Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Upper Stories has its own lounge.
You get lounge access if you are staying in the Upper Stories
Dr Jabadski and WasKnown like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
(5/17/23) Ill be staying at this hotel for the first time next week, Havent read a reference to a lounge elsewhere, including this thread. Please advise. Thank you.
I should offer some follow-up. Morning of check-in looked on website and saw that suites were still available, called, spoke with FD manager on duty, asked about possible Glob as available upgrade, he said weve already upgraded you to a suite. I asked when the room would be ready, he said its ready now (10:30am).

Arrived at ~3:20pm, parking valet not wearing a uniform, it was difficult to determine and be confident that he was the parking valet.

Quick check-in. They asked/offered (Glob) 4pm checkout. Suite on 25th floor. No keycard needed for elevators, atypical elevator arrangement with 3 elevators for floors up to 22 across from the front desk and 3 more elevators for floors 23-?42 immediately behind but accessible only by walking around ~40-50 feet.

Studio Suite almost exactly as pictured on the website. The pictured shelves and drawers in the narrow space to the right of the bathroom door were not present, that space was incorporated into a closet with doors next to the foot of the bed. The pictured closet(s) to the left of the entry door were half as wide with the other half of that width containing 2 drawers next to a minifridge with the coffee maker, ice bucket and tea selection box on the counter above.

I was told that all suites have city view (south) which is more accurately a view of the tall buildings across the street. Park view (north) more accurately small bit of the park visible between 2 very tall buildings is easy to see, theres a large window facing north in the elevator vestibule. The views might be different from higher floors (Upper Stories starting on 26) and/or rooms at the end of the hallway.

Staff universally gracious. I broke a corkscrew with the screw part lodged in the cork, bartender quickly uncorked the bottle. Due to construction, the fitness center was accessible only by walking outside for 20-30 feet. Asked about Lounge access (played the Fleet Week/Navy retired card again ), was told its only for Upper Stories guests. Had breakfast 1 day, at 6:31am, quick attentive service, generous tip. At checkout the balance was zero.

BUT then the big hick-up for this stay. The contracted parking garage next to the hotel LOST my car key fob. (Obviously reinforced my (somewhat compulsive) always bringing 2 key fobs if I know Ill be valet parking.) Took them 20 minutes to tell me and then the attendant simply asked me (as if nothing unusual had happened) if I had another key. I suspect that had I given him the second key he would have brought the car and done nothing more.

I went back to the FD, asked for a manager, he had me sit in the lobby while he investigated, 10-15 minutes later he returned, said they left the key in another car (undoubtedly parking garage nonsense) but fortunately it was a monthly parker who would be back the next morning, he would track it and overnight the key to me. It was terrific that he took ownership of the problem when it could easily have been passed off to the parking garage.

Next morning (2 days ago) he sent me an email, key still lost, he would continue to follow, should they be unable to locate the key we will file a claim for reimbursement of the cost of purchasing a replacement and given the inconvenience and in appreciation of your loyalty I will load 10k points into your account. Im still awaiting further information, I suspect that being a weekend might slow the search and that ultimately Ill have to obtain a replacement.

Maybe next time theyll give me lounge access ?

Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
The upper stories concept is exactly why I will never stay at the Thompson, I don't want to encourage this behavior. Vote with your feet and dollars.
AFAICT the upper stories experience (per website) is mostly almost identical rooms and suites, with some larger suites available, and lounge access and an additional small room in the fitness center. Unless those floors are high enough to see over the neighboring buildings and the lounge offerings are stupendous, hardly seems worth the additional $100 - $200 they charge.

They will comp upgrade Globalists to the Studio Suite. I won't stay here again after my last experience. It's a poorly managed property and between hallway noise and ongoing construction, the rooms can be very loud.
Based on my N=1, agree regarding upgrade, disagree regarding management, agree regarding noise although there are relatively few rooms on each floor thus hallway traffic and noise are not excessive. On the 25th floor I could hear the usual big city street noises (and clearly see into the buildings across the street).
madmanshoney likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on my N=1, agree regarding upgrade, disagree regarding management, agree regarding noise although there are relatively few rooms on each floor thus hallway traffic and noise are not excessive. On the 25th floor I could hear the usual big city street noises (and clearly see into the buildings across the street).
Agree, street noise is not an issue. You may have noticed though there is no separation between the entry door and the living/sleeping space, and that the doors are not effectively dampered and self-slam. So you can get lots of hallway noise, including door slams, in the room. Sounds like it was relatively low occupancy on your floor. My first stay, with low occupancy on my floor, I didn't have a problem, but the noise was definitely an issue the second stay.

