Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
The side facing west, the side facing OPPOSITE the sea and the mall. They got into a massive debate about how there's no difference between north and south at two in the morning and then I go: "What about west?" That was the secret key that unlocked the door to a quiet room. Anyway, I'd never stay in this hotel again unless I could be sure of a west-facing room.
Given the layout of the property there are very few west facing rooms, so if noise is an issue for you then this is definitely a property to avoid.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Travelzoo has a deal going right now for Main House https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deal...etaway/391073/ $469 for 3 nights (and options for 4 and 5 night stays) with included breakfast and waived resort fee. I'm not biting, but pretty decent deal for non-Globalists who would otherwise have to pay for both.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:13 pm

What’s the deal with breakfast here? Based on reading upthread that certain dishes have upcharges… but other don’t. Is it a buffet plus an a la carte dish? Can you have more than one “standard” a la carte dish for globalist breakfast? Has anyone stayed here in a Prive rate that includes breakfast? Does the Prive breakfast include everything on the menu? Lastly, how does breakfast at the beach house work for globalist (or prive)? Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
What’s the deal with breakfast here? Based on reading upthread that certain dishes have upcharges… but other don’t. Is it a buffet plus an a la carte dish? Can you have more than one “standard” a la carte dish for globalist breakfast? Has anyone stayed here in a Prive rate that includes breakfast? Does the Prive breakfast include everything on the menu? Lastly, how does breakfast at the beach house work for globalist (or prive)? Thanks
its a full breakfast from a set menu but if you want anything different it’s a charge.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781
its a full breakfast from a set menu but if you want anything different it’s a charge.
thanks. Actually found the breakfast menu on the property’s restaurant page. Half of the entrees have surcharges for globalist. Wondering if there is that limitation for Prive.

Skink likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by myperks
Has anyone stayed here in a Prive rate that includes breakfast? Does the Prive breakfast include everything on the menu? Lastly, how does breakfast at the beach house work for globalist (or prive)? Thanks
I just had a three night Prive stay here. It's a great deal, especially for Globalists because the resort fee is waived, and you can book the 3rd night free rate via Prive. I even got upgraded to one of the suites with a hot tub. My $100 credit covered my bar tab at the pool.

As for breakfast, I went to both properties and they told me only the Globalist breakfast was free. I never actually got clarification if this was correct or not. I think the restaurants could tell I was a Globalist, but they couldn't tell I was on a Prive rate. I probably should have asked. I HIGHLY recommend booking Prive here. Just ask for clarification on what the breakfast benefit is at check-in.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:06 pm

redraider how was the noise level when you were there?

Or any recent stays to report? Curious if Saturday nights are just off the charts with noise complaints lol
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I'll give a quick update. I just completed a three night stay here during the first week of December '22. I also stayed here in July '22, and Feb '22. I think I know the hotel pretty well.

I loved the property my first two stays. It's a good deal, especially with Prive, and I found they took pretty good care of Globalists. Unfortunately, after my most recent stay, the level of service seems to really have gone downhill. 100% of the staff seems to be new, and I'm curious if ownership may have changed. Everyone is still friendly, but they don't really seem to know how things work. Nobody ever mentioned me being a Globalist at check-in. I never received a Prive welcome amenity. Housekeeping never replaced glasses. It was a battle every time I tried to charge something to the room. They would always say "cash or credit card is better," once I was even outright denied. Frustrating when you're trying to spend the Prive credit. Service requests would often go unfulfilled. There was no TV at all (not even Chromecast) and the internet didn't work during my stay. I suspect that to be a temporary problem, but it was a big problem. Many other things went wrong, but I don't want to sound pedantic.

Prive breakfast has been downgraded to just eggs/pastries. Globalist breakfast is the same, so for Globalists nothing has changed, but for Prive, they've definitely made the breakfast worse.

It's still a good hotel. The property looks great, the pool is fun, and don't worry about the sound, the rooms are well insulated, but the property seems to have stopped caring so much. I feel like this happens quite often in Mexico. I believe I did catch the property in an off week, and I'll probably give it one more chance, but for the time being, temper your expectations. If you get the 3rd night free Prive deal, it's definitely a great value, but certainly not the excellent property that it used to be.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I'll give a quick update. I just completed a three night stay here during the first week of December '22. I also stayed here in July '22, and Feb '22. I think I know the hotel pretty well.

I loved the property my first two stays. It's a good deal, especially with Prive, and I found they took pretty good care of Globalists. Unfortunately, after my most recent stay, the level of service seems to really have gone downhill. 100% of the staff seems to be new, and I'm curious if ownership may have changed. Everyone is still friendly, but they don't really seem to know how things work. Nobody ever mentioned me being a Globalist at check-in. I never received a Prive welcome amenity. Housekeeping never replaced glasses. It was a battle every time I tried to charge something to the room. They would always say "cash or credit card is better," once I was even outright denied. Frustrating when you're trying to spend the Prive credit. Service requests would often go unfulfilled. There was no TV at all (not even Chromecast) and the internet didn't work during my stay. I suspect that to be a temporary problem, but it was a big problem. Many other things went wrong, but I don't want to sound pedantic.

Prive breakfast has been downgraded to just eggs/pastries. Globalist breakfast is the same, so for Globalists nothing has changed, but for Prive, they've definitely made the breakfast worse.

It's still a good hotel. The property looks great, the pool is fun, and don't worry about the sound, the rooms are well insulated, but the property seems to have stopped caring so much. I feel like this happens quite often in Mexico. I believe I did catch the property in an off week, and I'll probably give it one more chance, but for the time being, temper your expectations. If you get the 3rd night free Prive deal, it's definitely a great value, but certainly not the excellent property that it used to be.
I was looking at booking a trip but I've noticed that the description now says that you don't get access to the day club (which is the only pool on the property) as part of your stay.

I don't remember that language being there last year when I went. The main reason I liked it was that for the price, getting to go to the day club every day was a great deal. And it's not like they have a different pool there. I'm not going to stay at a "resort" that doesn't include pool access -- that's ridiculous.

Has anyone stayed there recently? Is this really accurate? I want to like this place but they are making it hard.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Minimum is $50 (so $100 credit). Breakfast is $10-15 for an entree, $3-5 for a coffee. Cocktails are $10-15. If you're going to be having breakfast at the hotel and a few cocktails then it's probably worth doing $50.
Is this 50% off F&B ongoing or was it a limited time promo?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:00 am

Any recent stays here? Now that it's going up in category curious if there's been any improvements to the hotel or what the latest is....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.