Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland, Oregon - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Valet parking only - $47 for overnight parking
2 bottles of water daily, provided by front desk upon request
Hotel restaurant does not participate in World of Hyatt - not point earning restaurant.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:45 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG

New Portland hotel opened on 10 Feb 2020

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/or...portland/pdxct

Press release: https://newsroom.hyatt.com/021020Hya...ific-Northwest

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland Opens Today as the Hyatt Centric Brands First Hotel in the Pacific Northwest
New 220-room downtown Portland, Ore. hotel marks the latest opening for Hyatts fastest-growing lifestyle brandCHICAGO (February 10, 2020) Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE:H) today announced the opening of Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland in Oregon, the first Hyatt Centric hotel in the Pacific Northwest. The 220-room hotel is located in the heart of Portlands hip West End District, just steps from high-end eateries and landmarks such as Powells Books and the Pearl District. The new hotel features a modern design and sleek guestrooms, as well as noteworthy amenities, including a vinyl player in the hotels 13 suites and 11 studio rooms, an impressive array of local art, and a Catalan and Spanish-inspired restaurant helmed by celebrated Portland chef Jose Chesa. The nearby MAX Light Rail and Portland Streetcar stop offer easy access to discover Portlands city center and Eastside neighborhoods, and to travel to and from Portland International Airport (PDX).

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland is the ideal jumping off point to begin a cultural quest of Portlands unique character and sought-after spots in its distinct neighborhoods, including a wide array of art galleries, breweries and James Beard award-winning restaurants, said General Manager Scott Lane. We look forward to being the gateway for our guests to explore local hot spots and hidden gems, ensuring they never miss a moment of adventure in Rose City.

• Guestroom at Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland

• MASIA restaurant at Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland

• Exterior of Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland
Designed by leading Portland-based developer and design builder Mortenson, in partnership with Sera Architects, Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland delivers a unique take on Oregon, focusing on the citys deep craftsman history and its interaction with the landscape.

A convergence of modern industrial and contemporary elements, complemented by locally influenced accents, creates a sense of place for guests and gives a nod to the citys quirky character. The Portland Penny adorns each in-room closet, paying homage to the 1835 American copper penny that was used in an 1845 coin toss to name the new town of Portland. Each suite showcases hand-stitched life-size chicken footstools by The City Girl Farm, speaking to the farming and agriculture around the city.

MASIA, the hotels signature restaurant open for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner, serves Catalan and Spanish-inspired cuisine, and boasts a shared plate menu, refined vermouth selection, inspired cocktails, and Spanish wine list. Under Chef Jose Chesa, MASIA offers an assortment of both contemporary and traditional Spanish classics, combining fresh ingredients and bold flavors to create a memorable dining experience. MASIA Bar, the hotels lobby bar, offers a welcoming ambiance where guests can enjoy vinyl playlists featuring local artists and a premium selection of Vermouth cocktails. Additionally, chef Jose Chesas famed 180 Xurros returns, serving as Hyatt Centric Downtown Portlands 24-hour market, and bringing hot xurros and coffee from Portlands Never Coffee Lab to guests and locals from the hotels lobby.

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland is pet-friendly and welcomes its pet guests with a bowl, treat and in-room bed. The hotel features a 24-hour fitness center and three meeting spaces, including the 1,368-square-foot Pettygrove Room, which can be divided in half to accommodate smaller groups, and 428-square-foot technology-driven boardroom, Lovejoy, named after one of Portlands founders.

Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland is located at 601 SW 11 Ave. (corner of 11th Ave. and Alder St.). For more information or to make a reservation, please visit www.HyattCentricDowntownPortland.com, join the conversation on Facebook at @HyattCentricPDX and Instagram at @HyattCentricPDX, or call 503-595-1234.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 11, 2020 at 10:47 pm Reason: added pictures
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Also note this is a Category 4 Property.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Staying end of month. Hope better than HH
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:43 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Will be there next Friday, looking forward to a Hyatt property that's not off the beaten path.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
What I'm not liking about the direction these new build US Centrics seem to be taking (looking at you as well, Hyatt Centric Boston) is the relatively small room size. Looks like King rooms at this property start at 254 sq ft-- I remember the day when that was definitely the norm in a market like NYC, but not someplace like Portland.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dw
What I'm not liking about the direction these new build US Centrics seem to be taking (looking at you as well, Hyatt Centric Boston) is the relatively small room size. Looks like King rooms at this property start at 254 sq ft-- I remember the day when that was definitely the norm in a market like NYC, but not someplace like Portland.
I'm guessing no bathtub either.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:40 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by dw
I normally stay at the Hi-Lo which starts a bit smaller and it works fine for me. I guess if you're travelling with more than a couple it might be a bit cramped, but I'd rather have a hotel in a great location for a good price than a large room that I'm barely using anyway.

