Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:11 pm

ADO is the bus company that runs many routes in the Yucatan Peninsula area. They have a stop at the airport, which has frequent service to Playa del Carmen, about every 15 minutes or so. Personally, I'd take their bus, and from the station to the hotel, it's a 10-min walk or 100-peso taxi ride. Taxi at CUN is quite a hassle, as you need to haggle with the driver directly. I really wish they have something like in GDL, where you buy prepaid taxi passes from a counter inside (price depends on destination), so no one is getting ripped off.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
A “real” cab is about $40. If you’re paying anything close to $100 you’re getting really ripped off. $200 is just extortion.
The last time I was there, real cabs were charging $100+ (over 4th of July week 2021). No matter where I am, I typically do pretty well with negotiating prices but that was absolutely the lowest available from any source at CUN that I could find. I was absolutely shocked and couldn't believe how many folks were walking off with drivers after committing anywhere between $100 and $250 for a taxi ride. Made ADO a very easy decision and it turned out to be a very smooth, comfy ride.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wb2020
The last time I was there, real cabs were charging $100+ (over 4th of July week 2021). No matter where I am, I typically do pretty well with negotiating prices but that was absolutely the lowest available from any source at CUN that I could find. I was absolutely shocked and couldn't believe how many folks were walking off with drivers after committing anywhere between $100 and $250 for a taxi ride. Made ADO a very easy decision and it turned out to be a very smooth, comfy ride.
I'll definitely look into the bus.

Any tips on the closest / cheapest place I can get a covid test for my return to the US? Does the hotel have them?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Never, ever, ever take a taxi at an airport stand in a developing country. You are asking for trouble and it could be dangerous.

The taxi rates in Cancun are regulated. When I was there in November I used Taxi Cancun which has a Whatsapp number... they were great. Sent me a picture of the driver, were waiting with a sign. I would definitely recommend them. Cancun Taxi: Seguro, Confiable y Privado.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Never, ever, ever take a taxi at an airport stand in a developing country. You are asking for trouble and it could be dangerous.

The taxi rates in Cancun are regulated. When I was there in November I used Taxi Cancun which has a Whatsapp number... they were great. Sent me a picture of the driver, were waiting with a sign. I would definitely recommend them. Cancun Taxi: Seguro, Confiable y Privado.
Great, thanks for the tip. It looks like 950 pesos each way when paying in cash, which is reasonable.

The guy was waiting for you with a sign? Did you book it before you arrived?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Great, thanks for the tip. It looks like 950 pesos each way when paying in cash, which is reasonable.

The guy was waiting for you with a sign? Did you book it before you arrived?
Yes, you have to book it in advance.

What you do is fill out the form online, then they send you a message on Whatsapp (for your security and theirs).

They confirm the details and then send you a picture of the driver that will meet you as you come out of customs. He has a sign with your name.

Great service and very safe.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:21 pm

I'll definitely look into the bus.

Any tips on the closest / cheapest place I can get a covid test for my return to the US? Does the hotel have them?
Sounds like you've find a good taxi solution. Was going to say that while the bus is cheap and convenient, finding the bus station at the airport is not easy, depending on which terminal you exit from. If you're not familiar with the layout, it could be very confusing.

For the test, most hotels in the area provide one for free when you stay X+ days. Even when not free, they'll still be able to arrange one for you. Or, I remember there's a testing station right by the ADO bus station in PDC, and their sign promises results in 30 minutes.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:41 pm

Guys and gals...

For crying out loud you've paid hundreds to travel to Mexico. ADO is probably the safest bus line in Mexico but why bother with this to save a few bucks? This is your safety.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
There is a Covid testing site on virtually every corner in PDC. There's one literally right next to the front door of the Thompson, you can't miss it. The price everywhere is MXN 500 ($25) and they all take credit cards, even Amex. Worry not about your Covid test, it's very very very easy.
VegasGambler and wb2020 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I just completed a two night stay here on points. I'd say they treat Globalists pretty great. Breakfast was fairly generous, but you can only order about half of the items on the menu for free, but for the non free ones, they're half off for Globalists, so you're only paying $6. Cheap, sure, but the free ones were all I wanted anyway.

While I didn't receive a suite, I did get a front facing room with a balcony, and that was an upgrade in my book. The room was comfortable, and I really enjoyed the couch on the balcony. I was given 4:00 PM check out with no fuss, but they just ask that you request it on the day you leave. Service was top notch. Servers would regularly come up to you to check in at the pool, and I ordered a bucket of ice to my room every night that usually showed up in about 3 minutes. The bartenders that do the free tequila tasting are knowledgeable, and make what is basically a gimmick pretty fun.

It's a Thompson, so I brought my dog. You can take them everywhere at both properties (even to the pool) which I enjoyed.

I was working while I was here, so I didn't really come to party at the pool. It's important to know that this really is a party hotel. You can get peace and quiet in your room, but basically every other inch of the hotel will be pumping EDM beats 24/7. It's not obnoxious, and I certainly enjoyed sending emails at the pool, but if you need to hop on serious important business calls to super important serious business clients and associates, you'll probably need to do it in your room. I would recommend trying to schedule housekeeping because if you don't, they'll inevitably come in when you're on a call.
VegasGambler and wb2020 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I just completed a two night stay here on points. I'd say they treat Globalists pretty great. Breakfast was fairly generous, but you can only order about half of the items on the menu for free, but for the non free ones, they're half off for Globalists, so you're only paying $6. Cheap, sure, but the free ones were all I wanted anyway.

While I didn't receive a suite, I did get a front facing room with a balcony, and that was an upgrade in my book.
That’s unfortunate about breakfast - up until recently it was “order whatever you want and as much as you want”.

They don’t really have proper suites here, the “suites” are just larger versions of the same room. Some have slightly larger balconies and I think there are a few with a “hot tub” too.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
There is a Covid testing site on virtually every corner in PDC. There's one literally right next to the front door of the Thompson, you can't miss it. The price everywhere is MXN 500 ($25) and they all take credit cards, even Amex. Worry not about your Covid test, it's very very very easy.
+1 to this. Testing in Playa (and Tulum) is very cheap and easy.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Yes, you have to book it in advance.

What you do is fill out the form online, then they send you a message on Whatsapp (for your security and theirs).

They confirm the details and then send you a picture of the driver that will meet you as you come out of customs. He has a sign with your name.

Great service and very safe.
How was the vehicle compared to Canada Transfer (and the like)?
I'm not fan of being picked up in a 10 passenger vehicle when it's just the two of us. The suburban option is looking attractive, but it's double the cost.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjm
How was the vehicle compared to Canada Transfer (and the like)?
I'm not fan of being picked up in a 10 passenger vehicle when it's just the two of us. The suburban option is looking attractive, but it's double the cost.
It was a 7 pax vehicle which quite frankly doesn't bother me. It's excessive but so is driving in absurdly large trucks and SUVs in the US for me- massive amount of wasted space. So basically I agree with you.

You're correct... there are other options but you pay for it. But if comfort is your choice then I would find a more expensive service and book in advance. I would never take a cab from the stand in a developing country.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm here now. I like it a lot (and did not realize that they are adults only, which is a plus)

However they are a bit hit or miss with globalist benefits. They charge for premium internet, and while breakfast is comped, the gratuity is not. I'll discuss with the front desk at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.