Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Q2 Promo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021 | 12:27 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Or, back to the Goldilocks analogy, maybe it was “just right” for whatever goals they had
Hey if you can show me how stacking all those promos concurrently would benefit Hyatt I’m all ears.

From my end I see Hyatt giving away 10-15 Bonus Points per $1 spent on top of the 5 already earned. Making it 15-20 cents per dollar spent. With a 2 cent per point valuation thats 30-40 cents back per dollar, before factoring the additional 4 per dollar for WOH CCholders. Making it up to 48 cents per dollar spent back, which is insane.

Concurrent with that is the 15-25% points rebate. Which isn’t too crazy in comparison, it was actually not too bad from Hyatt’s end.

The Rollover promo - Good on Hyatt’s end to attract business and retain it.

Comp Parking- Costs Hyatt nothing so good idea.

Slashing Elite Requirements in half. Now that’s a tough one. But since competitors did it Hyatt pretty much had to, though I’m guessing from Hyatt’s perspective they thought the Rollover promo would be sufficient to where they wouldn’t have to slash requirements. That’s what’s going to cost them though.

Double EQN - This combined with the slashed requirements is quite a doozy for Hyatt, especially with both being very publicized in travel blogs with followers in the hundreds of thousands.

TPG puts the value of Globalist status at $4,990 if you subtract the 4 TSU’s, the Cat 1-7, the 40 Night Milestone and the possibility of 70-100 might Milestone valuations you’re left with $3,490. Making Elite Nights in 2021 worth $116 per night up to the first 30 Nights. Meaning Hyatt basically paid all the Glob Lites to become Glob Lites rather than the other way around.

That’s how I see it based on the numbers.

Last edited by Matt4200; Apr 28, 2021 at 12:36 pm
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Hey if you can show me how stacking all those promos concurrently would benefit Hyatt I’m all ears.
I can't - my point was more that it's difficult (impossible?) for anyone externally to know what the rationale was behind some of these promos, what Hyatt's original goals were, how actual performance measured up against those goals, the factors that contributed to extending the promo, the factors that contributed to going a different direction for the Q2 promo (fixed amount per stay vs. variable based on spend), etc.

I'm sure Hyatt have an absolutely huge data set to feed into their models - not as big as Hilton's or Marriott's - that probably includes some pretty rich data going back many years and spanning events like the 2008 crisis, SARS outbreaks in Asia, etc. and lots of detail on consumer trends. I think it would be fascinating to see what data they're using to drive the decisions, but I'm sure it's highly proprietary/confidential. What we really need is an analyst on an earnings call to start asking about the quarterly promos
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 12:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
20 Years on Site

Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
With a 2 cent per point valuation

TPG puts the value of Globalist status at $4,990 if you subtract the 4 TSU’s, the Cat 1-7, the 40 Night Milestone and the possibility of 70-100 might Milestone valuations you’re left with $3,490.
I value points at 1.5 cents, giving a rebate of about 33%, which combined with a low room rate was sufficient to induce me to pay cash in December. I don't expect to realize more than $500 value from my Globalist Lite status: I will have only a couple of vacation stays, no business travel. I disagree that a typical Globalist Lite will benefit by anything approaching $3500.
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I value points at 1.5 cents, giving a rebate of about 33%, which combined with a low room rate was sufficient to induce me to pay cash in December. I don't expect to realize more than $500 value from my Globalist Lite status: I will have only a couple of vacation stays, no business travel. I disagree that a typical Globalist Lite will benefit by anything approaching $3500.
I stopped reading after "TPG"
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
It depends on how you use the points.

I easily get a 2 cent return. I have 4 stays booked at the same property throughout this year where I’m getting 2.5-3x per point value.

I’d break if down like this for Globalists -

Breakfast value $40-$60 per day ($40 for 2 adults, $60 with 2 Kids).

I’d say Globalists stay 60 Nights in perpetuity making that $1,200-$1,600 which is more than TPG’s but I feel it’s valid.

Suite Upgrades -

A Suite upgrade lets say you get them half the time making it 30 Nights in suites. I’d put a conservative value of a suite upgrade at $40 per night. Making that $1,200 for the 30 Nights.

