Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SP03
My understanding is that you can basically order anything for breakfast, and they will wipe it all off at checkout.
They don't identify their studio suite as the standard suite.
They tried to charge me for the sides (berries and potatoes) during check-out, I had to explain that I wasn't aware of a limit on what to order so that's when they wiped it off.

And fair enough, I just saw enough reports here of upgrades to it so was hopeful.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
They tried to charge me for the sides (berries and potatoes) during check-out, I had to explain that I wasn't aware of a limit on what to order so that's when they wiped it off.

And fair enough, I just saw enough reports here of upgrades to it so was hopeful.
But they do and should upgrade you to the studio suite if available. They are quite nice and I've always gotten it.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
But they do and should upgrade you to the studio suite if available. They are quite nice and I've always gotten it.
Based on our conversation I reached out to the VIP guest manager (I kept his card that was in the room) and he apologized that it wasn't offered. Asked me to let him know for my next stay and he'll arrange an upgrade ahead of time. Once again, good service recovery but just unfortunate my experience was inconsistent with reports here. Could be it was busy due to mother's day weekend? Regardless, I'd be happy to visit again now (especially during this double EQN promo!)
Old May 26, 2024, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Stayed for a few nights at Thompson NYC. The Andaz is usually my go-to in Midtown, but with the category upgrade Im not sure its worth it anymore.

The app showed me upgraded to a Studio Suite, but when I arrived that evening, I had been placed in a park view deluxe room on a high floor. It was a terrific room! Plenty of space, great lounging area, passable bed, good water pressure in the shower. Much nicer than the tiny shoebox they squeezed me into last time I stayed here.

A few minor nits: Hallway noise was still an issue, but no outdoor noise problems. The LVT in the room seemed poorly laid. It felt like it clicked and moved while I walked around. Definitely made the room feel cheap. Bowmakers amenities were great, but Thompson continues to cheap out on the lotion. Practically scentless. Having stayed at a couple Thompsons lately, this seems to be the new standard. Sad.

Fitness center was being renovated, so guests were being sent to the Lifetime Fitness across the street. Pretty nice facility with everything you could ask for, but it was a much busier place than the average hotel fitness center, even at 8pm.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very good, with solid coffee. I ordered a main dish and a granola/yogurt. Everything was wiped from my bill. Service was prompt and courteous.

Deluxe bedroom, high floor, park view

Seating area in deluxe room

Nespresso machine

Small but functional bathroom

Bathroom amenities

Bowmakers full size bottles

Eggwhite feta and spinach omelette. Meh. Delicious granola and Greek yogurt with berries on the side.
iluvdoco and joachimm like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 10:13 am

Here now, upgraded to studio suite near the elevator. No abnormal noise from hallways or other rooms but at 5am, it sounded like they were demolishing a building next door. If that was trash pickup, it is the loudest I have ever heard.

Breakfast was awful. Long story short, arrived just after 10, and I left and went back to the room at 1050 having only gotten a warm cup of coffee. Wife stayed for some reason and eventually came to the room with our bagel and yogurt order packed to go. They didn't charge her for breakfast, but would have been free anyway. Will order room service tomorrow so at least I can wait in my jammies. Mm

For future, I would actually opt for The Dream if I had to be this far uptown for better price/performance ratio. The Andaz would be my preference compared to the Thompson.
Old May 27, 2024, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xooz
For future, I would actually opt for The Dream if I had to be this far uptown for better price/performance ratio. The Andaz would be my preference compared to the Thompson.
This place is great until it isn't. For me, it only took two stays.
xooz likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Stayed here again last week for a few nights for Fleet Week NYC. Award stay 29k/night, a week prior exchanged emails with VIP Manager (who coordinated return of my lost key fobs last year) who indicated hotel was heavily booked and he was uncertain of as available at check-in suite upgrade (as I received last year), few days prior called next available MHC to apply a SUA. Sent emails to VIP Manager and my MHC requesting Upper Stories Lounge access (with or without Upper Stories room or suite) perhaps as a courtesy to a repeat Globalist guest Navy retired veteran during Fleet Week, maybe as an additional Customer Service Recovery after last years unfortunate experience (discussed in posts 344, 347 Maybe next time theyll give me lounge access ?, 349).

