Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Q2 Promo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Now cat 1 nights which still count for status plus 10% of a cat 4 night for a few thousand points? Still a bargain.

I think Hyatt has been quite generous.
And what about all the people who are staying at Cat 2-7 (or Cat 8 God forbid)?

It’s definitely not generous to them by any means.

Especially since it’s only halfway decent up until 10 nights, after that it’s pretty bad.

With the promo running for 106 days total that’s not even covering 10% of the possible stay dates.

I’d rate this promo a C+ as it’s basically only encouraging stays at HH/HP properties. It’s not even encouraging any actual spend either, just a points redemption at those Category 1 properties.

I definitely think Hyatt will need to add something to supplement this offer in the coming weeks, whatever that may be.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200

Especially since it’s only halfway decent up until 10 nights, after that it’s pretty bad.

With the promo running for 106 days total that’s not even covering 10% of the possible stay dates.

I’d rate this promo a C+ as it’s basically only encouraging stays at HH/HP properties. It’s not even encouraging any actual spend either, just a points redemption at those Category 1 properties.

I definitely think Hyatt will need to add something to supplement this offer in the coming weeks, whatever that may be.

Well, you can use your new Globalist status earned in Jan-Feb for nothing to cash in on all those cat 2-8 stays with breakfast and $70 parking in cities and suite upgrades to a $400 room and all the rest. There’s your return.

I guess we can all dream of almost-free top status for two years plus 50% back on all our stays going forward, forever. Seems a bit optimistic to me.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Well, you can use your new Globalist status earned in Jan-Feb for nothing to cash in on all those cat 2-8 stays with breakfast and $70 parking in cities and suite upgrades to a $400 room and all the rest. There’s your return.

I guess we can all dream of almost-free top status for two years plus 50% back on all our stays going forward, forever. Seems a bit optimistic to me.
The 50% requirements and double EQN’s did nothing for me at all. I planned on staying 60 Nights anyways with Hyatt.

So I’m not referring at all to the small pool of Globalist Lites, but rather to all Elite Members as a whole.

I agree the promo ending 2/28 was overly generous, but this one is severely lacking. If there was a Complimentary Parking portion of it for Globalists then I’d say it was a solid B rating, still not great but at least it’s something to get people in on paid stays.

I’m saying from an objective standpoint this promo just isn’t going to spur a lot of revenue stays, or stays in general as is.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:44 pm

The funny thing is that the promo or lack of is not at all a driving factor in my staying or not. Still can't go anywhere basically outside the US effectively and traveling is still too inconvenient/not worthwhile.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The 50% requirements and double EQN’s did nothing for me at all. I planned on staying 60 Nights anyways with Hyatt.
Then it should certainly net you 70,80,90, and 100 night awards. That is 40,000 points (or TSUs) that you otherwise wouldn't get.

I agree the promo ending 2/28 was overly generous, but this one is severely lacking. If there was a Complimentary Parking portion of it for Globalists then I’d say it was a solid B rating, still not great but at least it’s something to get people in on paid stays.
The Glob parking benefit going away is a fairly niche thing to complain about. It was a very unique (and for perhaps some of you, very generous) part of a promo. I got zero benefit from that, out of about 25 nights worth of stays.

I’m saying from an objective standpoint this promo just isn’t going to spur a lot of revenue stays, or stays in general as is.
I don't think most promos really generate all that much extra revenue, but I am not in the business, so I will just plead ignorance.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even with this promo and the ones before it during this pandemic, it still seems to me that the Hyatt program is less rewarding with redeemable points/awards for most of my stays than it used to be when there were those property-level G bonuses that gave 500-2000 (or was it even 2500?) points per night?

Yes, it seems to me that Hyatt's very good toward Globalists usually -- and better on average than what I'd expect with Marriott and Hilton as their equivalent of Globalist -- for at-stay benefits. But the "rebate" part of the program is still relatively weak -- and weaker than it used to be back when occupancy was way higher in the early 2000s than today -- and Explorist and Discoverist seem to be more or less a joke for benefits.

Even with this promo and its predecessors during the pandemic, Hyatt's loyalty program is way more miserly now than it was in the early 2000s when travel demand was stronger than it is today. Not sure if/when Hyatt will decide to become more aggressive (and generous) with the promotions, but to my eyes Hyatt seems to be still trying to stick with its more miserly long-term approach and it shows in this promo.
What is this 500-2000 points per night?? Are you talking about the welcome bonuses (which were per stay, not per night. As someone that stays usually for 5-14 days at a single property, I much prefer benefit programs that award nights and revenue over how often one 'checks in'). Maybe you are referring to something else, I am not as much a veteran as some of you all.

