Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland, Oregon - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Valet parking only - $47 for overnight parking
2 bottles of water daily, provided by front desk upon request
Hotel restaurant does not participate in World of Hyatt - not point earning restaurant.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland, Oregon - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Trying to decide where to stay for a 1 (or maximum 2) night stay in Portland. Haven't been there before, so not sure what to expect. Not really into art or museums, I'd just like to walk around a bit and get impression of the city.
Will probably have to work a bit from my room, so a desk would be nice.
Trying to decide between the Hyatt Centric and the Hotel Vance or Hi-Lo (or maybe the Moxy). Marriott Titanium and Hyatt Globalist. Which would you go with for a first time visit?
The Hyatt Centric looks best, but I have some Marriott offers on my Amex and Marriott also has double elite nights at the moment... So I'm slightly leaning towards Marriott...
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Trying to decide where to stay for a 1 (or maximum 2) night stay in Portland. Haven't been there before, so not sure what to expect. Not really into art or museums, I'd just like to walk around a bit and get impression of the city.
Will probably have to work a bit from my room, so a desk would be nice.
Trying to decide between the Hyatt Centric and the Hotel Vance or Hi-Lo (or maybe the Moxy). Marriott Titanium and Hyatt Globalist. Which would you go with for a first time visit?
The Hyatt Centric looks best, but I have some Marriott offers on my Amex and Marriott also has double elite nights at the moment... So I'm slightly leaning towards Marriott...
I really liked the Centric when I was there summer of 2020. The location is nice; lots of things to be able to walk to. I don't know about the other properties you mentioned. Breakfast at Centric was great but the restaurant has closed so probably not as good. There was a desk in my room. Some pics here: https://singleflyer.com/2020/07/07/h...rtland-review/
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you!
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I really liked the Centric when I was there summer of 2020. The location is nice; lots of things to be able to walk to. I don't know about the other properties you mentioned. Breakfast at Centric was great but the restaurant has closed so probably not as good. There was a desk in my room. Some pics here: https://singleflyer.com/2020/07/07/h...rtland-review/
I was at the Hyatt Centric last weekend. As a Hyatt Globalist, I didn't get the complimentary suite upgrade. The standard suites were available during the day time. However, they were gone by the time I arrived at the hotel to check in (due to an extended flight delay). So I can't really complaint about it since it is based on availability at check-in. The restaurant there is now open, and you will get a breakfast buffet with classic items such as fruits, cheese, bread, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs. They also have congee. The food is just okay. I will definitely stay there again more for the good location (compared with other Hyatts in the city), but not for suite upgrade or breakfast.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Like Single_Flyer, I quite enjoyed my 4-night stay at the Centric.

I had used a TSU and was booked into a one bedroom suite. The floors, ceiling and most walls were polished concrete which I didn't mind. It was quite spacious but didn't have a tub. There are motion-activated nightlights and USB outlets by the bed. The turntable is a quirky touch. I was on the 12th floor and heard the occasional clatter of the light rail but I didn't mind it or find it disturbing. The hotel largely has a 'trendy' vibe which I think works for it. I guess this is the Centric brand as a whole, though.

Check-in at 10.30pm took too long. I think one agent had ducked away to the toilet and the other was working the grab 'n' go when I arrived. There was no mention of my Hyatt 'loyalty' or the like. There are also no bellman. Apparently breakfast changed from a buffet to à la carte a couple of days before I arrived. There were only 9 items on the menu (only 2 of which really appealed to me) but what I sampled were all very nice, good-portioned and delivered quite quickly. As a Globalist, I wasn't charged for anything.

On check-out, the agent actually asked me not only how my stay was but if there was anything that could be improved on. I can count on one hand the number of times that happens in 60 Hyatt nights a year. It was impressive. My suggestion was to provide information on the website about public transportation to the hotel. When I landed at PDX, Uber and Lyft were both quoting upwards of $50 for a ride. Fortunately, there was an information desk that directed me to the light rail for $2.50. It's a 45-minute journey but there's a stop (convention, I think, but don't quote me) just 2 blocks from the hotel. Probably not ideal with a lot of luggage but a hell of a lot cheaper. I took the light rail on the return to the airport also but the return stop is a little further from the hotel and a bit more uphill. Still great value.

I like the location and I'd return at the right price point.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danger
Like Single_Flyer, I quite enjoyed my 4-night stay at the Centric.

I had used a TSU and was booked into a one bedroom suite. The floors, ceiling and most walls were polished concrete which I didn't mind. It was quite spacious but didn't have a tub. There are motion-activated nightlights and USB outlets by the bed. The turntable is a quirky touch. I was on the 12th floor and heard the occasional clatter of the light rail but I didn't mind it or find it disturbing. The hotel largely has a 'trendy' vibe which I think works for it. I guess this is the Centric brand as a whole, though.

Check-in at 10.30pm took too long. I think one agent had ducked away to the toilet and the other was working the grab 'n' go when I arrived. There was no mention of my Hyatt 'loyalty' or the like. There are also no bellman. Apparently breakfast changed from a buffet to à la carte a couple of days before I arrived. There were only 9 items on the menu (only 2 of which really appealed to me) but what I sampled were all very nice, good-portioned and delivered quite quickly. As a Globalist, I wasn't charged for anything.

On check-out, the agent actually asked me not only how my stay was but if there was anything that could be improved on. I can count on one hand the number of times that happens in 60 Hyatt nights a year. It was impressive. My suggestion was to provide information on the website about public transportation to the hotel. When I landed at PDX, Uber and Lyft were both quoting upwards of $50 for a ride. Fortunately, there was an information desk that directed me to the light rail for $2.50. It's a 45-minute journey but there's a stop (convention, I think, but don't quote me) just 2 blocks from the hotel. Probably not ideal with a lot of luggage but a hell of a lot cheaper. I took the light rail on the return to the airport also but the return stop is a little further from the hotel and a bit more uphill. Still great value.