Confirmed reservation by phone 2 and 3 days prior, each time was told 1 bedroom suite lounge access or 1 bedroom suite Upper Stories. Welcome email a few days prior included the quote below.

Upper Stories check-in on 3rd floor, nearest to back/higher floors elevators, just outside Upper Stories lounge, single agent sitting at table/desk who also checks (tell agent room # and name) guests into the lounge. I was told I could have breakfast in the lounge OR the restaurant, I did the lounge 3 of 3 days mainly for expediency, last year breakfast in the restaurant was more time consuming.

Upper Stories 1 bedroom suite is similar to website photos, with some relatively insignificant differences (hairdryer, ??). 2 closets each with safe, minifridge, plenty of dresser drawer space (large dresser in bedroom, each closet with 2 drawers), walk-in shower with fixed half-length glass wall which is effective only for flooding the bathroom floor during a shower, (suggest a rolled up towel along the low step at the edge of the shower floor). Connecting door near entrance door to adjoining room (at my back in first picture below). Bathroom identical to that pictured a few posts up except for larger towel rack and wire shelf in shower for gel and shampoo.

Upper Stories lounge to which I never saw the door closed (near higher floors elevators) and meeting rooms/restrooms (near main lobby elevators) are both on the 3rd floor, with an atrium from the lobby/restaurant to the 4th floor and non-intuitive walking access between lounge and meeting rooms/restrooms. Lounge was never crowded, usually 6-8 people in 3-4 groups, during 2-3 daily visits, usually breakfast, mid-afternoon and evening canaps time. Espresso/latte machine, sodas all the time. (No alcohol for me this stay.) Breakfast mostly continental with scrambled eggs and 1 other hot dish, plenty of cut melons and breads/pastries, yogurt. Light snacks are whole apples, oranges, bananas, peanuts, trail mix, choco covered pretzels, small bite sized cakes pieces. Evening canaps mostly cut veggies and 2 hot dishes (fried mozzarella, pigs/blanket/meatballs) enough for my typical small dinner, doubtful enough for dinner for most people. I didnt visit the lounge during evening desserts hours.

2 bottles of water, which I do not drink, were in the room at check-in and delivered to the room each day, usually by housekeeping during daily service, one time hung in plastic bag on outside door handle. At checkout, there were 8 unopened bottles of water on the table and counter above the fridge.

Parking garage did not lose my key fob this year, I still traveled with 2 of them. Front desk ALWAYS took forever to reach by phone, including several calls prior to my stay and several calls during the stay. Prior to check-out I asked several people how long ahead to call for car (from valet), front desk agent in-person day prior said 20 minutes, front desk agent by phone morning of 3pm check-out said 10 minutes, operator when I couldnt get through to front desk an hour or 2 prior to check-out said 30 minutes.

I called 5 minutes prior to going down to checkout in person to get hard copy (zero balance) folio. Took 2 minutes to check-out, walked to parking garage, sat for 5-10 minutes in the wrong (adjacent) parking garage waiting room, upon walking 5-8 yards to correct parking garage entrance my car was there, had to walk down the ramp to get the key fob.

Valet parking is available 24/7. Parking is $65 per day for a sedan, and $75 per day for a SUV. Please note that parking does not include in and out privileges.

To expedite your arrival process, please proceed to the 3rd floor of the hotel using the Upper Stories elevator bank, where our colleagues will greet you for your private check-in experience at our beautiful Upper Stories Residence Lounge. If you are unsure where to go, our front desk in the main lobby will be happy to assist.

The Upper Stories Residence Lounge is open from 6:30AM to 9:00PM daily, offering a relaxing respite from the busy streets of NYC. Our complimentary food and beverage offerings are as follows:

Breakfast served from 6:30am 11:00am
Light snacks served from 11:00am 5:00pm
Canaps served from 5:00pm 7:00pm
Honor Bar available from 12:00pm 9:00pm
Evening desserts served from 7:00pm-9:00pm

At Thompson Central Park you can experience world class culinary the moment you step through our doors. Our lobby bar and restaurant, Parkers, features live music Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings. Reservations, music lineup and more can be found here.

