Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
I'm curious if anyone has had an award expire in the last week now that awards granted in early January will have passed the 6 month threshold? If they did indeed expire was anyone able to get Hyatt point for them from their concierge?

I have a 1-4 catergory and a 1-7 category expiring at the end of August and won't have a chance to make use of them by then (I live in Toronto).
not quite yet… those that earned it pre-mid January were (I’m assuming mistakenly) extended when they extended all of the 2020 issued ones.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by myperks
not quite yet… those that earned it pre-mid January were (I’m assuming mistakenly) extended when they extended all of the 2020 issued ones.
Ok, thanks. I saw references to that extension but didn't realize that what people were referring to was that some were granted to awards earned in early 2021.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I am dead certain Hyatt is going to extend this stuff, as canceling people's awards during a massive pandemic surge isn't exactly creating shareholder value here.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by stvr
I am dead certain Hyatt is going to extend this stuff, as canceling people's awards during a massive pandemic surge isn't exactly creating shareholder value here.
I see no indication of that.
Anyway, why do you think this affects shareholder value?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
No awards are being cancelled.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:42 pm

My first accrued 2021 Cat 1-4 expires Aug 2. Going to use it next week at Gild Hall in NYC.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
I'm curious if anyone has had an award expire in the last week now that awards granted in early January will have passed the 6 month threshold? If they did indeed expire was anyone able to get Hyatt point for them from their concierge?

I have a 1-4 catergory and a 1-7 category expiring at the end of August and won't have a chance to make use of them by then (I live in Toronto).
my cat 1-7 certificate expires today July 19th..
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
my cat 1-7 certificate expires today July 19th..
They didn’t swap it for 20k points yet?

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I was offered 20K. Actually, I prefer that now over the extension of my cat 1-7 certificate to end of December. Points don't expire and that is worth something
Old Jul 23, 2021, 9:54 am

Any recent data points? I have a Cat 1-4 expiring in August that I might use for a 5k/Cat 1 stay next week. If they might be extended (or if people are being offered points), I'm inclined to hold it. Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
According to the Wiki, "all unused Free Night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021." Therefore, since my WoH credit card FNA expires in Aug. 2021, it should be extended to Dec. 31, 2021. However, looking at the Hyatt app, it still shows an Aug. 2021 expiry date. Should it show a Dec. 31, 2021 expiry date, or will that date only show up after Aug. 2021 has passed?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
According to the Wiki, "all unused Free Night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021." Therefore, since my WoH credit card FNA expires in Aug. 2021, it should be extended to Dec. 31, 2021. However, looking at the Hyatt app, it still shows an Aug. 2021 expiry date. Should it show a Dec. 31, 2021 expiry date, or will that date only show up after Aug. 2021 has passed?
There hasn’t been any official statement from Hyatt saying this is the case. None of my 2021 expiring cents have been extended and most posts in this thread say the same thing.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
There hasn’t been any official statement from Hyatt saying this is the case. None of my 2021 expiring cents have been extended and most posts in this thread say the same thing.
if it was truly in a WOH FNA expiring in Aug 2021, then was issued in Aug 2020, which should have been extended. The problem is Hyatt doesn’t easily show which FNA is what.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
if it was truly in a WOH FNA expiring in Aug 2021, then was issued in Aug 2020, which should have been extended. The problem is Hyatt doesn’t easily show which FNA is what.
Yes, it is a WoH FNA, so it was issued 12 months before its expiry date and should be extended as you say. I guess I'll have to call Hyatt to resolve.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Yes, it is a WoH FNA, so it was issued 12 months before its expiry date and should be extended as you say. I guess I'll have to call Hyatt to resolve.
Do you have any other certificates in your account such as the milestone?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:15 pm

Do you have any other certificates in your account such as the milestone?
There are no milestone certs in my account, I only have my annual WoH FNA cert. Other than that, I have Club Access Awards (which I guess are a milestone award) in my account.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Jul 24, 2021 at 6:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.