Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Maybe it’s because I’m a lowly Globalist Light and not yet full 60 night Globalist yet so that a Concierge will be able to extend certificate validity whereas the normal Customer Service team can’t?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by coleslaw
OR to extend it to Jan?
That's right, I neglected to add that bit. With few travel options at the moment, I decided this is the lower risk option.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Maybe it’s because I’m a lowly Globalist Light and not yet full 60 night Globalist yet so that a Concierge will be able to extend certificate validity whereas the normal Customer Service team can’t?
I'm not entirely sure about that as technically I'm no longer officially eligible for the service. While I have had a Concierge since around 2012, I had no stays in 2020 for obvious reasons and I'm still below the 60 nights for this year. I'm not sure whether I'll be grandfathered in the program moving forward. I hope so!
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
I contacted my concierge about a cert that expires end of August and was offered 20,000 points.
had a cat1-4 expire last week, took the standard 10k points as consolation, didn’t push to try and extend since was a struggle to use this year with often wanting longer stays and guarantee suite with TSU, was 30night award from January
Old Aug 3, 2021, 2:24 am

Concierge got back to me today and said the cert had been extended to January 2022, which it was. As I'd planned to use it at a Cat 6 property, this was a sizable improvement over 20,000 points and a very satisfying interaction with customer service overall.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I wasn't offered the extension and was told to check back after it expires - presumably for the paltry 20k points. Maybe I'll push back more. I'm past done with the milestones.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pWei
I wasn't offered the extension and was told to check back after it expires - presumably for the paltry 20k points. Maybe I'll push back more. I'm past done with the milestones.
When does your cert expire? All accounts are extensions are only being done during the month cert expires. I have Cat 1-4 certs expiring 12/2/21 and 1/2/22 that I'm not sure will be extended.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:22 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I had to cancel a reservation for August using my Cat1-7, which expires 27 Aug. I have asked MHC, and she will get back to me tomorrow (needs to clarify).
I probably also need to cancel a couple of reservations using 6 TSUs, as President Biden will not open up the borders yet... I have asked, what may happen to those. If I recall correctly, they would expire in 2021 as well.

Wonder what the anser will be...
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Are any Regency clubs even open right now? I feel like those certificates will expire and be useless. I wish Hyatt had come up with alternate milestone awards this year for those, but they probably felt there was no need given at 30 nights you’ll hit globalist anyways.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: BA
I think it is ridiculous that any certificates would be expiring in this environment. I had to cancel my trip twice because of restrictions. Are they only extending certificates or offering points for Globalists? Last I checked, COVID19 and associated travel restrictions affect everyone equally regardless of elite status.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiivile
I think it is ridiculous that any certificates would be expiring in this environment. I had to cancel my trip twice because of restrictions. Are they only extending certificates or offering points for Globalists? Last I checked, COVID19 and associated travel restrictions affect everyone equally regardless of elite status.
I agree. I am swimming in certs and DSU and its not from a lack of interest on my part.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Some commenters on this board were dead certain Hyatt would inflict pain here. I didn't share their view, and I am happy to have been proven correct.
gspurr likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:03 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I had to cancel a reservation for August using my Cat1-7, which expires 27 Aug. I have asked MHC, and she will get back to me tomorrow (needs to clarify).
I probably also need to cancel a couple of reservations using 6 TSUs, as President Biden will not open up the borders yet... I have asked, what may happen to those. If I recall correctly, they would expire in 2021 as well.

Wonder what the anser will be...
follow up. My expiring Cat1-7 will be extended until January 2022. The TSU's which would go back to my account will also be extended in the month they expire (I presume Dec 21). They however will only be extended for some 2-3 months for now. So not too useful in my situation.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by 59Impala
follow up. My expiring Cat1-7 will be extended until January 2022. The TSU's which would go back to my account will also be extended in the month they expire (I presume Dec 21). They however will only be extended for some 2-3 months for now. So not too useful in my situation.
That's interesting. I have about 7 TSUs from 2019 that were extended but will now expire Dec 2021. While I had success requesting an extension to the Cat 1-4, I've been told they will not be extending the TSUs.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:25 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by WISEMEN
That's interesting. I have about 7 TSUs from 2019 that were extended but will now expire Dec 2021. While I had success requesting an extension to the Cat 1-4, I've been told they will not be extending the TSUs.
yeah, there seems to be different information. I'll also have to simply wait till December to see what really happens.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Concierge said that extensions are not approved for anything expiring on Dec 31 currently, and that any extension of that would be a possibility in the future, but not under the current guidelines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.