Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Q2 Promo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 7:15 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Delete
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You should go out and meet some HP/HH sales managers who work at inexpensive hotels and have a chat.
That's a very good suggestion. I would assume that there are some that are ok with providing a $45-49/night rate for a 7-10-day stay on condition that housekeeping wouldn't be expected once or more than once during the booked stay. Now just have to play phone tag and see who bites.

It's been quite the number of years since I've seen a Hyatt/Hyatt____ property in the US repeatedly having published nightly rates below $50.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:26 am

Warning: programmer humor

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Doesn't the ++ after $41 indicate it's a $41 misleading room rate charge before taxes and a mandatory hotel charge (such as a resort/destination/whatever hotel-wanted fee) on top of the nightly room rate presented as the headline rate?
Or the rate increments by +$1 each night of the stay
GUWonder, hailstorm and gr2020 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
That's a very good suggestion. I would assume that there are some that are ok with providing a $45-49/night rate for a 7-10-day stay on condition that housekeeping wouldn't be expected once or more than once during the booked stay. Now just have to play phone tag and see who bites.

It's been quite the number of years since I've seen a Hyatt/Hyatt____ property in the US repeatedly having published nightly rates below $50.
Given some of the Marriott rates that have popped, the idea that a stray property that's desperate for business and in a rate fight with some other desperate properties in an off-season in an area doesn't shock me.

Personally, I believe this is a decent promo. It drives one to nudge traffic to less expensive hotels, but in terms of "intermediate" stays en route between areas...well, Marriott's current promotion doesn't do squat for one-night stays AFAICT (it's two nights plus only). But I do agree that 3x points makes more sense in terms of nudging folks to more expensive hotels. Up to $100, this promo is actually better (in terms of point earning) than the prior one (though the double nights were nice and I regret that I wasn't able to take that one around the block a bit more...but I did get to Globalist with it, so there's that).

That all being said, I wish there was a permanent discounted parking benefit for Globalists. It would be very nice to have at, say, DragonCon (where I'm at the Hyatt but I'm paying cash).
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Has anyone had a straddled stay post yet?

as in a stay that started end of feb and checked out past 3/2?

curious if some or all the nights are counting towards the bonus
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

There are many cat 1 and inexpensive cat 2 Hyatts in Chicagoland. I contacted the sales manager at every one of them back in late December, explaining that I wanted to do a mattress run at a discount, strictly for the status nights and the 3x points, explaining details, etc. That we would not need room cleaning, breakfast, etc. Told them I had many friends interested in the same.

Only 3 even bothered to respond, and only one was really willing to play ball when all was done.

I think the others were convinced it was some kind of scam.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There are many cat 1 and inexpensive cat 2 Hyatts in Chicagoland. I contacted the sales manager at every one of them back in late December, explaining that I wanted to do a mattress run at a discount, strictly for the status nights and the 3x points, explaining details, etc. That we would not need room cleaning, breakfast, etc. Told them I had many friends interested in the same.

Only 3 even bothered to respond, and only one was really willing to play ball when all was done.

Out of curiosity, how interested was that one manager? Was it a case of just agreeing to facilitate a Mattress Run (acknowledging you wouldn’t be there and that wouldn’t cause any issues) or did they cut you a deal vs publicly available prices?

I'm not personally interested in mattress running, but my travel patterns have changed over the past year and I'm more likely to be doing "long term" (10+ night) stays vs. my usual 2-3 nights. So I am not at all short of nights - but interested in the idea of negotiating rates with properties (so far with no success).

Last edited by coleslaw; Mar 8, 2021 at 5:28 am
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:26 am
Suspended

This could be the kind of situation where an in-person visit to ask for a negotiated rate for X room nights in a given period has a different chance of success than just trying to do this over the phone or email.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This could be the kind of situation where an in-person visit to ask for a negotiated rate for X room nights in a given period has a different chance of success than just trying to do this over the phone or email.
Having tried this (not for mattress running, but just for negotiating a lower rate for a longer stay), I find that it's difficult to get someone at in-person (/at the front desk) who's actually willing/able to deal with the request. So I can see the value in being able to go directly "to the source" (/the person who can make decisions on this kind of thing). Although I do think that maybe a phone call would be better than putting it in writing (one of the very few situations in which I don't recommend people to "get it in writing" . Followed up by an email, of course, but just recapping the agreed terms rather than the motivation for doing it if you're trying to mattress run.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Having tried this (not for mattress running, but just for negotiating a lower rate for a longer stay), I find that it's difficult to get someone at in-person (/at the front desk) who's actually willing/able to deal with the request. So I can see the value in being able to go directly "to the source" (/the person who can make decisions on this kind of thing). Although I do think that maybe a phone call would be better than putting it in writing (one of the very few situations in which I don't recommend people to "get it in writing" . Followed up by an email, of course, but just recapping the agreed terms rather than the motivation for doing it if you're trying to mattress run.
The way to generate a response is to get the GM's attention and ask the GM to put you in touch with whomever does property-specific contracts for conferences and negotiated rates. That would probably turn into contact with an in-person -- or maybe it's video calls nowadays -- meeting with the property's sale/reservations/revenue manager and then discussing and negotiating.

Playing up that it's a mattress run is probably not the best idea ever.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:27 am

Playing up that it's a mattress run is probably not the best idea ever.
Agreed.

I can understand the OP's motivation for wanting to be upfront about it (it's not going to cost the hotel anything extra in housekeeping, breakfast, other resource consumption, etc), but mattress running also is probably a grey area at best (and more likely I'd guess that it's specifically not allowed).
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:32 am

Ten nights booked for my SO for this promo, looks like about $600 in value back on ~$1500 cash spent. Not as great a ratio as Q1, but most of the properties we booked are significantly cheaper than usual, so no complaints.

I'll have no trouble with the ten nights for my account, and it'll be more like $500 back on ~$1000 spent. Not a bad quarter considering the (hopeful) leisure plans!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Yikes! My first one night stay post-original Bonus Journeys promotion really hits home how few points a stay will get you, even for Globalists.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yikes! My first one night stay post-original Bonus Journeys promotion really hits home how few points a stay will get you, even for Globalists.
I think the message Hyatt's trying to send you is that you're spending too much money. Switch your stays to $50 a night places and you'll be delighted at how your earning rate has gotten even higher than the previous round of Bonus Journeys!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Out of curiosity, how interested was that one manager? Was it a case of just agreeing to facilitate a Mattress Run (acknowledging you wouldn’t be there and that wouldn’t cause any issues) or did they cut you a deal vs publicly available prices?

I'm not personally interested in mattress running, but my travel patterns have changed over the past year and I'm more likely to be doing "long term" (10+ night) stays vs. my usual 2-3 nights. So I am not at all short of nights - but interested in the idea of negotiating rates with properties (so far with no success).
Substantial discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.