Waived Resort Fees -

My own numbers on this make the savings roughly $700 in a normal year on paid stays.

Comp Parking on Award Stays -

This saves me $300 conservatively a year.

Late Checkout/Early Check in -

Let’s say $20 per night for those 60 Nights. Of which let’s say you’re doing 5 night stays so that’s 12 checkouts for $240.

Guest of Honor -

Let’s say $200 conservatively. Interesting because Hilton isn’t allowing Diamond Lites to pass on their benefits as they do with regular diamonds.

Cat 1-4 Certificate at 30 Night Milestone -

$150 conservative value.

A total of $4,000-$4,400 in value.

I feel like a lot of Glob Lites will have an easier time requalifying even with normal requirements because it’s much easier to stay 60 nights when you have status, when you get the free breakfast, the suite upgrades and all the other benefits along the way.

Note - This valuation is for all Globs not just Glob Lites. I just subtracted them 40-60 night milestones to make it even.
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 2:21 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I see this current promo as solely enticing stays for Cat 1 properties to be beneficial for consumers.

It definitely doesn’t entice stays of $100+ nightly at all.

On top of that the New Property bonus has nothing to do with the current offer. The 500 points per night would be there regardless of whatever promo Hyatt was running concurrently. The AA Bonus - I linked my accounts as a Globalist a year ago and was not targeted so that’s useless for the majority of people.

If prices are comparable I think Hilton or Mariott would be the better option based solely on promotional offers. Hilton just announced a Triple Points Offer starting in a week which is even more enticing.

My stays personally are always in odd numbers either 3, 5 or 7 nights.

So the way I see it as a bonus of 2,000, 4,000 or 6,000 points in comparison to at a minimum 3x Bonus Points.

Let’s say it’s $150 a Night Rate (a fair rate not low, not high right in the middle) through the previous promo on a cash rate since most people book that you said, you’d get -

- 1,500 Bonus points per night every night
- Complimentary Parking (saving $30 on average nightly)
- Nights Rolled over to the following year.

Let’s not even count the rollover portion.

So for 3, 5 and 7 Nights I’d get -

4,500, 7,500 or 10,500 Bonus Points at a Regular Non-Resort Property as someone who’s not a WOH CC Holder.

Vs.

2,000, 4,000 or 6,000 with the current promo. That’s roughly half of what you’d get previously, then obviously much worse if you stay at properties costing over $150 per night. Plus the additional parking cost of $30 per night on average.
If you have two odd-number stays, you still get another 2,000 pts, so you really need to include a full 1000 pts per night, except if you exit the entire promotional period on an odd numbered night. Plus, whatever value you put on a Cat1-4 certificate (another 15,000 pts, if you use it well) assuming you get to ten nights.

Let's just do a full 10 night stay, at 150$ a night.

The super generous program Q42020-Q12021 -- 15,000 pts, plus whatever benefits come from the the double stay credit.
The current promo -- 10,000 pts, plus a C1-4 worth up to another 15,000 pts (put whatever value you want on that -- I have no problem burning them time wise, but it is likely enough for me to burn at a cat 3 for me to value it as 12,000 pts). So, there is still incentive in this promo -- better than the old promo (perhaps) for some of us. Really depends on the price points and everything else.

For me, I would have gotten 20,000 bonus points in the old promo as WoH card holder, in this example. Right now though, I am still getting 12,500 points + Cat1-4 worth up to 15,000 pts + 10,000 AA miles. And from April 1- June 30th, the new hotel bonus is 1,000 bonus points per night (twice the regular bonus amount). Also, losing the old parking waiver seriously means nothing to me (I got zero benefit from that part -- Few of my regional places I stay at charge parking and if they do, it is more like 10$, and I rarely rent a car when I fly anywhere. )

So, I recognize that -some- of you and -some- people had it much better under the last promo and really collected a lot of points paying for top dollar rooms for multiple people on ski trips, but it is worthwhile to recognize that the current set of promos are still pretty solid for a lot of people.
toomanybooks likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 3:10 pm