I hope the points they promised you post quickly and without the need for repeated follow-up (it took me over a week and numerous emails).
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
(May 28, Thursday prior to Memorial Day weekend) …BUT … then the big hick-up for this stay. The contracted parking garage next to the hotel LOST my car key fob. (Obviously reinforced my (somewhat compulsive) always bringing 2 key fobs if I know I’ll be valet parking.) Took them 20 minutes to tell me and then the attendant simply asked me (as if nothing unusual had happened) if I had another key. I suspect that had I given him the second key he would have brought the car and done nothing more.

I went back to the FD, asked for a manager, … he took ownership of the problem when it could easily have been passed off to the parking garage.

Next morning (2 days ago) he sent me an email, key still lost, he would continue to follow, … will load 10k points into your account.” ...
…I hope the points they promised you post quickly ...
Thank you, your good wishes translated to my (relative) good luck.

Excerpts of further email exchanges (always ask, worst they can do is say no):

“Re: “load 10k points”, thank you, you read my mind, I intended to ask you if this sort of thing was in the domain of World of Hyatt Customer Service Adjustment. As I’m sure you know, a 40 minute delay in receiving one’s car near the hotel at 4-5pm results in driving out of the city in the middle of rush hour instead of the start of rush hour and added significantly to the duration of my drive home. Thus, based on the relative value of a WOH point, previous Customer Service Adjustments, the extent of my inconvenience and my abundant loyalty to Hyatt for many years, 10K points is inadequate. Please consider a more appropriate Customer Service Adjustment particularly as it now seems that this key has been lost instead of simply delayed in its return to me.”

“Thank you also for the added detail regarding you experience as I was not aware of the significant added time on your journey home. Would 25,000 points be a number you are more comfortable with given the added time spent on your journey home?”

“Presuming by 25K you’re referring to 25K on top of the 10K you originally mentioned and that my key fob is located and returned to me within a reasonable timeframe, 25K + 10K would be appropriate. Should it be necessary for me to purchase a replacement I think it might again be inadequate.”

“I know this is frustrating and should never have happened. I have instructed the garage to reach out to you directly tomorrow to begin the claim process . Should be easy from your perspective as they just need a quote for the cost. I will honor your request of 35k total points and have those deposited into your account be the end of this week.” (FWIW, I had no clue, a replacement OEM Lexus electronic key is ~$300, knowing Lexus that would NOT include the battery .)

Fortunately, from my obsessing about it perspective, I did minimal driving over the holiday weekend and I departed for a 3 night quasi “Delta SkyClub shower amenity kit” (mileage) run 5 days (Tuesday after holiday weekend) after misplacement. 35K points posted within 2-3 days of the email. I received a call from the garage 6 days after misplacement of key, it was returned to the garage. I asked them to give it to the hotel, hotel FedExed to me, it was delivered to my building several hours prior to my arrival home. I'm pleased the garage's explanation was not "parking garage nonsense" . Thank you email sent.

Thompson did excellent customer service in this situation, the manager who initially took ownership was away for 2-3 days, I received emails (almost every day over the holiday weekend) from a different manager. He sent me an email with a photo of my key (with my identifying string still attached) and FedEx tracking info as soon as he personally left it with FedEx.
murphy and madmanshoney like this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jun 3, 2023 at 7:00 am Reason: usual verbosity
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
It's nice but feel it's a little overhyped so I am slightly underwhelmed. I guess this is considered good for NYC standards.

Wifi isn't particularly fast - only 15 mbps compared to 5 mbps at the Dream Midtown. Bed is definitely on the firm standard. Service is efficient but, with a cool vibe instead of a warmer vibe.

Breakfast for Globalists is a good value if one is into these things. Breakfast for two comes out close to hundred bucks (includes 20% service) which is wiped off after check out.

Was upgraded to the Junior Suite but this room in particular doesn't have a bar or an office type chair so there iss nowhere to do work other than the end table (where other rooms have a bar).
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:49 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by triplefives
Wifi isn't particularly fast - only 15 mbps compared to 5 mbps at the Dream Midtown.
Did you select the premium internet option? I did and am getting 25-30 mbps.

As far as a chair, I'm in a studio suite and there's a chair in the work area by the swivel TV.

madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As far as a chair, I'm in a studio suite and there's a chair in the work area by the swivel TV.
Some of the Studio Suites also have a counter with low-back bar stools. Great for use as a workdesk. It's odd these aren't in all of them.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
Service is efficient but, with a cool vibe instead of a warmer vibe.
Which is par for the course in NYC where time is money!
Old Jun 24, 2023, 4:52 am

Post-stay thoughts based on lots of reading this/Hyatt NYC thread prior to trip: Hard product isfine. The lobby is better w/ curtains gone and nice on arrival, but overall common spaces have same awkward feel they did at Le Meridian. Burger Joint is the classic case of a special hole in the wall losing lots of charm growing larger. (Also, found their cheeseburger overrated, underseasoned, and especially given NYC pricing of two burgers, fries, and beers for $80, mediocre). I generally like Thompsons approach to decor, but with a beautiful Memorial Day weekend in NYC, obstructed views, and misses described below, overall the property felt too dark.

