being falsely walked in order to actually make some profit.

Maybe it is not completely obvious to those who do not have experience in the industry, but the circumstances would simply have to be exceptional for this to be beneficial at all. Not to mention the effort involved would seemingly be much better served in attempting to make the lower-ADR property more attractive in the first place.
Furthermore, my guess would be that the lower-ADR property would fill up first. I think it's fairly unlikely that the cheaper hotel still has inventory while a more expensive hotel nearby is oversold, especially these days when business travel is limited and leisure travelers tend to be price-conscious.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
Furthermore, my guess would be that the lower-ADR property would fill up first. I think it's fairly unlikely that the cheaper hotel still has inventory while a more expensive hotel nearby is oversold, especially these days when business travel is limited and leisure travelers tend to be price-conscious.
Depends on the area - I’ve been to San Diego several times recently this year where the Manchester Grand Hyatt has been Sold Out but cheaper nearby hotels are not. People doing staycations want quality too.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
So, @hotturnip and The Road Goes On Forever, I'm now wondering something practical: Let's say I show up at a hotel at 10 PM and I have a "transferred reservation". For the sake of discussion, let's say it is "out of family" and I'm not interested in taking the move/can find a better rate or more convenient location (or that, for some reason, I quickly check my phone and can find a room cheaper at the hotel in question on their chain's website than at the original rate). Can I order the hotel to cancel my reservation (with a refund of any deposit) since they aren't honoring what I booked?

(This likely wouldn't apply to an advanced booking, but if my booking was same-day or close to it [or, heaven help me, a guaranteed availability room] I can easily see it happening.)
Hard to give you an exact answer. The whole thing about walking guests, in a select service environment which is what I know, is that everything is highly situational and overall there is rarely a plan unless the negative number starts getting into ludicrous territory where you still have a double digits 24 or 48 hours prior to the date. Overall it's like watching an episode of Hogan's Heroes and instead of the bungling Germans, you have bungling management who far too often provide little to no guidance in too many situations. Many nights over the years I would come in at 11 to do audit and the hotel would be oversold three with five arrivals and it was up to me to figure it out. The good thing about that is it heightens your ability to make decisions and BS guests. The bad side is that management a lot of times would still send emails after the fact and second guess what was done even though they were incommunicado throughout the entire process. As an example, at the HWS I worked at ideally I was supposed to follow the owner's protocol which was to transfer the reservation to one of the two "nearby" (20 miles away) hotels that they also owned and only walk to one of three non-affiliated hotels across the street in a last resort. Always made for some interesting guest interaction as to why they couldn't be walked across the street when they would call that hotel and knew they had rooms.

While there are bad apple properties out there who legit try to screw guests over and there are GM's or management companies who try and scheme or take advantage of people/situations, most places fall into the incompetence/apathy camp rather than the malice camp. Without going into details, most GM's and AGM's I've worked with have only been quasi-vested in their jobs. Hospitality is one of the few industries where as a GM you very much don't need a degree in the field or even a degree at all. I've joked to many people, don't worry if you fail at career X, you can always fall back on hospitality.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cbn42
That is a hypothesis which I personally doubt holds up in practice.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That is a hypothesis which I personally doubt holds up in practice.
I suspect brand affinity (or a lack thereof) plays a role. I know I have to be far from the only person to simply look on (for example) Hyatt's website to start with rather than going over to Google. If two properties are in a similar market segment (outside of high-end resorts/boutique hotels), then all else being equal I'd expect an off-brand hotel to show as cheaper. Likewise, location probably drives price as much as anything...so a similar-segment hotel in a lousy location provides an "easy fix" in a situation like this.

As I noted, I see two situations, and I think the ability to "trade space" amongst properties you own and/or with "friendly" properties is a thing. There's also a chicken-and-egg issue: If two properties are "similarly" priced as a rule, one would expect that the one that sells out first to have gotten more expensive than the remaining rooms at the other property. This may not breed a "grand conspiracy", but it certainly breeds an indifference to the situation since in theory you can "fix" the problem at no cost to yourself.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Depends on the area - I’ve been to San Diego several times recently this year where the Manchester Grand Hyatt has been Sold Out but cheaper nearby hotels are not. People doing staycations want quality too.
Keep in mind that the context is properties that are of at least similar quality or this exercise in elaborate shenanigans gets even further from reality.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 100k, Delta Platinum
I'm not sure whats going on with availability in vacation destinations this year, but I just got an email from the Polo Beach Club Destination Residence in Maui telling me they aren't able to honor my reservation next month due to overselling. I'm a Globalist with >100 nights and >$12k spend already this year, assuming I don't get walked from any other reservations I'm already booked for ~160 nights/35k spend. Well over half way to LT Globalist. For some reason I assumed I'd be one of the last people to get walked, but I guess nobody is safe.

Should I be asking/expecting some sort of compensation for getting walked? I already purchased airfare/activities for the trip, so it's pretty unfortunate
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by DroppedSon
I'm not sure whats going on with availability in vacation destinations this year, but I just got an email from the Polo Beach Club Destination Residence in Maui telling me they aren't able to honor my reservation next month due to overselling. I'm a Globalist with >100 nights and >$12k spend already this year, assuming I don't get walked from any other reservations I'm already booked for ~160 nights/35k spend. Well over half way to LT Globalist. For some reason I assumed I'd be one of the last people to get walked, but I guess nobody is safe.

Should I be asking/expecting some sort of compensation for getting walked? I already purchased airfare/activities for the trip, so it's pretty unfortunate
That's ridiculous - the only way you should be on the cut list is that somehow, some way they managed to overbook owners. If anyone deserves compensation for something like this, it's a 160nt member. Tbh, as just a garden variety Globalist, I don't think I should ever be in danger of being advance walked on a (relatively) exotic leisure destination stay.

Last edited by synergistic; Jun 26, 2021 at 12:44 pm
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DroppedSon

The short answer is that you should be getting compensation of some sort (they're supposed to give you space somewhere if they can't honor it).

How long ago did you make your reservation? This would affect how aggressive I'd be.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 100k, Delta Platinum
I was offered a strictly inferior room at Grand Champions Wailea or a condo that has less bedrooms at Wailea Beach Villas. Neither are great options, as Grand Champions is a much worse property, and the condo offered at Wailea Beach Villas doesn't have enough bedrooms to accommodate my party. I made the reservation last Tuesday
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Eh, not quite. I suspect that there are cases where the "walk" is profitable for the owner, either because they own both properties (and so any question of the hotels billing one another is simply shuffling money between accounts) or because they're able to get space at the walked-to hotel for less than you're paying them. For the latter, if I pay $150 for a room and then the hotel walks me somewhere they have a standing arrangement for rooms at $100, the hotel would be pocketing $50. So you have two subsets of cases where the hotel might prefer to stick you with the walk (and keep your non-refundable reservation) rather than refund you.

(The policies at least mean you'll have someplace to stay, but the "bad behavior" is issues like those two sets of cases.)
Unless you have status (or an Amex card) in which case you pay the hotel nothing and they pay for your first night.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

I've seen cases where it clearly happened. Typically, a convention's members booked a lot of rooms at a low negotiated rate, then the hotel got a better offer and sold rooms to someone else at a higher rate. I was the victim once, until I called the chain's 800 number and used Amex to guarantee my reservation. Then they found a room for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.