Can't beat the price either. My corp rate at the Centric is 15-20% cheaper than the Marriotts I stay at. I just saw the HR Convention Center is ridiculously cheap right now as well... glad Hyatt is offering more options than the airport or HH now.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:40 pm

Feels like Hi-lo. Well, the lobby is small like Hi-lo but more bright lights (light as decoration is a theme here). Room definitely has that industrial feel with concrete floors exposed, thouugh walls are not as exposed here and ceiling is lower (do not know if high ceilings are true for all Hi-lo rooms).
No tub, walk-in shower. Sink separate from toilet/shower stall.
Also has Kimpton vibe, with robes and list of complimetary items (and also things to borrow).
Keurig coffee and Smith tea, bottles of water are aluminum, Beekind disposable toiletries. Small fridge in closet as well as safe (closet as in the cabinet-closet kind, a standalone one)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:42 pm

desk not included

Oh yea, for those who want a desk, not all rooms have them (my corner view king does not)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by dw
But Portland has the tiny house for comparison. Which is 150 for a big one (there are 2 tiny house hotels here, Tiny Digs and Caravan).
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:37 pm

Anyone stay here recently with a review? Am looking at a guys trip in a few month and wondering if this might be a good home base to stay at vs. Kimptons
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by jinu11
Anyone stay here recently with a review? Am looking at a guys trip in a few month and wondering if this might be a good home base to stay at vs. Kimptons
I didn't get any photos but stayed in a king room last weekend. While nothing wowed me about the hotel, it is in a fantastic location close to light rail, bars and blue star donuts. If you're globalist the breakfast benefit is amazing (Spanish tortilla and brunch paella were really good), but if not plenty of restaurants in Portland to try outside the hotel. If you guys like to have a few drinks before going out be aware that there is no dedicated bar or market with alcohol, so if the restaurant is busy like it was when i was there you may need to go elsewhere.

The room being brand new was nice, bed was fine, and plenty of electrical outlets around. My only complaint is the awkward layout of the desk and chairs leaving nowhere to put a suitcase. If the guys trip involves spending as much time outside the hotel (breweries, hiking, whatever) it's a decent base to crash at. The Kimpton (Hotel Vintage?) is a bit more upscale, but they are all (except the waterfront one) in the same general location and should be good options.

I may actually stay at the convention center on my next trip if the rates stay as low as they are now. The rooms should be bigger and light rail stops pretty much in front of the hotel. Not much nightlife around, but quick redline or uber into downtown and I believe it will be more convenient getting to non-downtown areas.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by CaitlinColem
I am planning a trip to a conference and want to stay at this hotel as it has a convenient location. Interested in the quality of repair, but how long has it been updated? Because I plan to come with my children.
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. This is a brand new hotel/brand new build that opened less than a year ago. It is not a conversion. Everything is brand new and high quality.

I have a bunch of photos of the property here: https://singleflyer.com/2020/07/07/h...rtland-review/
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:44 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
As a Marriott Ambassador switching to Hyatt as a Globalist, the second time around at this property was better than the first. I first came here as a non status member in June 2020. I usually stay at Nines in Portland as a Marriott Ambassador, and Marriott Waterfront during riots/COVID. Compared to June 2020 when I first stayed here: The restaurant Masia is as fantastic as the first time (friendly servers and great food. Skip the Bikini sandwich, and stick with the burrito!). I've got upgraded to the highest floor corner king room, and it is a great skyline view. The front desk staff are as friendly and helpful as the first. Globalist receive a breakfast voucher.

I've got a chance to speak with their regional director of sales and marketing, and confirms I made the right decision to switch over to Hyatt from Marriott. The little customer service gestures (no cost to the hotel chain) is what makes the biggest differences to keep return customers/business, such as opening a dialogue, and to just be a human being and connect. He wants his customers to have the best stays possible, and wants to make sure Hyatt is doing everything possible to keep the return business.

The location is within the Pearl district, and lots of other shops and restaurants is an easy 5 minute walk away. For business travelers, there is a CVS about 5-7 minute walk away near Whole Foods.

Overall, I would highly recommend this property for its friendly staff, location, amenities (gym), and rooms (some travelers may find them small when compared to other properties). This is my go to property for Portland related business travel.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Has anyone been at this property recently? It sounds like the restaurant may have shut - any idea on what one would receive as globalist breakfast in that situation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.