Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I asked recently... on April 29 I was told "At this time, we do not have plans to adjust the expiration period for awards earned in 2021"
FlyerBeek, lsquare and cfabar1 like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Would be nice, but not expecting them too. Hyatt has been more than generous on earning rules this year (and assuming if you have these expiring, it's because you probably benefitted from double nights in Q1, right?)
lsquare likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Discussion here: Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Bottom line: no one knows yet. I certainly hope Hyatt does extend the certs considering they are still issuing 6 month certificates while travel continues to remain heavily restricted while Marriott continues to extend certs issued in 2019 and 2020. Others here don't necessarily agree.

-FlyerBeek
At this stage, if they're not going to extend them, an official statement would be nice (rather than waiting until the proverbial last minute). I know, we shouldn't assume anything is happening...but it's still annoying not to have a statement given the situation elsewhere.
lsquare and hoipolloi like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I would think Hyatt probably just extends everything to end of year. Another extension looks unlikely at this point. Hyatt's rates have not changed with the postpone of the peak/offpeak. For most people, we get a full summer to burn the FNs.

Use them before you lose them.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by RedSun
I would think Hyatt probably just extends everything to end of year. Another extension looks unlikely at this point. Hyatt's rates have not changed with the postpone of the peak/offpeak. For most people, we get a full summer to burn the FNs.
I would perfectly be okay with that, but still very skeptical it will happen. Extending everything until the end of 2021 would allow certs issued in early 2021 to not expire ahead of certs issued in early 2020 - which currently doesn't make much sense to me. Also, international travel in many places should be less restrictive by late 2021.

-FlyerBeek
hoipolloi likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I would perfectly be okay with that, but still very skeptical it will happen. Extending everything until the end of 2021 would allow certs issued in early 2021 to not expire ahead of certs issued in early 2020 - which currently doesn't make much sense to me. Also, international travel in many places should be less restrictive by late 2021.

-FlyerBeek
The only FNAs that expire before end of 2021 are the newly earned 6-month FNAs early this year. So there are not many of them. I do not hold any of those.

So it is not much loss for Hyatt to extend those. Hyatt may just extend those on a case by case basis.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:57 am

Hyatt updated their COVID updates pages on May 18, but made no change regarding the extension of free night awards earned in 2021. Hyatt is being really stubborn
Old May 19, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Sure hope Hyatt does, I have 7 Cat 1-4 certificates expiring at various times in 2021 and family is not yet ready to travel....
Old May 19, 2021, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
At this stage, if they're not going to extend them, an official statement would be nice (rather than waiting until the proverbial last minute). I know, we shouldn't assume anything is happening...but it's still annoying not to have a statement given the situation elsewhere.
?? Why does Hyatt or any program have to come out and say what they wont do? I assume that if they dont say they are extending them further then they arent. And just cause IHG extended theirs doesnt mean Hyatt has to or is a meanie if they dont.. Could be Hyatt wasnt sure what theyd do and didnt want to say no further extension and then extend them with all those who used them screaming unfair, or to say OK another extension and then see the #s say its not needed

Could be IHG is having problems getting its occupoany rtae up while Hyatt isnt, could be Hyatt sees the vast majority of its members have been having stays (pts,certs or $) while IHG isnt getting much action.
59Impala and AndyKehn like this.

Last edited by craz; May 19, 2021 at 4:36 pm
Old May 19, 2021, 2:19 pm

Exactly. Why would Hyatt need to come out and announce there is no change in policy? No announcement = business as usual. The only certs affected here are the cat 7 that were earned before June this year, plenty of places to use them for domestic getaway.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Exactly. Why would Hyatt need to come out and announce there is no change in policy? No announcement = business as usual. The only certs affected here are the cat 7 that were earned before June this year, plenty of places to use them for domestic getaway.
To provide members with certainty so that they use it at the crappy Hyatt Place in Canada or wait to use it at a desirable one abroad
Old May 19, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
To provide members with certainty so that they use it at the crappy Hyatt Place in Canada or wait to use it at a desirable one abroad
but they have responded to multiple individuals (and made clear on their website) that they did not intend to make any further extensions. This is about as much certainty or confirmation as you’re going to get. I don’t think you should wait for a press release along the lines of “for realz, we’re serious about what we’ve told you already” before making plans for your awards. If you’re a globalist, then maybe ask your concierge if there’s any hope of extension or conversion to points.

