Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Bingo! For those of us who still spend more nights in Hyatt beds than our own beds at home, I also don't think there's anything unreasonable about asking for (or at least discussing in this group) an extension on the 6 mo Cat 7 certs (which are not easily awarded). Not everyone is trying to game the system, but there's nothing wrong trying to get some semblance of value out of a hard earned Cat 7 cert.

-FlyerBeek

then again I read a # of posts where the poster said they worked it out in order to cross the 60 nights late into 21 in order to have more time to use the cert. Which means if they are staying in hotels its not with Hyatt. So hitting in 12/21 gives them alot of time to use the cert where hopefully by then most places will back open
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by craz
then again I read a # of posts where the poster said they worked it out in order to cross the 60 nights late into 21 in order to have more time to use the cert. Which means if they are staying in hotels its not with Hyatt. So hitting in 12/21 gives them alot of time to use the cert where hopefully by then most places will back open
I think you can improve upon your reading your comprehension.

I did not read OP's posts. From reading your post above, I think OP meant to say is that, if OP is at close to 30 nights (not the usual 60 nights) now, he would like to hit the 30 night mark late of the year (say in November), instead of April. Since the Globalist FN is Cat 1-7, he would have a Cat 1-7 FN expires in Nov-2022, instead of Apr-2022. So the world would be far more normal by them.

Of course OP accumulated all the nights with Hyatt. Or he would not even hit the 30 or 60 nights.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun
I think you can improve upon your reading your comprehension.

I did not read OP's posts. From reading your post above, I think OP meant to say is that, if OP is at close to 30 nights (not the usual 60 nights) now, he would like to hit the 30 night mark late of the year (say in November), instead of April. Since the Globalist FN is Cat 1-7, he would have a Cat 1-7 FN expires in Nov-2022, instead of Apr-2022. So the world would be far more normal by them.

Of course OP accumulated all the nights with Hyatt. Or he would not even hit the 30 or 60 nights.
OK Im confused what does 30 nights have to do with anything? Yes it will make the person a Globalist but there arent any 1-7s until you hit 60 nights

OT: folks remember that the Chase $15K Spend for a 1-4 will be changing comes 1/22. You will have from whenever your AF hits till 12/31 to do the $15K and get a 1-4, then on 1/1 everything resets to a calendar yr basis. also as of 1/1 any amounts < $5 will not be brought forth to the next year , till now <$5K was brought forth so that if my last statement had me at $4998 spend and I spent $2 on 1/1 I got 2 nights credited, after 12/31 that wont be the case. So if your AF hits say 11/25 and you spend $15K and again during 1/22 you spend $15K you end up with 2 1-4s. No idea what would happen if your AF hits say on 12/10 you spend the $15K but since the statement doesnt close till 22 if you will get the cert or not for 21. Best to do your planning to grab an extra 1-4 That means for 21 - 22 you can earn 3 1-4s due to spend only. Then again a 2% CB will throw you $300 but the $15K earns 6 night credits as well It will be a YMMV issue for each person IMO as to what best to do
Old Apr 26, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
OT: folks remember that the Chase $15K Spend for a 1-4 will be changing comes 1/22. You will have from whenever your AF hits till 12/31 to do the $15K and get a 1-4, then on 1/1 everything resets to a calendar yr basis. also as of 1/1 any amounts < $5 will not be brought forth to the next year , till now <$5K was brought forth so that if my last statement had me at $4998 spend and I spent $2 on 1/1 I got 2 nights credited, after 12/31 that wont be the case.
First part is true ($15K spend re-setting to calendar year starting 2022)...second part is not though (there is no indication anywhere that the $5K/2 nights "resets" Jan 2022, as far as anyone knows it will keep going on indefinitely relative to your card open date).
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scoob72
Many thanks for reading this, firstly -- I greatly appreciate it.

I have just managed to hit Globalist and have been given a free night award certificate (any category) and another one for categories 1-4 via the various milestone targets. I notice, however, that each certificate expires in August '21, i.e. a six month window to use both. Given lockdown, etc., this seems pretty stingy.

Would any FTers know whether there is likely to be any movement from Hyatt in terms of extending these certificates?

Many thanks again.
Now I get chance to read OP's original post. It is a very legitimate question and some people would certainly wonder because there are only 3-4 months of windows to use those FN awards.

It is just interesting to see the same folks guarding the line. They behave like Hyatt guardian or police and try to push really hard for anyone who even wonders of this possibility of extension, how remote this could be.

I guess this is really hard for Hyatt. During the lockdowns, some folks jumped the quarantine and continued to hop around. Other folks followed advice from CDC and local government and did not travel at all. Now we are all affected in different ways.

I just feel some people here are wrong to try to stop other people from discussing....
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
OK Im confused what does 30 nights have to do with anything? Yes it will make the person a Globalist but there arent any 1-7s until you hit 60 nights[/QUOTE[
It's because there's a cat 1-4 certificate that kicks out at 30 nights that's subject to 180-day expiration (vs the credit card nights, which IIRC are good for a year or thereabouts). I see the underlying issue as being the 180-day certificates as a whole.

