Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Houston REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Creating a dedicated thread for the upcoming Thompson Houston now that the property site has come up at the attached link.

This one is opening in the second half of 2023, so we're less than a year away.

khabah
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
A fantastic location for exercising along Buffalo Bayou Park, and driving down Allen Parkway was one of my favorite pastimes during peak COVID in 2020.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thompson Houston (planned opening 2023)

Noticed this on Hyatt.com during a map search showing as "coming soon" which I think is new-ish. I live about a mile from where the hotel will be. The new Thompson is slated to be a ~170-room property located on Allen Parkway, just a stones throw from the west side of downtown.

Per this website, the firm behind it is the same firm that developed the Thompson San Antonio. Another article from hospitalitynet.

I couldn't find an existing thread, if there is one, my apologies and can merge.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Dec 17, 2022 at 4:43 pm
Old May 20, 2023, 12:03 pm

Thompson Houston REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Is there a dedicated thread on this new hotel? Just saw availabilities popping up starting November 1st.

https://www.hyatt.com/thompson-hotel...ompson-houston

Category 5, member rate is $465pn pre tax on opening day. Standard suites and premium suites are all available for redemption. $25pn "Daily Amenity Fee" pre tax, inclusive of "Electric Car Service, Drop off within 3 mile radius, powered by BMW". Rooms look a bit bland, but that shower suite looks nice!

Last edited by GeneralTalker1030; May 20, 2023 at 2:33 pm
Old Sep 5, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The Hyatt website is now accepting reservations from 12/15 (the website says 11/29 but I didn't see anything bookable until 12/15). Cash rates look high for Houston at $450-$500, with a $25 "amenity fee" - and of course $52/day parking - so this would be a good use of 17k-20k points per night.
MarkOK and krazykanuck like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by ehallison
The Hyatt website is now accepting reservations from 12/15 (the website says 11/29 but I didn't see anything bookable until 12/15). Cash rates look high for Houston at $450-$500, with a $25 "amenity fee" - and of course $52/day parking - so this would be a good use of 17k-20k points per night.
Well, the cash rate at the Dallas Thompson has stuck at about $400 and up just about everytime I looked. There is definitely plenty of money in these big Texas cities to throw at luxury hotels.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:12 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ehallison
The web site now says accepting reservations from 21 December, but one can't actually book that night. One can make reservations starting the following night. I have a stay at the HR the next week that I'm tempted to move here and give it a try, but the points cost is 2.5X and that's off-peak at the Thompson
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Latest opening date is 12/21.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:26 am
skj

The latest opening date is now the end of January 2024. I had a reservation in late December and received an email and a phone call from Hyatt Consumer Affairs earlier today. Apparently some "security-related" equipment won't be delivered in time for a December opening.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
The latest opening date is now the end of January 2024. I had a reservation in late December and received an email and
Did they just cancel your late December reservation or offer any alternatives?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:46 am
skj

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did they just cancel your late December reservation or offer any alternatives?
They offered to move me to the HR Downtown, covering the cost of the night. I do have a new confirmation for the HR but it shows the full Member Rate. I'll keep an eye on the reservation to see if the price changes but will probably book a night using points as backup. While I appreciate the offer of a comped night, I don't think it's necessary given the 1 1/2 month notice I was given and won't push too hard for it. If I'd have been smarter, I should have just asked for 10k points. I would have come out ahead as the HR is only 6.5k points the night we're staying.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Looks to me like this will be a 2024 hotel? I am interested! Was not much of a Thompson fan before but my mind has been changed with recent stays in Austin, Nashville, among others
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:13 pm

I have multiple rooms booked here w/ family on may 2nd and may 3rd. I went to add a night and the hotel is listed as "coming soon". not good.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by gary6177
I have multiple rooms booked here w/ family on may 2nd and may 3rd. I went to add a night and the hotel is listed as "coming soon". not good.
The website still says they are accepting reservations from January 24th.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1k, SW CC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Just completed a weekend stay, checked in 4 days after opening. Used a suite upgrade to book the "1 Bedroom Park Bayou Suite" and prior to arrival it changed to "Panoramic Suite". Both are standard suites on the website, not 100% sure what the differences are. Found out on arrival that this room is not a true suite- there is no separate door between the bedroom and living area. Bathroom is beautiful (shower takes up a lot of square footage of the room) but the shower head did not feel not adequately sized for such a big space. Combined with water pressure being slightly on the low side with giant windows (there are blinds), it was slightly uncomfortable to take a shower. Of course, it is winter and chilly in Houston at the moment, so maybe this isn't an issue for the majority of the year. Also booked a standard room for my kids, that changed to a "1 King Bed Park View" prior to check in. This room was located right next to the suite.

Pool and spa are not open yet. Views of downtown are great from the lobby and outdoor pool deck- both are on the 7th floor. At this time, it does not appear to have much poolside seating except for (what I assume to be) pricey cabanas.

Breakfast was initially quoted at $60 for 2 adults 2 kids. This amount is absurd and not in line with the prices on the menu. The front desk acknowledged this and said the amount was being reconsidered. Nevertheless, it was wiped for me upon checkout. The restaurant itself does not have much indoor seating... there is a lot of outdoor seating, but I can't imagine sitting outside in the summer.

Surprised only 1 sink in here

Large shower/bath area

Wished there was rainfall shower or a larger shower head

Dyson hairdryer in suite (not in base room)

You have to walk by the bed to get to the living area

Great views of buffalo bayou park

Booked a base room for my kids

Base room shower

Base room bathroom

Breakfast menu

View from Cabanas. Pool was not open yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.