Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked as a Globalist

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
Hotels are independent businesses, and unless a large chunk of your stays are at their property, they could care less about your status with the chain. They will give you the minimum benefits that the chain requires, in fact we all know that sometimes they don't even want to do that.

If OP had been a regular guest of that property, or referred by a corporate client who books a lot of room nights, then perhaps he might have got preferential treatment.

Even with that said, loyalty programs are getting weaker in the travel industry. Companies are struggling, and higher revenue today is more important than loyalty for the future. Investors want to see profits this quarter, they don't care about hypothetical future profits.
This is an overly cynical view and frankly it is not helpful to attempt to paint all hoteliers in this light. Obviously there will always be bad actors and that is perhaps best evidenced by corporate owned properties being among those known for not honoring program benefits and those properties and management teams rightfully should be criticized. But overall the reality is that program elites are highly valued even by franchised properties and the training at many properties I have worked for and with reflects this understanding. Good management understands the synergy advantage of being branded or they would not choose to be branded in the first place.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think it is strange that a no-show where the charge cleared would not count for occupancy stats. If the charge somehow bounces, I can see not counting it...but not if the charge clears.
Occupancy is defined in terms of occupied rooms. A no-show is not an occupied room, it was never occupied. There are other terms and metrics for revenue.

Here is one industry definition of occupancy. https://hsmaiacademy.org/glossary/occupancy/

(In the interests of full disclosure I am affiliated with the organization operating the website linked above but get nothing from linking to it.)
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gengar
There's no difference whether an additional room is sold before or after a cancellation or no-show.
If a hotel overbooks, then the rooms that are no-showed are sold to others.

If a hotel waits until after they know there's a no-show, they won't be able to sell the room.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by sethb

If a hotel waits until after they know there's a no-show, they won't be able to sell the room.
No-show is just a term for when a hotel officially cancels a guest reservation under the belief that the guest is not going to show up or sometimes when the guest notifies the property they will not show up. In the former case typically this is done at night audit by whatever FD staff is handling the audit. So it does happen that a property will sell the room even after a technical no-show. But this is a pedantic distinction and is a practice no different than overbooking if it just happened before the room was no-showed.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

The context of the post I was responding to was the occupancy statistic.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
To me, the elephant in the room was the fact that a Globalist got walked. At 11:30 PM. That is what would frost my fanny. Just my two cents.
Exactly. Globalist should never, ever, be walked, period. They have your money, let the room go vacant, walk another customer. I would go ballistic.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

However, almost always the hotel is aware of the no show long after the cancellation deadline, so the hotel is paid for the room that night even if the hotel doesn't sell the room to another guest.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, almost always the hotel is aware of the no show long after the cancellation deadline, so the hotel is paid for the room that night even if the hotel doesn't sell the room to another guest.
Its true if a guest no shows they are still charged for that night due to the cancellation policy so there’s no reasonable reason to sell that room anyways as it’s already paid.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:48 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Its true if a guest no shows they are still charged for that night due to the cancellation policy so there’s no reasonable reason to sell that room anyways as it’s already paid.
From the perspective of the hotel, wanting to double dip and make more money is a perfectly reasonable reason
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
From the perspective of the hotel, wanting to double dip and make more money is a perfectly reasonable reason
The practice of double dipping is very much frowned upon though as it leads to situations described in this thread which leave a very sour taste for the hotel and brand in one’s mouth.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 2:01 pm

What exactly are the hotel’s obligations in regards to walking a Hyatt guest? Wondering if Hyatt has any required guidance to be followed.

From the hotel’s end I would think it would be idiotic to walk a points reservation as my understanding once a hotel is at 95% or more capacity Hyatt has to reimburse at the rack rate (or close to it) and I’m sure there’s guests booked on some cheaper rate to walk.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
What exactly are the hotel’s obligations in regards to walking a Hyatt guest? Wondering if Hyatt has any required guidance to be followed.

From the hotel’s end I would think it would be idiotic to walk a points reservation as my understanding once a hotel is at 95% or more capacity Hyatt has to reimburse at the rack rate (or close to it) and I’m sure there’s guests booked on some cheaper rate to walk.
at a minimum the hotel that walks you has to pay for the night as well as transportation if applicable and then the ride back if you decide to come back the next day. if you choose to stay at the hotel you were walked to then you pay for those additional nights. Id ask for points compensation as a courtesy and perhaps night credit as if you stayed there if that is something that can done. I don't believe its rack rate but the average rate of the night of all the rooms occupied so its still a nice chunk of change.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 1mileman
at a minimum the hotel that walks you has to pay for the night as well as transportation if applicable and then the ride back if you decide to come back the next day. if you choose to stay at the hotel you were walked to then you pay for those additional nights. Id ask for points compensation as a courtesy and perhaps night credit as if you stayed there if that is something that can done. I don't believe it’s rack rate but the average rate of the night of all the rooms occupied so it’s still a nice chunk of change.
Okay just wondering as I’m checking in super later to a hotel that’s “over sold out” which I’m not sure how that even happens so just gauging my options as it’s a busy Saturday night.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Okay just wondering as I’m checking in super later to a hotel that’s “over sold out” which I’m not sure how that even happens so just gauging my options as it’s a busy Saturday night.
Presuming you want to be in the "over sold out" hotel, as opposed to being walked, I presume you will receive an opportunity for on-line check-in long before your arrival. Won't guarantee you won't get stuck with the dumpster view simply because you arrived last, but really cuts down on the chances of being walked.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Presuming you want to be in the "over sold out" hotel, as opposed to being walked, I presume you will receive an opportunity for on-line check-in long before your arrival. Won't guarantee you won't get stuck with the dumpster view simply because you arrived last, but really cuts down on the chances of being walked.
I mean online check in doesn’t necessarily guarantee anything. I definitely don’t want to be walked as it’s likely the best hotel in the area plus the globalist benefits like $75-$100 breakfast waived (there’s no other Hyatt anywhere nearby). Don’t really care about View biggest factors for this specific stay - free parking, breakfast, pool/spa, nice room quality inside it’s a Hyatt Regency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.