With better soft skills, NYC pricing and some rough Midtown edges might be OK. Unfortunately, I can echo other reports of frequent dropping the ball. Door/bell staff didnt offer to help with doors/bags, including guy who asked if I needed a cab (I did), didnt make any attempt to hail one, and then went back inside to chat with colleagues. Similarly doing nothing useful were the lounge attendant at breakfast who stood blocking the hot items and his evening colleague staring guests down if they dare use the honor bar. To the latter, the instructions call for total consumption upon departing the lounge, yet I was offensively asked <5 min into my first drink why I hadnt turned in the form yet or if a pen was needed (plenty were provided).

As a frequent FTer, Im used to Globalists getting all the love, but on-site failure to recognize or at least be honest about what theyll do for Explorists was unacceptable given what were paying, While I was prepared to even pay a bit more for an upgrade, the hotel needed to be much more transparent. Initial supposed nice room change was no different than original assignment (no new key issued, app didnt change), with WOH desk rep claiming she was new.

Finally, another front desk host trying to address my concerns (get rid of me?) was able to discount an Upper Stories upgrade after checking with his manager. This was againfine, but after reading here on FT about staff gaslighting guests on construction noise and upgrades, hard to trust Im new or pantomimed confusion about what I was asking.

As for Upper Stories, was willing to give it a shot, but agree with others its consumer AND elite unfriendly at the current price point. Amenities such as supposed premium treatment at Nordstrom (most of which theyll do for anyone) and an unexplained record player in the lounge you might buy at Target make clear the concept is a joke. Itd be much clearer to split up lounge access, upper floor, and city/park view, but then how would they bilk guests?

Overall, least favorite Thompson Ive been to of 4 so far.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Lasvegasgamer
As for Upper Stories, was willing to give it a shot, but agree with others its consumer AND elite unfriendly at the current price point. Amenities such as supposed premium treatment at Nordstrom (most of which theyll do for anyone) and an unexplained record player in the lounge you might buy at Target make clear the concept is a joke. Itd be much clearer to split up lounge access, upper floor, and city/park view, but then how would they bilk guests?
How was the lounge? My sense is the Upper Stories concept isn't really working as they'd hoped - would love to see them admit failure and just add those rooms to the pool.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:25 am

How was the lounge? My sense is the Upper Stories concept isn't really working as they'd hoped - would love to see them admit failure and just add those rooms to the pool.
Do we know its a failure? Are people not booking those rooms and they sit empty?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SP03
Do we know its a failure? Are people not booking those rooms and they sit empty?
I didn't say I "knew" anything.

There are various indications, including OP's report of a discounted upgrade, plus soft rates at this property plus personal observations my last stay here.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:21 am

I didn't say I "knew" anything.

There are various indications, including OP's report of a discounted upgrade, plus soft rates at this property plus personal observations my last stay here.
Well, you asked when will they will admit its a failure as if its a fact. The hotel may perceive any incremental upgrade fee as a positive.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Tried to book a Cat 1-7 award with the Thompson Central Park, but got word the afternoon of arrival that my flight to LGA was cancelled (weather) and my next available flight would not leave until the next day. I understand the hotel has a 1 night cancellation policy; I requested a refund based on the fact that I couldn't make the flight, but I was still charged the one night equivalent (not the award) of $829 (tried to work through MHC but the hotel would not provide a variance from their stated policy).

I've reached out to both the airline and the credit card company (travel insurance) to request a reimbursement of the cancellation fees, but I wanted to make sure others are aware of the potential risks when booking this hotel.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gmax58
Tried to book a Cat 1-7 award with the Thompson Central Park, but got word the afternoon of arrival that my flight to LGA was cancelled (weather) and my next available flight would not leave until the next day. I understand the hotel has a 1 night cancellation policy; I requested a refund based on the fact that I couldn't make the flight, but I was still charged the one night equivalent (not the award) of $829 (tried to work through MHC but the hotel would not provide a variance from their stated policy).

I've reached out to both the airline and the credit card company (travel insurance) to request a reimbursement of the cancellation fees, but I wanted to make sure others are aware of the potential risks when booking this hotel.
This is the case for most hotels. Next time, instead of cancelling, ask if they'll be willing to reschedule to a date further out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.