Immerse yourself in the Upper Stories Experience before you arrive. Using this link, you can pre-reserve amenities and experiences to further enhance your stay.
(Sorry, among my pet peeves is GIGANTIC photos posted on these forums.)
Old May 28, 2024, 2:05 pm

Any tips for avoiding the noise issues at the Thompson Central Park that others have mentioned - both the construction and / or the low pitch beeping tone others have indicated may or may not be related to proximity to the elevators?
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old May 30, 2024, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mster
Any tips for avoiding the noise issues at the Thompson Central Park that others have mentioned - both the construction and / or the low pitch beeping tone others have indicated may or may not be related to proximity to the elevators?
If they comment at checkin that there is noise for the room, ask to see room first. They are more than happy to give you a key and let you go up and hear for yourself. They are very proactive about the noise issue and want you to be happy/clear about what youre getting. Take advantage of that.
Old May 31, 2024, 3:50 am

In my recent stay, we had a south-facing room. The cacophony at 5am and 1150 pm seemed to come from the area just east of the hotel. Maybe a North facing room would be better, assuming there are some.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 4, 2024, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
In my recent stay, we had a south-facing room. The cacophony at 5am and 1150 pm seemed to come from the area just east of the hotel. Maybe a North facing room would be better, assuming there are some.​​​​​​
Stayed in a south facing room this past weekend. Was upgraded to a higher floor (not upper story so still <23). As a globalist I was upgraded to a studio suite (as expected) and took breakfast via room service every morning with no service issues or errant charges. No noise issues to speak of. Excellent hotel overall - would definitely stay here again if I was looking to stay in Central Park South.

That they effectively block the use of tier suite upgrades by not actually selling the 1 bedroom suite they tell Hyatt corporate is their "standard suite" on the non "upper stories" floors that are upgrade eligible still leaves a bit of a bad taste though. If I understand it correctly it's both impossible to be upgraded to anything larger than the studio suite and impossible to confirm an upgrade using a TSU to said studio suite ahead of time. This definitely does undermine the value proposition quite a bit if other Hyatt properties nearby have standard suites available.

Last edited by mster; Jun 4, 2024 at 5:37 pm
Old Jun 4, 2024, 6:04 pm

Stayed in a south facing room this past weekend. Was upgraded to a higher floor (not upper story so still <23). As a globalist I was upgraded to a studio suite (as expected) and took breakfast via room service every morning with no service issues or errant charges. No noise issues to speak of. Excellent hotel overall - would definitely stay here again if I was looking to stay in Central Park South.

That they effectively block the use of tier suite upgrades by not actually selling the 1 bedroom suite they tell Hyatt corporate is their "standard suite" on the non "upper stories" floors that are upgrade eligible still leaves a bit of a bad taste though. If I understand it correctly it's both impossible to be upgraded to anything larger than the studio suite and impossible to confirm an upgrade using a TSU to said studio suite ahead of time. This definitely does undermine the value proposition quite a bit if other Hyatt properties nearby have standard suites available.
The good news is that the one bedroom suite isnt that nice. Based on the photos, I would very much prefer the studio suite.
mster likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 6:13 pm

The good news is that the one bedroom suite isnt that nice. Based on the photos, I would very much prefer the studio suite.
The studio suite was impressively sized, especially for NYC. Lots of daylight with two massive windows but still pitch black with well fitted blackout blinds. The TV / room divider provides a reasonable bit of separation between the bed and the "suite". On the suite side the sofa chaise was great and there were lots of conveniently placed outlets. Then there were two smaller room lights with dimmer switches. Also, there are two separate closets too which was a bit of a welcome surprise.

Not necessarily limited to the studio suite as I haven't looked at the other room types, but the mini-fridge in our room was a great size and not stocked with useless mini-bar items or pressure triggers.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 6:20 pm

The studio suite was impressively sized, especially for NYC. Lots of daylight with two massive windows but still pitch black with well fitted blackout blinds. The TV / room divider provides a reasonable bit of separation between the bed and the "suite". On the suite side the sofa chaise was great and there were lots of conveniently placed outlets. Then there were two smaller room lights with dimmer switches. Also, there are two separate closets too which was a bit of a welcome surprise.

Not necessarily limited to the studio suite as I haven't looked at the other room types, but the mini-fridge in our room was a great size and not stocked with useless mini-bar items or pressure triggers.
I think they only have one suite eligible for upgrade. I suspect they designated it to prevent people from using SUA to the studio suites, as opposed to hoping people would pay for a proper suite like the other hotels.
mster likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.