QUOTE=craz;33207808]OT: folks remember that the Chase $15K Spend for a 1-4 will be changing comes 1/22. You will have from whenever your AF hits till 12/31 to do the $15K and get a 1-4, then on 1/1 everything resets to a calendar yr basis. also as of 1/1 any amounts < $5 will not be brought forth to the next year , till now <$5K was brought forth so that if my last statement had me at $4998 spend and I spent $2 on 1/1 I got 2 nights credited, after 12/31 that wont be the case. So if your AF hits say 11/25 and you spend $15K and again during 1/22 you spend $15K you end up with 2 1-4s. No idea what would happen if your AF hits say on 12/10 you spend the $15K but since the statement doesnt close till 22 if you will get the cert or not for 21. Best to do your planning to grab an extra 1-4 That means for 21 - 22 you can earn 3 1-4s due to spend only. Then again a 2% CB will throw you $300 but the $15K earns 6 night credits as well It will be a YMMV issue for each person IMO as to what best to do
Okay, I'll agree with one thing: That is definitely OT for this thread.

(I don't even recall when my CC hits its AF date off the top of my head, either.)
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
First part is true ($15K spend re-setting to calendar year starting 2022)...second part is not though (there is no indication anywhere that the $5K/2 nights "resets" Jan 2022, as far as anyone knows it will keep going on indefinitely relative to your card open date).
when it was announced back when I called a couple of times (to Chase),and spoke with whomever to make sure I had it correct that once the AF hits we still had till 12/31 to earn a 1-4 and that wouldnt affect earning another one after 1/1/22. Was told thats correct, I also asked about any Spend <$5K being rolled over to 22 and I was told after 1/1/22 everything will be a year calendar and reset. Now as we all know could be both of them were wrong. But Id hate to be so close to the 5K and end up missing it by a few bucks and come 1/1 it resets.Of cause if I dont need the extra 2 nights I wouldnt care

Didnt mean to take the thread on a tanget, hopefully it can revert back to the topic at hand
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
If OP is at close to 30 nights (not the usual 60 nights) now, he would like to hit the 30 night mark late of the year (say in November), instead of April. Since the Globalist FN is Cat 1-7, he would have a Cat 1-7 FN expires in Nov-2022, instead of Apr-2022.
No he wouldn't as you do not receive any Cat 1-7 for hitting 30 nights.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
....I would think a person would rather spend the 150K on a 2%CB and have $3k in pocket then a Cat 1-7...
You’d have a lot more than a cat 7.

You’d have in addition at least 150k Hyatt points, a cat 4 at 30 nights, another at $15k spend (up to twice in 2021), another at the end of the year for holding the card, 5000 pts/$100 GC at 40, 4 TSUs, and a Concierge.

Whether all that is worth the $3k you could get with a CB card is surely debatable, but it is to me.
GUWonder, mbmd and invalyd like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Now I get chance to read OP's original post. It is a very legitimate question and some people would certainly wonder because there are only 3-4 months of windows to use those FN awards.

It is just interesting to see the same folks guarding the line. They behave like Hyatt guardian or police and try to push really hard for anyone who even wonders of this possibility of extension, how remote this could be.

I guess this is really hard for Hyatt. During the lockdowns, some folks jumped the quarantine and continued to hop around. Other folks followed advice from CDC and local government and did not travel at all. Now we are all affected in different ways.

I just feel some people here are wrong to try to stop other people from discussing....
Well, and the legal stuff in (say) Florida was far different than that in the "Northeastern bubble" (New England, NY, and NJ had similar rules in place IIRC) so you had folks who were either "traveling locally" (or arranging to use a hotel as a "day use" office space, something I've mostly ignored...but which I can see some folks stuck working from home doing just to have a little extra "space" for the day). NY was, for the longest time, trying to make quarantines stick for domestic travel, and I know some other states were as well. Other areas were rather laissez-faire...and the timelines for things expiring were pretty hit-or-miss.

I would point out that part of the issue, in a sense, is that Hyatt did their damnedest to induce travel over the winter (though admittedly the ball was rolling on that before the "winter wave" hit).
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:28 pm

It's surprising how much incorrect information is in this thread.

I would imagine that Hyatt will make a a decision on whether or not to extend based on their own data of what % of certs are actually being redeemed. While none of have access that data, I would go out on a limb and say they are being used plenty in 2021.

Besides, if you can't use the 1-7 before expiry just cash it in for 20k points (which unlike the cert can be combined with TSU or broken into multiple stays) and move on with your life.
mbmd likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:31 pm
Suspended

OK Im confused what does 30 nights have to do with anything? Yes it will make the person a Globalist but there arent any 1-7s until you hit 60 nights
Originally Posted by invalyd
No he wouldn't as you do not receive any Cat 1-7 for hitting 30 nights.
Not everyone gets the Cat 1-7 FN from 60-night milestone. This new card night may be 6-month. The Globalist night is 6-month.

It's surprising how much incorrect information is in this thread.
I clearly agree with part of your statement.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:34 pm

Not everyone gets the Cat 1-7 FN from 60-night milestone. This new card night may be 6-month. The Globalist night is 6-month.

I clearly agree with part of your statement.
Which offer was that?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:34 pm

Right, and your post was clearly referring to CC nights...

If OP is at close to 30 nights (not the usual 60 nights) now, he would like to hit the 30 night mark late of the year (say in November), instead of April. Since the Globalist FN is Cat 1-7, he would have a Cat 1-7 FN expires in Nov-2022, instead of Apr-2022.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Which offer was that?
It was a new card bonus offer.

Right, and your post was clearly referring to CC nights...
There are quite a few ways to get free night award. There are several CC FN awards.

I received a 12-month FN. No one can point out exactly what award this was. Not something I want to spend time to asking why.

So do not assume how folks receive their FNs. We all have our own situations. We do not need some Hyatt police or guardian here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.