Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
1.75 lb lobster has about 7 ounces of lobster meat, a great portion, but half would leave me very hungry.
Hers a picture it was definitely more than your typical serving.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
No reviews yet?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
I pre-paid for F&B deal for 50% off but I'm guessing I got less than that because of currency conversion and the bill didn't look quite right to me, but the bill wasn't categorized like most Hyatts like - Breakfast, lunch and dinner or alcohol codes on it. Also the view your room charges in the app had been disabled apparently so I couldn't track it without talking to front desk. If you stay here I would highly recommend the lobster its about 1.75 lbs of lobster, I can eat a substantial amount of food on vacation but it was pretty much enough for my wife and I with an app.
Were there any restrictions on the 50% "discount" food and beverage credit? I was considering doing that while on a WFH reservation if it was usable at restaurants open for lunch and dinner (since breakfast is included).
Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looks like the Beach House property has shut down until (at least?) 12/15.
In light of COVID-19, the hotel has temporarily suspended normal operations and is not currently offering restaurant, bar, or other services at this time. The hotel will be accepting room reservations for stays from December 15, 2020 and beyond. For more information, please contact the hotel directly or your nearest Global Contact Center
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
When do they email you the 50% off prepaid option? Will be there next week. Haven't heard from them yet.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by SP03
When do they email you the 50% off prepaid option? Will be there next week. Haven't heard from them yet.
I never got an email from them. It was brought up during check in as a "special offer". Assuming it's still available, it wasn't a "one time" thing. You could go back to the front desk and top up your balance multiple times. Just make sure you keep track of what you're pre-paying and spending as you go along since their invoice system leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I never got an email from them. It was brought up during check in as a "special offer". Assuming it's still available, it wasn't a "one time" thing. You could go back to the front desk and top up your balance multiple times. Just make sure you keep track of what you're pre-paying and spending as you go along since their invoice system leaves a lot to be desired.
Is there a minimum? I'm only there for two days. Wondering how much I should prepaid, vs go out to the town. Breakfast is not interested so I wouldn't mind getting breakfast there.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by SP03
Is there a minimum? I'm only there for two days. Wondering how much I should prepaid, vs go out to the town. Breakfast is not interested so I wouldn't mind getting breakfast there.
Minimum is $50 (so $100 credit). Breakfast is $10-15 for an entree, $3-5 for a coffee. Cocktails are $10-15. If you're going to be having breakfast at the hotel and a few cocktails then it's probably worth doing $50.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Minimum is $50 (so $100 credit). Breakfast is $10-15 for an entree, $3-5 for a coffee. Cocktails are $10-15. If you're going to be having breakfast at the hotel and a few cocktails then it's probably worth doing $50.
They let me add more on the second day. Like day one checkin I added some then day two after I knew I was going over they let me buy more. Checked out the next morning.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:04 am

Thanks! I'll probably get $50 to start at check in.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:08 pm

Any recent stays at Thompson Beach House PDC? Checking in for 3 nights on Tuesday. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Any recent stays at Thompson Beach House PDC? Checking in for 3 nights on Tuesday. Thanks!
How was your stay?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
How was your stay?
It was great! I used a suite upgrade and got a very spacious room with an ocean view (though towards the back of the hotel directly above the lobby). The breakfast was fantastic. It was a shame that the whole stretch of beach was infested with sargassum, but that's not the hotel's fault. Also, it rained a lot so we didn't even use the pool. The complementary cocktails were great and they have a decent mezcal selection. My parents had a room with a heated plunge pool on the balcony which I highly recommend if you can get it. That room, however, does not have a bath tub if you prize that.

If it was a choice between Thompson Beach House or Grand Hyatt, though, I'd choose Grand Hyatt overall.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
TravelingChef and 59Impala like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:49 pm

Daftryan curious why you'd choose the Grand Hyatt over the Thompson?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
This review is a little delayed but in November 2021 I stayed at the Main House and came away with a mostly good impression. I will share some of the items of note.
  1. For Globalist breakfast you are given a specific set menu that you have to order from. If you want to order anything off the regular menu you will be charged. The set menu is nice with an ample amount of food and high quality but if you are there for a lot of nights it will get repetitive.
  2. There are no "true suites" here. If you use an upgrade you will get a better room but I would consider it more of a junior suite since it was just a larger room. We were able to experience two different suites while at property and they are very nice.
  3. We arrived sort of late at night (post 9pm) and were asked to pay for our stay in full at check-in. This is not something I've ever experienced considering it wasn't a pre-paid/pay in advance stay. I complied but was a bit taken aback when asked for full payment but not presented an itemized bill. In retrospect I should have pushed back because there was a mixup on the amount charged. The next morning I went back to check on and the front desk quickly found out that we were charged the upgrade fee that Hyatt reimburses the property. They were very apologetic and super nice about it. As a goodwill gesture they upgraded us to an even better room. This time we ended up with what they called the 2nd best room in the property. It was much nicer, had a wraparound deck and an outdoor bathtub. Overall I was pleased with the resolution and don't fault the honest mistake of the night agent.
  4. Parking is tricky. The hotel is located on a pedestrian only street. During the day this is not an issue as in limited situations you can drive down the pedestrian street to the hotel. However at night the street shuts down as there is famous night club (Coco Bongo) on it and so you have to double park and go flag the bellman/valet to come meet you and get the car. It was very confusing the first night so if you make it to Coco Bongo you have arrived. The website directions do not make the pedestrian street clear.
Would I return?
  • Overall I would. It is not your typical Cancun resort hotel experience but the hotel is very nice and centrally located if you want to be in Playa del Carmen. Don't expect a resort atmosphere and think of this more as a really nice city hotel and your expectations will be well calibrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.