The base program rebates at about 25% for me including the WoH CC bonus points -- more like 30-35% with the free night awards and bonus point milestones -- The last promo was rebating about 50% for me I think. That is better than just about anything else out there now. I know in the past, these programs usually had certain ways to get crazy value out of them if you did certain things certain ways, but that just isn't going to happen in an era where you have hoards of bloggers ready to point out any exploitation tactic.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Then it should certainly net you 70,80,90, and 100 night awards. That is 40,000 points (or TSUs) that you otherwise wouldn't get.

The Glob parking benefit going away is a fairly niche thing to complain about. It was a very unique (and for perhaps some of you, very generous) part of a promo. I got zero benefit from that, out of about 25 nights worth of stays.

I don't think most promos really generate all that much extra revenue, but I am not in the business, so I will just plead ignorance.
As far as nights 70-100, Yes I’ll get extra points, but OP was talking about how it gave me New Globalist status and that should spur me to stay more. Which it doesn’t at all.

I don’t see the Globalist parking benefit as a niche at all. There’s I believe 30,000 Globalists worldwide and I’m fairly certain that a good amount of them were able to take advantage of the Globalist parking on paid stays. I know I personally stayed a lot more than I would have during the pandemic due to the parking benefit on paid stays and the promotional offers.

I stayed an actual 80 nights, and earned an additional 20 through the WOH CC, totaling 100 nights. Since status was extended maintaining status wasn’t an incentive for me to stay at all. Without the parking benefit and the promotional offers I likely would’ve stayed only 30-40 nights. Meaning an additional 40-50 nights stayed (the vast majority being revenue stays) were due to the parking and promotional offers. They were all staycations, none related to business at all.

On top of that I guarantee tens of thousands took advantage of the complimentary parking for everyone on Award stays.

That’s just me though.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Not sure if this was answered but when I tried to register, it said:

We're Sorry

You are already registered for this offer.

Are Globs automatically registered?
Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
There was a pop-up message to register. I would have missed if I didn't pay attention. Possibly you had something like that before your tried to register manually and clicked without noticing it?
I used the pop up message link to register and got the same You already registered message. This promotion is still termed Bonus Journey, just like the original Bonus Journey and then the extension. So those of who who have registered the original Bonus Journey are automatically registered for the follow on extensions of Bonus Journey, since the name of the promotion remains the same.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Um... how many other hotel chains give you 1k per night bonus ($15-20) on award stays? With a free night certificate after a mere 10 nights?

Not generous? Quite the opposite.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even with this promo and the ones before it during this pandemic, it still seems to me that the Hyatt program is less rewarding with redeemable points/awards for most of my stays than it used to be when there were those property-level G bonuses that gave 500-2000 (or was it even 2500?) points per night?

Yes, it seems to me that Hyatt's very good toward Globalists usually -- and better on average than what I'd expect with Marriott and Hilton as their equivalent of Globalist -- for at-stay benefits. But the "rebate" part of the program is still relatively weak -- and weaker than it used to be back when occupancy was way higher in the early 2000s than today -- and Explorist and Discoverist seem to be more or less a joke for benefits.

Even with this promo and its predecessors during the pandemic, Hyatt's loyalty program is way more miserly now than it was in the early 2000s when travel demand was stronger than it is today. Not sure if/when Hyatt will decide to become more aggressive (and generous) with the promotions, but to my eyes Hyatt seems to be still trying to stick with its more miserly long-term approach and it shows in this promo.
Am a more recent Hyatt customer but there's also a lot less competition in the marketplace due to M&A now (no different than airlines).

I am more than happy to trade off some of the rebate to get much better service/recognition/benefits...assuming that's why many of us here choose Hyatt of Marriott/Hilton!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, the industry concentration levels do have consequences for consumers.

Many of us here choose where to stay based on a value proposition that includes the rebate gotten from the loyalty program, promo-included. Hyatt used to be more generous in this regard than it is nowadays, and this promo seems to show that Hyatt remains hesitant to be much more generous with its rebating to its guests than it used to be and that Hyatt is not aiming to get far ahead of its remaining "competitors" in this way.

Originally Posted by MarkOK
What is this 500-2000 points per night?? Are you talking about the welcome bonuses (which were per stay, not per night. As someone that stays usually for 5-14 days at a single property, I much prefer benefit programs that award nights and revenue over how often one 'checks in'). Maybe you are referring to something else, I am not as much a veteran as some of you all.

