Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:37 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sorry to hear of your experience gmax58.
In the rare case of a flight irregularity or weather something out of my control I've never had a
hotel ever do this to me as an elite member of any program.
The fact that this is a Hyatt tells me of a changing business culture.Or perhaps who Thompson is as a brand.
Sadly I am unlikely to ever try the Thompson brand as much as I have been curious since it came into the Hyatt portfolio.
But the word from many they are Hyatt without being the Hyatt that made us loyal all these years to some degree

When I was on my way to see my Aunt who was close to passing away a few Easters ago the day before
my arrival she passed and to the credit of the incredible folks @ the Hyatt Centric Philadelphia
let me out of a 1 night nonrefundable stay and credited me back my CC.
I will be spending 3 nights there on my next stay for their kindness and understanding.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
This is the case for most hotels. Next time, instead of cancelling, ask if they'll be willing to reschedule to a date further out.
Agreed. The other recommendation is to contact Hyatt and ask them to contact the hotel. I've had success getting cancel fee waived that way as a Globalist.

$829 no show fee is a big ouch, particularly when caused by IRROPS.
Originally Posted by SP03
Well, you asked when will they will admit its a failure as if its a fact.
That's totally inaccurate. Please reread my post.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee

That's totally inaccurate. Please reread my post.
This is what I read:

My sense is the Upper Stories concept isn't really working as they'd hoped - would love to see them admit failure and just add those rooms to the pool.
​​​​​​​
Old Jun 26, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the warning - I'm surprised they didn't let you push the date back to another time, esp as a Globalist. And charging cash rate. Those are the terms but I don't like them.

I've had properties cancel day of, night before because of reasons beyond my control. Made me loyal to Hyatt overall and I'll go to those properties when I can.
​​​​​​
Hyatt is Ethiopia cancelled for me when the coup happened and HK centric did same when the rioting hit there
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
To clarify - while I worked with My Hyatt Concierge (who I assumed tried to be my advocate on this cancellation - I wasn't privy to her discussion with the Thompson), the hotel did not offer to waive the cancellation fee. My certificate is scheduled to expire this week anyway so I wasn't offered (and I didn't request) a chance to stay there in the future. [Also, I don't usually have a reason to go to NYC.]
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gmax58
To clarify - while I worked with My Hyatt Concierge (who I assumed tried to be my advocate on this cancellation - I wasn't privy to her discussion with the Thompson), the hotel did not offer to waive the cancellation fee. My certificate is scheduled to expire this week anyway so I wasn't offered (and I didn't request) a chance to stay there in the future. [Also, I don't usually have a reason to go to NYC.]
Thats extra galling. Instead of getting the customary 20k points for an expiring Cat1-7 youre being left with a hefty bill to settle.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That’s extra galling.
Yes, it sure is. The lack of flexibility is something for others to keep in mind when considering this property. Not a very good showing by MHC either. Last time this happened to me, a Hyatt phone agent contacted HR LAX and got them to waive no-show charge.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SP03
This is what I read:
​​​​​​​
Just stop, seriously...

Regards
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, it sure is. The lack of flexibility is something for others to keep in mind when considering this property. Not a very good showing by MHC either. Last time this happened to me, a Hyatt phone agent contacted HR LAX and got them to waive no-show charge.
Slightly off topic, but I have had some shockingly bad service from MHC recently. Not to the extent of having a significant monetary impact like OP here, but I do think the service level has really gone downhill.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Tried to book a Cat 1-7 award with the Thompson Central Park, but got word the afternoon of arrival that my flight to LGA was cancelled (weather) and my next available flight would not leave until the next day. I understand the hotel has a 1 night cancellation policy; I requested a refund based on the fact that I couldn't make the flight, but I was still charged the one night equivalent (not the award) of $829 (tried to work through MHC but the hotel would not provide a variance from their stated policy).

