Wiki Posts
Search

Walked as a Globalist

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here is my understanding of how some Hyatt hotels can get way overbooked: separate reservation systems with a messed up sync between the two (or more) reservation systems used by the hotel or between the system at the hotel and central reservations; and this messed up sync can at times be due to error by the hotel employees or sometimes by corporate/Hyatt. That and corporate/negotiated group sales getting priority from a hotel sales director type or GM wanting to court the business even at the expense of walking a bunch of one-night/one-time visitors.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
If I am going to be super late I usually call the front desk and tell them not to walk me. Has never failed.

Typically I don’t worry if I’m arriving before 10pm unless there is an event in town.
Most of my incidents of being walked have taken place when I show up at the hotels between 5:30pm and 8pm local hotel time. Once in a while, a hotel will try to contact me via email or phone to try to feel me out or let me know of an irregularity coming with being walked. Sometimes I prefer being walked, but other times it comes at very much the wrong time and under the wrong circumstances. And it’s definitely off-putting when showing up to a Hyatt property with a confirmed reservation made directly with Hyatt only to be told you’re to get walked even as the hotel is just about to get started with later arriving people being checked in.

Most of my walks have been at places where I’ve stayed multiple times. Not exactly a vote in confidence of repeat business being necessarily highly valued, but I am probably staying on one of the lowest valued rates anyway if I’m using a property a lot. But I still don’t get how walking me on the lowest valued rates makes much sense since the walk rates that Hyatt ends up paying for me to stay elsewhere are usually significantly higher than the rates that filled up the hotels doing the walking.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 2023 at 5:42 pm
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: 111
Originally Posted by Matt4200
If this is what being walked looks like sign me up. My understanding is they usually send you to another nearby hotel with little to no compensation.
I guess the issue here is that, if it's a standard room, then the "nearby hotel" thing could work. But now it's a premium suite. So, it's hard to decide which room at the nearby hotel is an equivalence, if there is an equivalent suite at all. I think the compensation is acceptable, but I wouldn't call it a great offer especially considering that the suite was book much in advance and was for a special occasion.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by skj
Hyatt's "walk" policy is pretty mediocre compared to Marriott and Hilton in that there's no acknowledgement of or additional benefits for status. It's also somewhat dated ...

What is Hyatt's reservation guarantee?

If you book a room on hyatt.com and prepay with a credit card, Hyatt will have a room reserved for you when you arrive, or will provide, at no cost to you:
• A free night at a comparable hotel
• Free transportation to and from that hotel
• One free telephone call to advise your family where you can be reached
Wow, they don't provide any compensation for the inconvience whatsoever? You also lose tons of benefits... nights towards status, breakfast (and possibly club lounge access), points, cross points via AA, premium internet, bottled water, and late check out. Losing all this and they give the Glob nada?
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Not sure how they even overbooked 30 rooms that’s pretty crazy.

As for Hyatt corporate they basically said it was entirely the hotel’s responsibility to get me rebooked and ensure I pay the same rate. So basically all fault is on the hotel I guess.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Here is my understanding of how some Hyatt hotels can get way overbooked: separate reservation systems with a messed up sync between the two (or more) reservation systems used by the hotel or between the system at the hotel and central reservations; and this messed up sync can at times be due to error by the hotel employees or sometimes by corporate/Hyatt. That and corporate/negotiated group sales getting priority from a hotel sales director type or GM wanting to court the business even at the expense of walking a bunch of one-night/one-time visitors.

Most of my incidents of being walked have taken place when I show up at the hotels between 5:30pm and 8pm local hotel time. Once in a while, a hotel will try to contact me via email or phone to try to feel me out or let me know of an irregularity coming with being walked. Sometimes I prefer being walked, but other times it comes at very much the wrong time and under the wrong circumstances. And it’s definitely off-putting when showing up to a Hyatt property with a confirmed reservation made directly with Hyatt only to be told you’re to get walked even as the hotel is just about to get started with later arriving people being checked in.
Bingo! It could be a locally booked room block went haywire and needed to consume more rooms than they booked.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow, they don't provide any compensation for the inconvience whatsoever? You also lose tons of benefits... nights towards status, breakfast (and possibly club lounge access), points, cross points via AA, premium internet, bottled water, and late check out. Losing all this and they give the Glob nada?
This is where Marriott has a better policy for its elites - the hotel needs to fork over $$ plus points (which cost them more $$), plus paying for the 1 night stay elsewhere. I had a situation where my colleagues (no status) got walked while I got my room, and they were very aware of the Ultimate Guarantee requirements.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Any way to tell if you’ll be walked? In my 7 years with Hyatt never been walked. I’m staying at a Hyatt Place this weekend for 2 nights and they said they have 12 business conferences going on in the area and have been sold out all week, I booked months ago though. Hoping I’ll be walked since it’s the only Cat 1 within 50 miles so I’d at least move up in terms of quality.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Any way to tell if you’ll be walked? In my 7 years with Hyatt never been walked. I’m staying at a Hyatt Place this weekend for 2 nights and they said they have 12 business conferences going on in the area and have been sold out all week, I booked months ago though. Hoping I’ll be walked since it’s the only Cat 1 within 50 miles so I’d at least move up in terms of quality.
It is impossible. Many have posted strategies such as: Calling the property on morning of checking to reconfirm, checking in via app, putting note in the record, checking in as early as possible.

Unfortunately none are foolproof. The best is to arrive early as they tend to walk the last to show (to maximize revenue) but alas that is not always possible. I find calling ahead to say "don't walk me" usually works.

Honestly if there was one elite benefit I would want above all others it would be to never ever be walked but property owners are just too greedy to provide it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.