The base program rebates at about 25% for me including the WoH CC bonus points -- more like 30-35% with the free night awards and bonus point milestones -- The last promo was rebating about 50% for me I think. That is better than just about anything else out there now. I know in the past, these programs usually had certain ways to get crazy value out of them if you did certain things certain ways, but that just isn't going to happen in an era where you have hoards of bloggers ready to point out any exploitation tactic.
Per stay. Most of my Hyatt stays have been and continue to be one-night stays; and back when Hyatt's loyalty program was providing a more generous rebate, they may have even always been one night stays for me. So for me the property-specific G bonuses were the equivalent of a nightly bonus rebate. That was a time when Hyatt's loyalty program was generally providing me a more generous rebate, in absolute and relative terms, than its competitors. Today, Hyatt's promo approach to rebating customers is still relatively more generous than its competitors, but it's absolutely less generous in that regard than it used to be -- even as company and industry occupancy levels are way down from that time. And yes, a part of the issue is industry concentration levels have gotten worse for the the customers and that comes with the Hyatt loyalty program rebate being not as great as it used to be for some of us who have been around the block for too long to be considered whippersnappers. But more than just industry concentration, there has been a big change in mindset at this company and how it approaches the loyalty program; and that different mindset shows with this promo being weaker at this time of extremely low occupancy level than its promos were around 17-20 years ago when occupancy levels were far higher than they are today.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 24, 2021 at 5:19 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:24 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by CIT85
I used the pop up message link to register and got the same You already registered message. This promotion is still termed Bonus Journey, just like the original Bonus Journey and then the extension. So those of who who have registered the original Bonus Journey are automatically registered for the follow on extensions of Bonus Journey, since the name of the promotion remains the same.
No, I successfully registered. MHC didn‘t do that for me. The 2 promos are unrelated.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the error message on registration. Tried my wife's number and hers worked. Definitely, the previous promo doesn't have to end before you can register for this one.

I guess I'm OK, but it is a little strange and disconcerting.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hankle
Is everyone else very disappointed with Hyatt's new Break Away with Bonus Journeys promo for March to June? I admit that the Jan-Feb Bonus Journeys promo was almost unbelievably generous, but the new promo doesn't even come CLOSE to replacing it. Spending $4,000 on a 4-night stay with food at a luxury Hyatt resort under the previous promo with a Hyatt credit card would yield 60,000 EXTRA bonus points (in essence, with a Hyatt card, you'd earn about double what you'd earn without the promo). The new promo would yield 5,000 bonus points on the same stay, or nearly 12x fewer bonus points. (Even stranger, spending just $320 on a 4 night stay at an inexpensive Hyatt Place would also yield 5,000 bonus points with the new promo.) Considering that Marriott is running a double-points promotion through April 27, it seems like Hyatt went from the best hotel brand to stay at in terms of rewards-back to one of the worst. And since it's a flat 2,500 points per two nights, it greatly favors staying at inexpensive Hyatts where customers spend less money. Am I missing something?
-Hank
You've got it right. Don't stay at Grands and Parks for this period. Move those stays to Marriott. Hyatt only wants your HP and HH stays for now.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hankle
Is everyone else very disappointed with Hyatt's new Break Away with Bonus Journeys promo for March to June? I admit that the Jan-Feb Bonus Journeys promo was almost unbelievably generous, but the new promo doesn't even come CLOSE to replacing it. Spending $4,000 on a 4-night stay with food at a luxury Hyatt resort under the previous promo with a Hyatt credit card would yield 60,000 EXTRA bonus points (in essence, with a Hyatt card, you'd earn about double what you'd earn without the promo). The new promo would yield 5,000 bonus points on the same stay, or nearly 12x fewer bonus points. (Even stranger, spending just $320 on a 4 night stay at an inexpensive Hyatt Place would also yield 5,000 bonus points with the new promo.) Considering that Marriott is running a double-points promotion through April 27, it seems like Hyatt went from the best hotel brand to stay at in terms of rewards-back to one of the worst. And since it's a flat 2,500 points per two nights, it greatly favors staying at inexpensive Hyatts where customers spend less money. Am I missing something?
-Hank
Sure it's worse - but it's also 2021 not 2020, and I like the idea of Hyatt being around as a going concern. vs. being forced to sell itself or merge...things are picking up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.