I like the location and I'd return at the right price point.
HC Portland - Definitely an outlier property IMO.

The cash rates are tempting, but the parking fees are quite excessive, free though if you’re a Whiskey Library Member (very exclusive, very difficult to join and expensive).

However, now being a Category 3 it’s much more feasible to stay here. I definitely couldn’t justify it as a Category 4 even on the busiest season, especially when you often find cash rates of $120. To justify a stay as a Cat 3 cash rate would have to be ~$170 for me.

They don’t have a lot of suites (just one type) and only a handful of them IIRC.

Portland has just had a lot of issues since COVID hit which is saddening because it’s one of our favorite cities. Definitely always rent a car to check out neighboring cities, even drive to the coast, and of course visit Multnomah Falls.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
The cash rates are tempting, but the parking fees are quite excessive, free though if you’re a Whiskey Library Member (very exclusive, very difficult to join and expensive).
I spent a 10 nights here in May and always found street parking within 2-3 blocks... twice directly in front of the hotel. It's free from 7pm to 8am.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
I spent a 10 nights here in May and always found street parking within 2-3 blocks... twice directly in front of the hotel. It's free from 7pm to 8am.
We typically aren’t out of bed until 9-10am and some day like to relax in the afternoon after a delicious lunch from the pods. But if you’re an early riser good for you we go for vacation instead of business.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:14 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
There is paid public parking diagonally across the hotel for 35 dollars per night.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
There is paid public parking diagonally across the hotel for 35 dollars per night.
On a 10 night stay that’s $350. The cash rates I see are usually $120 (I travel off peak) so that’s about 30% additional cost per night just to park.

I typically have ended up staying in nearby Beaverton on our trips over the last 5 years due primarily to parking fees in Portland but the same could be said of almost every major downtown area.

Portland is a VERY walkable city, but when we visit we like to go to St. helens, the coast Multnomah Falls, and other areas for food that aren’t walkable, otherwise we’d just light rail to downtown and walk everywhere.

Usually when we visit Chicago or NYC or just Uber to downtown and walk everywhere on our trip (we also take the underground trains in NYC when absolutely needed it’s a bit hard carry a stroller down there though).
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:34 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt4200
On a 10 night stay that’s $350. The cash rates I see are usually $120 (I travel off peak) so that’s about 30% additional cost per night just to park.

I typically have ended up staying in nearby Beaverton on our trips over the last 5 years due primarily to parking fees in Portland but the same could be said of almost every major downtown area.

Portland is a VERY walkable city, but when we visit we like to go to St. helens, the coast Multnomah Falls, and other areas for food that aren’t walkable, otherwise we’d just light rail to downtown and walk everywhere.

Usually when we visit Chicago or NYC or just Uber to downtown and walk everywhere on our trip (we also take the underground trains in NYC when absolutely needed it’s a bit hard carry a stroller down there though).
Another option is to negotiate a parking rate with the garage that Hyatt uses (The garage next to the Daily Feast). I am sure they will have weekly rates that is much cheaper than Hyatt's or any other daily parking rates. The monthly rate there is 220/month. So even worth it to just pay the monthly rate, versus Hyatt.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:20 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Did the area around the hotel seem safe to park overnight? I guess it's a better question for the locals. I am planning a trip to Portland and want to try this property, but the parking fee makes it a difficult choice.

LAX
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Did the area around the hotel seem safe to park overnight? I guess it's a better question for the locals. I am planning a trip to Portland and want to try this property, but the parking fee makes it a difficult choice.

LAX
Yes - no problem.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United Silver, American Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
This hotel overall was a great stay for us - but a few odd encounter with the manager on duty soured the ending of an otherwise no frills stay. We stayed one night - no upgrade which was totally okay given how busy they were with graduation season (stay was back in June). Hotel was about a 50 minute ride on the light rail.

Breakfast was in the lobby restaurant - staff were efficient and the food was very tasty.

Upon checking out - I asked the front desk staff to use my gift card from Hyatt. The front desk staffer said she needed to get her manager. The manager informed me they don't do gift cards upon check out which I found very odd. She claimed I needed to call Hyatt in advance and have them redeem the card for my reservation. Again I did not believe her but didn't want to argue as we had a plane to catch. I called Hyatt Glob line the following day in disbelief - and sure enough they contacted the hotel and spoke with another manager who confirmed they do indeed accept Hyatt gift cards and this was a training issue. Bummer to not be able to use my gift card and just an overall bizarre customer service exp.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Zomanji
This hotel overall was a great stay for us - but a few odd encounter with the manager on duty soured the ending of an otherwise no frills stay. We stayed one night - no upgrade which was totally okay given how busy they were with graduation season (stay was back in June). Hotel was about a 50 minute ride on the light rail.

Breakfast was in the lobby restaurant - staff were efficient and the food was very tasty.

Upon checking out - I asked the front desk staff to use my gift card from Hyatt. The front desk staffer said she needed to get her manager. The manager informed me they don't do gift cards upon check out which I found very odd. She claimed I needed to call Hyatt in advance and have them redeem the card for my reservation. Again I did not believe her but didn't want to argue as we had a plane to catch. I called Hyatt Glob line the following day in disbelief - and sure enough they contacted the hotel and spoke with another manager who confirmed they do indeed accept Hyatt gift cards and this was a training issue. Bummer to not be able to use my gift card and just an overall bizarre customer service exp.
Gift cards are always quirky and I'd recommend bringing it up sooner in the future. They can apply it ahead of time and there's a decent percentage chance that the first agent (or two) you speak with will not know how to use it.

Of course it shouldn't be that way and a bummer that it affected you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.