It’s also worth remembering that you can use the carts for other peoples stays. If you personally can’t travel for whatever reason, and since travel is quickly recovering, consider whether friends or family could make better use of them than you can.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
but they have responded to multiple individuals (and made clear on their website) that they did not intend to make any further extensions. This is about as much certainty or confirmation as you’re going to get. I don’t think you should wait for a press release along the lines of “for realz, we’re serious about what we’ve told you already” before making plans for your cents.

It’s also worth remembering that you can use the carts for other peoples stays. If you personally can’t travel for whatever reason, and since travel is quickly recovering, consider whether friends or family could make better use of them than you can.
Hyatt's answers are "no extensions at this time" . it doesn't mean "we won't extended them"
RedSun likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by craz
?? Why does Hyatt or any program have to come out and say what they wont do? I assume that if they dont say they are extending them further then they arent. And just cause IHG extended theirs doesnt mean Hyatt has to or is a meanie if they dont.. Could be Hyatt wasnt sure what theyd do and didnt want to say no further extension and then extend them with all those who used them screaming unfair, or to say OK another extension and then see the #s say its not needed

Could be IHG is having problems getting its occupoany rtae up while Hyatt isnt, could be Hyatt sees the vast majority of its members have been having stays (pts,certs or $) while IHG isnt getting much action.
I feel like you missed the part where I said "an official statement would be nice" (emphasis added), not "is required". "Employees have said a bunch of things through informal channels" is not the same as "something will not happen", and as I've noted elsewhere there are some odd-and-end variable points that would make this desirable in countries where lockdown policies have been on-and-off at various times.

(Heck, even a "Just this once, we'll convert those certs to 10k points as a matter of policy if you're based in the following countries" would probably handle most of this. FWIW the country where people are most likely to get stuffed under the current policy is probably India, since things seemed to be in hand until March [so plenty of time to hit 30 nights for the year between the double night credits and carry-over credits from the late 2020 promo before all hell broke loose, and Hyatt has a respectable footprint there] and I don't think you can reasonably expect folks to be eagerly "out and about" for a bit there even if the official numbers drop off.)
RedSun likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I feel like you missed the part where I said "an official statement would be nice" (emphasis added), not "is required". "Employees have said a bunch of things through informal channels" is not the same as "something will not happen", and as I've noted elsewhere there are some odd-and-end variable points that would make this desirable in countries where lockdown policies have been on-and-off at various times.

(Heck, even a "Just this once, we'll convert those certs to 10k points as a matter of policy if you're based in the following countries" would probably handle most of this. FWIW the country where people are most likely to get stuffed under the current policy is probably India, since things seemed to be in hand until March [so plenty of time to hit 30 nights for the year between the double night credits and carry-over credits from the late 2020 promo before all hell broke loose, and Hyatt has a respectable footprint there] and I don't think you can reasonably expect folks to be eagerly "out and about" for a bit there even if the official numbers drop off.)
I didnt miss anything or miss understand what you said.And IMO its crazy to think any large company is gonna keep making statements that basically say "Nothing has changed" The only time a statement is needed is when something changes from what the previous policy is.eg when a flight is officially delayed for whatever reason some Carriers send a SMS or email out, they dont send a 2nd one saying "Nothing has changed since our last contact", now they will recontact should the delay be prolonged and changed to a later time or if the flight delay is no longer, but they dont send out a 2nd message saying your flight is still delayed by 35 mins. So if nothing has changed with Hyatts stance why do they need to send out any message?

Whatever a front line employee says I take it as if it was a FTer saying it = its worthless and only their thoughts, now if that employee says I received a message saying ____-________ , thats something else as its not their opin
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.