Not every one getting targeted for AA promo or have stay at the "new property". Also this promo provides little incentive after 10 stays (why cap it to just 1 cert?). Lastly hotels are getting more expensive compared to the spring. I'll still stay at Hyatt if prices are similar but its not a clear cut favorite any more. It's just not a good promo.
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Going through February got us in China for Chinese New Year holidays. W China roaring Hyatt is a global company that needs to factor in our travel habits, not just US

People here don't celebrate Christmas or New Year's
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Going through February got us in China for Chinese New Year holidays. W China roaring Hyatt is a global company that needs to factor in our travel habits, not just US

But it’s not like Lunar New Year was a surprise! They knew about that when the Bonus Journeys promo was launched.
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 8:19 pm
20 Years on Site

Location: 1 hour from Khao Yai, Thailand. No longer Bangkok, China, Taiwan , Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
It's a bit sad to see this. Globalist/Diamond members used to receive 1,000 points per stay as a welcome amenity. Wish they could add a little bit more points to Globalist members... Plus it's definitely weaker than Marriott's Q2 promo, imo.
Of course, the (superior if you needed the double elite night credits, which I did) MR promo ended yesterday, so not really much of a Q2 promo, but hoping for more. The double points weren't as many as I would have earned with the Hyatt promo, but then Hyatt didn't have a (beach) property in Khao Lak, Rayong nor Koh Samui (yet) so only my stays before March 31st really were good earnings as there were two overlapping 2x promos with MR.

Last edited by rbAA; Apr 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 8:35 pm
20 Years on Site

Location: 1 hour from Khao Yai, Thailand. No longer Bangkok, China, Taiwan , Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Disappointing, but to keep things in perspective, we got two consecutive quarters of an amazing promo.

Yeah, but you have to stay at a Marriott.
Well, it could be worse. The MR properties I stayed at during the (two partially overlapping) 2x MR promos were better than the Hyatt hotel alternatives with no Hyatts in Khao Lak, Rayong nor Koh Samui (HR there not opening until July, though it looks OK when we drove by it.) Of course, I ended up with MR points instead of the more valuable Hyatt points,
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
TPG puts the value of Globalist status at $4,990 if you subtract the 4 TSU’s, the Cat 1-7, the 40 Night Milestone and the possibility of 70-100 might Milestone valuations you’re left with $3,490. Making Elite Nights in 2021 worth $116 per night up to the first 30 Nights. Meaning Hyatt basically paid all the Glob Lites to become Glob Lites rather than the other way around.
Not to get too far off topic, but TPG's band of lackeys will inflate anything to just churn what benefits them or their advertisers. They always neglect opportunity costs. They also have it both ways on point valuation. They claim ridiculous $/pts ratio when they're trying to sell you to pay cash for something - "You're earning 1,000 Bonvoy points - thats like $200 based on our valuation." And then they have it the other way when its an article about redeeming - "How I stayed at a $5,000 a night room for FREE."

TLDR - Globalist is not worth $5k to someone who has to mattress run 10-15 nights just to get it.

And my thoughts on all these promos - it pumps Hyatts numbers for investors. They may not be making money, but they are getting heads in beds. Kind of like how none of these startups really make any money for years because it's all about customer acquisition and retention.
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021 | 9:15 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by SHLTP

Actually, it's a retail "holiday" in China as well as Thailand, just like in the US. Any excuse to party I always say.
Old Apr 29, 2021 | 1:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by mbmd
"

TLDR - Globalist is not worth $5k to someone who has to mattress run 10-15 nights just to get it.
Fixed that for you.

(Also, I'm a Globalist and it's a great benefit)
synergistic and coleslaw like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021 | 3:39 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

It is what it is at this point. Outside of a major U-turn, some of the travel industry has begun a fairly active recovery phase ( mostly US-based leisure travelers at this point - but it's quite a bit as some of you may have noticed ) ... I do not expect to see much more generosity from airlines / hotels. imho, Hyatt lived up to their exceptional standards and took care of vast majority of their loyal guests. And for a company who (as of recent years) didn't really believe in meaningful quarterly promos ... Hyatt certainly WOW'ed a lot of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.