FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland, Oregon - REVIEW MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:54 pm
projectmaximus

Originally Posted by Zomanji
This hotel overall was a great stay for us - but a few odd encounter with the manager on duty soured the ending of an otherwise no frills stay. We stayed one night - no upgrade which was totally okay given how busy they were with graduation season (stay was back in June). Hotel was about a 50 minute ride on the light rail.

Breakfast was in the lobby restaurant - staff were efficient and the food was very tasty.

Upon checking out - I asked the front desk staff to use my gift card from Hyatt. The front desk staffer said she needed to get her manager. The manager informed me they don't do gift cards upon check out which I found very odd. She claimed I needed to call Hyatt in advance and have them redeem the card for my reservation. Again I did not believe her but didn't want to argue as we had a plane to catch. I called Hyatt Glob line the following day in disbelief - and sure enough they contacted the hotel and spoke with another manager who confirmed they do indeed accept Hyatt gift cards and this was a training issue. Bummer to not be able to use my gift card and just an overall bizarre customer service exp.
Gift cards are always quirky and I'd recommend bringing it up sooner in the future. They can apply it ahead of time and there's a decent percentage chance that the first agent (or two) you speak with will not know how to use it.

Of course it shouldn't be that way and a bummer that it affected you.