Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland, Oregon - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Valet parking only - $47 for overnight parking
2 bottles of water daily, provided by front desk upon request
Hotel restaurant does not participate in World of Hyatt - not point earning restaurant.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland, Oregon - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt glob, KLM/AirFrance plat
Originally Posted by synzero
This hotel management clearly doesn't grasp the fact that these sorts of nickel and diming moves ARE noticed by folks and they DO lead to people avoiding the hotel. It's strange how in Europe the hotels never do this, they provide excellent breakfast at every level, and only US properties seem to do this. Totally ridiculous and creates a negative spiral as people talk about the nickel and diming and it directs reservations away from the hotel.

The above thread confirms my desire to avoid this hotel for our upcoming Portland stay, and stay at the Hyatt House instead. I don't like Hyatt House breakfasts but it's Portland, after all, and might as well eat at one of the myriad amazing breakfast places in the city rather than getting a sub-par cheap breakfast at the Centric.
It looks like back in 2021 the hotel was transitioned from full Hyatt corp ownership to being an independently owned franchisee (Liberty Hotel Investments, according to Wikipedia). Not sure if that was always the plan, or it was the pandemic what made it more of a burden than an asset for Hyatt. But anyways, it would explain the sudden change of course.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by pronichkin
It looks like back in 2021 the hotel was transitioned from full Hyatt corp ownership to being an independently owned franchisee (Liberty Hotel Investments, according to Wikipedia). Not sure if that was always the plan, or it was the pandemic what made it more of a burden than an asset for Hyatt. But anyways, it would explain the sudden change of course.
Hyatt corporate is making a point of continuing towards being an asset-light hospitality brand, as per this press release from May. Hyatt Hotels Corporation - Hyatt Investor Day to Highlight Asset-Light Transformation and Expectations for Significant Expansion in Free Cash Flow

Perhaps this is the way the capital markets' winds are blowing. I think in select circumstances (like Alila Ventana) they're willing to buy the property, for instance to keep it in the system. But otherwise it now seems even more common for them to not own the property, and I agree this could explain the sudden change of course [for breakfast].
pronichkin likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Also, I'm trying to decide on a summer weekend stay here vs. House. (Asked in the House thread, but figure they'll get different eyeballs.) They're about the same rate, though at first glance, the Centric looks like it has a nicer location? My events are in the NE of the city, and both properties seem equally distant. Won't have an automobile.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:52 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Also, I'm trying to decide on a summer weekend stay here vs. House. (Asked in the House thread, but figure they'll get different eyeballs.) They're about the same rate, though at first glance, the Centric looks like it has a nicer location? My events are in the NE of the city, and both properties seem equally distant. Won't have an automobile.
The Centric is close to the Pearl district and easy walking to a lot of restaurants and shops. The Hyatt house will be closer to the river front (wharf area with shops/restaurant) and good running path. You'll be abit further from downtown shops/restaurants, but Uber is super easy. Parking is expensive for the Centric, but there is an adjacent 24 hour parking lot, I believe for around 39 dollars.

Personally, I would choose the Centric for ease of walking. If you don't mind going outside the hotel for breakfast, I highly recommend the Daily Feast, which is about a block away.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Jun 23, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked ten nights here for an upcoming visit to a customer by the airport. The HC was the cheapest of all the big chains but their usurious $45/night parking fee eliminates that savings. Looking around there's several parking decks within a few blocks that are a lot less and I can handle walking a few blocks. The airport HP was $50 more per night and even if I paid the HC parking it'd still be a little less, plus a lot more fooding options.

If anyone has cheap parking tips, I'd appreciate it. Street parking is free from 1900 to 0800?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
I am guessing if you pull in after 5pm and out by 8:59am, the rate would be $5+$7.40.

For me, I would not be comfortable leaving the car in the garage for 10 nights. Nevertheless, garage might have security cameras and makes it slightly better than parking on the street for free.

olouie likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:30 am

10 nights is a long time at this property, the nearby garages are not that safe so your best but most expensive option is to valet with hotel. Still many smashed windows around. I’ve street parked there but for 1-2 nights only.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I park on the street here without issue, but I'm also usually only staying one night.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Y'all make Portland sound like it's Mogadishu... I think I can handle this. I will def check out that garage on 10th & Yamhill, thx 168

What?
It's a yam on a hill.
It's a hill of yams.
Oh, yammit.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Y'all make Portland sound like it's Mogadishu... I think I can handle this. I will def check out that garage on 10th & Yamhill, thx 168

What?
It's a yam on a hill.
It's a hill of yams.
Oh, yammit.
If you see the amount of broken glass on the ground both in garages and street it might change your mind.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
If you see the amount of broken glass on the ground both in garages and street it might change your mind.
So don't leave anything of value in the car. Aside from cat-cons there's little fast money in car parts, and fast money is the target.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist

What?
It's a yam on a hill.
It's a hill of yams.
Oh, yammit.
Make a joke if you want, but downtown Portland is not a great place right now. I rarely venture in but only for an essential business meeting at this point, otherwise I'm very happy away from the insanity out in the ex-burbs. I know dozens of people who have had their cars broken into or CC stolen in the last year, not to mention the general unsightliness of that particular area. It's borderline lawless.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:35 pm

So don't leave anything of value in the car. Aside from cat-cons there's little fast money in car parts, and fast money is the target.
Yes generally good advice but lots of mentally ill and drug addicts in downtown still. Few months ago I stayed at HH but was downtown and saw a guy just smash a row of car windows without stealing anything around 9am and walk off. They also smash the windows to check if anything in the trunk - so I’ve taken to renting SUVs where it’s clear nothing is inside.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
The breakfast at this Hyatt location is fantastic, the chef is really good.

Also, the Smores cafe just outside the front door is amazing too.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
The breakfast at this Hyatt location is fantastic, the chef is really good.

Also, the Smores cafe just outside the front door is amazing too.
The whiskey library across the street is amazing as well. Lots of good dining and drinking nearby.
JoeWoodstock and pronichkin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.