I've reached out to both the airline and the credit card company (travel insurance) to request a reimbursement of the cancellation fees, but I wanted to make sure others are aware of the potential risks when booking this hotel.
…$829 no show fee is a big ouch, particularly when caused by IRROPS....
That’s extra galling. Instead of getting the customary 20k points for an expiring Cat1-7 you’re being left with a hefty bill to settle.
…The lack of flexibility is something for others to keep in mind when considering this property. Not a very good showing by MHC either. ...
Concur. Outrageous and highly infuriating at multiple levels; double penalization (loss of FNA, payment of 1 night rate) and (apparent) full rack rate charged and that (perhaps) the hotel was notified ahead of time with enough time to rebook the room. I would fight it tooth and nail*, likely including disputing the charge with the credit card company, multiple calls to MHC and a certified letter to the CEO.

… instead of cancelling, ask if they'll be willing to reschedule to a date further out.
Excellent suggestion.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
… the incredible folks @ the Hyatt Centric Philadelphia let me out of a 1 night nonrefundable stay and credited me back my CC. I will be spending 3 nights there on my next stay for their kindness and understanding.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
… I've had properties cancel day of, night before because of reasons beyond my control. Made me loyal to Hyatt overall and I'll go to those properties when I can. Hyatt is Ethiopia cancelled for me when the coup happened and HK centric did same when the rioting hit there
Exactly. That’s how well-run forward-thinking companies generate passionate customer loyalty, might lose a few $ today but gain many more $$$$ in the future. Like Bose at no cost sending me replacement ear cushions for an expensive pair of noise cancelling headphones and Victorinox at no cost removing the blade and replacing with a small ruler or second nail file from a (keychain size Swiss Army) pocket knife so it’s TSA compatible. (Can do many things with the scissors, the blades of which are clearly less than TSA limit of 4 inches from the pivot point, including the all-important broken nail or hangnail repair !).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire
Do not concur. While the underlying intent of this quote is admirable, some things (said or written) are indefensible, such as screaming “fire” in a crowded theater.

(* “Origin of Fight Tooth and Nail: To fight “tooth and nail” is to fight with the intensity and ferocity of a wild animal. This idiom dates back to the 1500s and comes from the idea of fighting like a wild beast; animals don’t have weapons, so they fight with everything that they’ve got: their teeth and nails.” I never understood it was fingernails and toenails, I always thought of it as nails as in nails to be hammered.)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jun 27, 2023 at 10:14 am Reason: formatting
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:04 pm

Pre-upgraded to a studio suite for a stay this week. Hopefully it's nice and I hope the breakfast is good. Still deciding between this and the Dream for a July trip. 210 vs 290 a night.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 8:02 pm

Here now. Renovation is nice but not particularly impressed. The elevators are a nightmare. You have to swipe an iPad like thing to find your floor (it has taken me at least 3 tries every time to swipe to get to right floor) and then it tells you which elevator to go into.

First time everyone got into the elevator and then the system reset so we all had to get out and restart the system. Everyone was complaining how bad the elevators have been so this was not an isolated instance. That alone puts me off the place.

I was pre-upgraded to a studio suite which is nice but it's more like a junior suite. Be a waste of a TSU. I'm leaning towards using a TSU to get a full suite at the Dream.

The main deciding factor will probably be breakfast... But at Thompson it is one main and a drink while dream is all you can Eat.

I got a great deal here for around 290 a nijt in July (now it's selling for ~500 a night. Even with such a relatively low rate, I'm leaning towards 210 at dream with everything breakfast.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:02 am

BreakfaSt was good. They were flexible and have me a side order of blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries which was great - I usually eat a mix of them daily at home. Blackberries are hard to find in hotels so thunbs up

Overall this is a solid hotel, much better than when it was Le Meridien Parker. Rooms are nicely appointed but the studio suite is not a real suite.

I'm also very picky at breakfast. While this one is good, the order whatever you want at Centric and Dream make those breakfasts superior.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SHLTP
BreakfaSt was good. They were flexible and have me a side order of blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries which was great - I usually eat a mix of them daily at home. Blackberries are hard to find in hotels so thunbs up

Overall this is a solid hotel, much better than when it was Le Meridien Parker. Rooms are nicely appointed but the studio suite is not a real suite.

I'm also very picky at breakfast. While this one is good, the order whatever you want at Centric and Dream make those breakfasts superior.
News I can use, thanks for the post. Looks like this will be brand #9 for my next outing.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:33 am

Does the Thompson have free parking for Globalists on award stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.