Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked out today. My only complaints are the nickel and diming over premium internet and breakfast tip.

However, there are a lot of great things about this hotel:
  • Daily housekeeping (not "on request", by default). Sad that this counts as a "pro" but that's the world we live in now.
  • The fact that the hotel pool is a day club is great (maybe not a pro for everyone). And they do not charge for daybeds, etc, which many hotel pools do.
  • The price is right. This hotel is a steal as a cat 3.
  • Breakfast is pretty good.
  • The food in the hotel restaurants is pretty good. Seafood is VERY fresh.

I've already booked my next trip. 11 nights for 108k points (loving this peak / off-peak stuff -- most nights are 9k pts). And I'll get 20% back from the CC promo, so actually only 86.4k pts: 7854 pts/night.

Overall the breakfast tip thing bugs me -- it comes off as cheap -- but I'd rather pay that than have them apply a $200 min spend (or charge) for a day bed like some hotels do.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does anybody have a summary of the differences between the main house and beach? Like is the access to amenities different? Guess I'm just a bit confused with such a big category gap between 2 properties that seem adjacent. I booked one night at main house for 9k points that I'm planning to do after 3 nights at the Conrad Tulum. Seems like a great deal for the price.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:00 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Does anybody have a summary of the differences between the main house and beach? Like is the access to amenities different? Guess I'm just a bit confused with such a big category gap between 2 properties that seem adjacent. I booked one night at main house for 9k points that I'm planning to do after 3 nights at the Conrad Tulum. Seems like a great deal for the price.
I think the only difference is the location. Main House is 2 blocks back from the beach. As a Globalist at Main House I was told I had access to all the facilities at the Beach house, and could take breakfast at either property
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Acres to everything is the same. You can do breakfast at either property too. The properties are very close ... maybe a 5 minute walk. The only difference seems to be that some people are willing to pay a lot more for a room with an ocean view. I have not been inside the rooms at the beach house so I don't know if they are nicer but the rooms at the main house were nice and modern -- certainly no issues.

It really is a very good value. Don't forget that you get a 20% rebate on your points booking if you have the Hyatt CC and you stay in April or May (so that 9k pts becomes 7200)

Note that you are right in the middle of a touristy nightlife area, which is extremely loud. The are several nightclubs all blaring music. If you are annoyed by noise, do not expect to sleep before 4am. Personally I am rarely asleep before 4am anyway and I can sleep through anything so it didn't bother me in the slightest, but if you are a light sleeper and a morning person it could be an issue.
krazykanuck and kevinjm like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more strange thing....

My charges on my WoH credit card posted as generic travel (not Hyatt spend). My friend, who was occupying a different room, and checked in at the same time I did and checked out a few hr earlier than I (they charge for the room rate for the whole stay at checkin and for incidentals at checkout) had his charges post as Hyatt spend.

I've opened a case with both Hyatt and Chase. The leading theory is that one of their PoS systems is misconfigured (I believe they have 2 at the front desk). If that's the case it would be the one used by the agent on the right (your right, while facing the agents) that's misconfigured.

If you have stayed here recently and have the WoH CC, check your statements / charges. More data points could be useful here.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Note that you are right in the middle of a touristy nightlife area, which is extremely loud. The are several nightclubs all blaring music. If you are annoyed by noise, do not expect to sleep before 4am. Personally I am rarely asleep before 4am anyway and I can sleep through anything so it didn't bother me in the slightest, but if you are a light sleeper and a morning person it could be an issue.
Cool - thank you both! After three days at the Conrad I think I'll be fine not having a beach view. Eh sleeping through loud music is something enough tequila can easily remedy I'll be going right after the 20% rebate period ends.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:06 pm

One big difference that was relevant for me is that the main house is adults only. Children can't even use the pool.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I found the noise at the Main House to be shockingly intrusive. They switched me to a room on the quiet side but at first they were super insistent there was no quiet side. Trust me, there is!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
I found the noise at the Main House to be shockingly intrusive. They switched me to a room on the quiet side but at first they were super insistent there was no quiet side. Trust me, there is!
Thats the side that faces directly onto an apartment building across the alley? It’s certainly quieter but you do lose the view and any chance of an upgraded room. Which may be worth it for a quieter life…
stvr likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:24 pm

So is the $38.50 amenity fee apply to everyone except for Globalist ??
I'm only a Discoverist.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by golfreak12
I'm only a Discoverist.
yes
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfreak12
I'm only a Discoverist.
Yup, it's basically a resort fee.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yup, it's basically a resort fee.
Sorry I meant even if you booked it using points.
If it's considered "resort fee", shouldn't it be waived if using points ?
We just got done staying at Keystone Hyatt and our $40 resort fees were waived using points.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by stvr
Which is the quiet side?
Old May 7, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
The side facing west, the side facing OPPOSITE the sea and the mall. They got into a massive debate about how there's no difference between north and south at two in the morning and then I go: "What about west?" That was the secret key that unlocked the door to a quiet room. Anyway, I'd never stay in this hotel again unless I could be sure of a west-facing room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.