Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thompson Playa de Carmen

I could not find a thread about this hotel in a search. Mods, please merge if one exists. If not, I guess this can be it.

I'm wondering if any Globalists have stayed here since Thompson became part of Hyatt? They charge a $38.50 per night "amenity fee" which is identical to a destination fee, but with a different name. Is this waived for Globalists?

Also, any reviews would be appreciated. Many reviews on the Hyatt site complain about the service and the condition of the hotel. I know (from experience) that some Hyatts in Mexico have extremely low standards for this sort of thing (far below what you would find at a Cat 1 in the US) and at others it's truly excellent. So I'm not sure if these complaints are warranted or of they are just people complaining about nothing.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a chance to stay at the Main House this week. Great bones of the hotel, just very noisy at night (I was there on a Tuesday!). Didn't bother me too much as I didn't have much to do the next day, but keep that in mind if you are choosing properties. Loved the tequila tasting (included) at the Beach House, and the fact you could use the beach at the other property. Getting to and leaving property a little difficult due to the 5th Avenue blocking vehicular traffic, so keep that in mind. Made a video of my stay as a Globalist, hope this helps someone plan their next stay!

Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Made a video of my stay as a Globalist,
Was the amenity fee waived for you (as a globalist)?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I could not find a thread about this hotel in a search. Mods, please merge if one exists. If not, I guess this can be it.

I'm wondering if any Globalists have stayed here since Thompson became part of Hyatt? They charge a $38.50 per night "amenity fee" which is identical to a destination fee, but with a different name. Is this waived for Globalists?

Also, any reviews would be appreciated. Many reviews on the Hyatt site complain about the service and the condition of the hotel. I know (from experience) that some Hyatts in Mexico have extremely low standards for this sort of thing (far below what you would find at a Cat 1 in the US) and at others it's truly excellent. So I'm not sure if these complaints are warranted or of they are just people complaining about nothing.
They waived the amenity fee for me in July.

With regards to my experience there, I stayed at the Main House and had no issues. My room was in very good condition and the pool, restaurants, etc. were quite nice. It's a vibrant hotel in a vibrant location, so that's probably worth keeping in mind. However, I did not find it to be too noisy at night nor the crowd too wild. It was definitely a fun place to stay and I plan on returning in the future FWIW.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wb2020
They waived the amenity fee for me in July.

With regards to my experience there, I stayed at the Main House and had no issues. My room was in very good condition and the pool, restaurants, etc. were quite nice. It's a vibrant hotel in a vibrant location, so that's probably worth keeping in mind. However, I did not find it to be too noisy at night nor the crowd too wild. It was definitely a fun place to stay and I plan on returning in the future FWIW.
Awesome, thanks. The noise at night would not bother me because I'm a night owl ... I'll likely be at the bars until they close anyway. I've never understood why people book something a the middle of a party area and then complain that people are partying.

Since you say that everything is in good shape then I'll try this property out. I notice that the main house is significantly cheaper (and 2 categories lower) than the beach house. How far is it to the beach from the main house? Is it within a 10 minute walk? Are you just paying for proximity to the beach at the beach house or is it something more?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Rates have gone up a lot... both Main house and Beach house were going as low as $80-$100/night in 2020.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Rates have gone up a lot... both Main house and Beach house were going as low as $80-$100/night in 2020.
Yeah that's because people are traveling now. Hardly surprising
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Well.. Mexico never closed their borders, had no requirements, and people were still coming in droves to Cancun/PDC in 2020. For a country that remained opened for 2 years, quick glance the the Thompson rates here have gone up about 50% or higher. I doubt that's related to demand. Its correct to expect people to be traveling to destinations that have just reopened... and not destinations that never closed.
Yeah that's because people are traveling now. Hardly surprising
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Awesome, thanks. The noise at night would not bother me because I'm a night owl ... I'll likely be at the bars until they close anyway. I've never understood why people book something a the middle of a party area and then complain that people are partying.

Since you say that everything is in good shape then I'll try this property out. I notice that the main house is significantly cheaper (and 2 categories lower) than the beach house. How far is it to the beach from the main house? Is it within a 10 minute walk? Are you just paying for proximity to the beach at the beach house or is it something more?
Yes, it's less than a 5 minute walk between the two. The Beach House is beach-front property and quieter, so I'd assume you're paying for that. If it's seaweed season, you'll probably want to keep a little distance from the beach because the smell is not pleasant.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Well.. Mexico never closed their borders, had no requirements, and people were still coming in droves to Cancun/PDC in 2020. For a country that remained opened for 2 years, quick glance the the Thompson rates here have gone up about 50% or higher. I doubt that's related to demand. Its correct to expect people to be traveling to destinations that have just reopened... and not destinations that never closed.
The accessibility of Mexico (or any country for that matter) hasn't been the sole factor in determining demand since the outset of the pandemic. Many Americans were less likely to travel due to safety concerns and inconveniences associated with masking, testing, transit inefficiencies, etc. For those who decided to make the trip (like myself), the historically low prices were a huge factor in selecting Playa del Carmen and Tulum over other destinations.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, what's the best way to get to the hotel? I assume fly into CUN. Then it looks like it's a little less than an hour drive. Taxi? Or is there a better way?

I know enough to get Pesos from the ATM and not pay for anything in USD.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ok, what's the best way to get to the hotel? I assume fly into CUN. Then it looks like it's a little less than an hour drive. Taxi? Or is there a better way?

Most direct, taxi. Cheapest, ADO bus to Playa del Carmen and a relatively short walk from the bus station. Somewhere in between those two, shared shuttle.

Personally I would just got with the taxi.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:55 pm

I typically prefer to take private transportation, but the ADO bus to Playa or Tulum is a rare exception for me. ADO's busses are very comfortable and cost $10/person (as of July '21) whereas cabs typically cost at least $100, sometimes $200+ if you are not careful with whom you negotiate.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wb2020
I typically prefer to take private transportation, but the ADO bus to Playa or Tulum is a rare exception for me. ADO's busses are very comfortable and cost $10/person (as of July '21) whereas cabs typically cost at least $100, sometimes $200+ if you are not careful with whom you negotiate.
A “real” cab is about $40. If you’re paying anything close to $100 you’re getting really ripped off. $200 is just extortion.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
A “real” cab is about $40. If you’re paying anything close to $100 you’re getting really ripped off. $200 is just extortion.
So how do I get the $40 cab?

I've only been to that airport once and I was going to the Zilara in Cancun. If I remember correctly I arranged a private car, and then had to visit their desk in the hotel to arrange the return (I paid for a round trip). I don't remember what I paid but I didn't think it was too much. It was a while ago though (2018) so I'm not sure I'm remembering the details correctly.

Also, what is ADO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.