Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
There are no milestone certs in my account, I only have my annual WoH FNA cert. Other than that, I have Club Access Awards in my account.
well I guess an inquiry with Hyatt is the best course of action. Twitter Hyatt concierge is probably the fastest.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My concierge just confirmed that they are now allowed to extend free night certificates (mine was in relation to Cat 1 -7, not sure if it applies to all types). They can extend them in the month of expiry, e.g mine expires in August and it can be extended until end of January 2022.
synergistic likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
My concierge just confirmed that they are now allowed to extend free night certificates (mine was in relation to Cat 1 -7, not sure if it applies to all types). They can extend them in the month of expiry, e.g mine expires in August and it can be extended until end of January 2022.
Can confirm this, I had a cert expiring a few days ago and my concierge was able to "redeem" it and issue a new one expiring in 180 days.
synergistic likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Are Explorists and Discoverists also able to get expiring awards extended?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I had a Cat 1-7 and a Cat 1-4, both expiring in August, extended to January 2022.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stvr
I had a Cat 1-7 and a Cat 1-4, both expiring in August, extended to January 2022.
Did you call Hyatt or contact the Hyatt Concierge to get the extension? Why doesn't the extension automatically appear in the WoH app?
etsmyers likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For your WOH account with those extended awards, the status is listed as Globalist?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:37 pm

I got 20K points for my cat 1-7 cert from my concierge, which I personally prefer to 6-month extension
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I got 20K points for my cat 1-7 cert from my concierge, which I personally prefer to 6-month extension
I'd guess that's not going to be an option now that an extension appears to be a possibility.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I’m a Globalist Light, (50 nights to date). I’ve two Free Night Certificates (Cat 1-4) expiring on September 2, and October 2. When I called the CS line in June, they said that nothing is confirmed about any extension yet. I guess I can call this month and hope for the best?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
When I called the CS line in June, they said that nothing is confirmed about any extension yet. I guess I can call this month and hope for the best?
That's interesting as it contradicts what the Hyatt Wiki says. My annual 1-4 FNA (from having the WoH credit card) expires this month. Since they don't seem to be extending the expiration date automatically in the app, I guess I'll just have to call and ask for one.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
of course, I switched a point redemption at Cap Cana to my certs on Saturday
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:11 pm

I contacted my concierge about a cert that expires end of August and was offered 20,000 points.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:14 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Like others above, I've been given the option by my Concierge to convert by Cat 1-4 expiring tomorrow to 10,000 points.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WISEMEN
Like others above, I've been given the option by my Concierge to convert by Cat 1-4 expiring tomorrow to 10,000 points.
OR to extend it to Jan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.