FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   70 - 80 - 90 - 100 Nights: Suite Upgrade or Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1864073-70-80-90-100-nights-suite-upgrade-points.html)

59Impala Nov 16, 2019 3:14 pm

does anyone have experience with receiving additional awards when passing base point thresholds but not nights? i wil not reach 55 nights this year, but am passed 100k points. i will likely hit 110k points

any experience?

josephstern Nov 16, 2019 6:07 pm

OK - I got it. Here's an idea for what Hyatt could give us for these tiers above Globalist:

Half credit for rollover nights.

So when you hit 70, you could choose a TSU, 10K points, or 5 nights credit for the next year.

I, for one, am always nervous towards the end of the year about how I'll requalify the next year. So that's the enticement for me. Anyone who expects to travel less in the next year, or to fewer Hyatt locations anyway, might be interested.

I always over qualify. So that's the breakage that Hyatt gets as a bonus.

They wouldn't have to fork over as many points or TSUs, but they'd run the risk of having to give out more status in the next year. I'm pretty sure that they'd win on this one, and that I'd take it and lose. But it would ease my status anxiety a bit, and can you put a price on that?

As most of you know, Delta allows straight rollover at 100% credit, and I've accumulated enough of those for years unnecessarily, but at Delta's gain. Hyatt could similarly profit.

MSPeconomist Nov 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 31744722)
OK - I got it. Here's an idea for what Hyatt could give us for these tiers above Globalist:

Half credit for rollover nights.

So when you hit 70, you could choose a TSU, 10K points, or 5 nights credit for the next year.

I, for one, am always nervous towards the end of the year about how I'll requalify the next year. So that's the enticement for me. Anyone who expects to travel less in the next year, or to fewer Hyatt locations anyway, might be interested.

I always over qualify. So that's the breakage that Hyatt gets as a bonus.

They wouldn't have to fork over as many points or TSUs, but they'd run the risk of having to give out more status in the next year. I'm pretty sure that they'd win on this one, and that I'd take it and lose. But it would ease my status anxiety a bit, and can you put a price on that?

As most of you know, Delta allows straight rollover at 100% credit, and I've accumulated enough of those for years unnecessarily, but at Delta's gain. Hyatt could similarly profit.

Marriott (preBonvoy) used to give rollover nights. The rules were complicated and nights could only rollover once, not multiple times.

DL has no such rule but their newer MQD (spend) requirements limit the value of rollover status miles (MQMs).

Visconti Nov 16, 2019 9:23 pm

If they can workout rollover nights, that'd be great. As to 10K points or TSU, I'm indifferent, and find 4 usually enough, since most properties give you that junior suite thing.

gengar Nov 17, 2019 1:27 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 31744318)
does anyone have experience with receiving additional awards when passing base point thresholds but not nights? i wil not reach 55 nights this year, but am passed 100k points. i will likely hit 110k points

any experience?

No, you have to hit the night thresholds for the TSU/10k points bonuses. I've never gotten anything extra for base points above 100k (excepting perhaps what may have qualified me for random opaque promotions like https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...y-loyalty.html ) and in past years I have gone beyond even 200k before hitting 70 nights.

MSPeconomist Nov 17, 2019 9:57 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 31744318)

any experience?

You seem to be saying that you'll probably be over the points requirement by *only* 10%.

However, for someone (re)qualifying on the basis of nights, to get one additional TSU or 10,000 points requires either 15 additional nights over 55 or 10 additional nights over 60, which would mean exceeding the nights requirement for Glob by 27% or 17% respectively.

59Impala Nov 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31746431)
You seem to be saying that you'll probably be over the points requirement by *only* 10%.

However, for someone (re)qualifying on the basis of nights, to get one additional TSU or 10,000 points requires either 15 additional nights over 55 or 10 additional nights over 60, which would mean exceeding the nights requirement for Glob by 27% or 17% respectively.

you are right from a percentage view point - makes sense. Newest calculations show I will cross the 120k points threshold this year. We’ll see :D

ryandc99 Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm

I took the points on 70,80,90 and 100 this year. I find the 4 TSU's more than enough for the stays I have where I really want a suite.

MarkOK Nov 18, 2019 10:00 am

Last year I chose points for my 70, 80, 90, and 100, and I am glad I did. I had a hardtime using my TSUs this year and still have 1 left, which I am not sure if I will use at all before it expires (or at least, I won't use "well").

TSU's can at times be great, but there is definitely a limit to their usefulness. Like what has already been said, many properties upgrade into a JR suite which isn't worth much (and often is priced just above a base room anyways), some properties have very limited numbers of 'standard suites' so finding availability can be tough even when you are several months out, and for most people there are work-trip nights a year in which a suite doesn't matter enough to burn a TSU on (my complementary upgrade rate to suites on work trips this year has been 3 for 3)

The 10 K bonuses are nice though. It really makes a lot of stays cheap when stacked on top of other promos this time of year. And, if I spend 25K on my WOH CC to get 10 more nights during the year, the 10K points is like another 0.4 pts per dollar spent.

As for rollover nights, I don't really have an opinion on it.

CIT85 Nov 18, 2019 12:32 pm

First timer ever over 100 nights (thanks to WoH Visa) and selected 10K points at each milestone. Now I don't have another milestone award to look forward to.

mnredfox Nov 18, 2019 8:51 pm

I also agree the cap at 100 nights is silly. Rollover would be nice, they could say rollover only over 100.

Thus, I’ll end my stays when the 2x promo ends and will go back to 3x Hilton promo. Although I ended last year over 100N I think I’ll be a few shy this year.

beachfan Feb 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Supposedly you have 90 days to make the election. What happens if you forget to do so?

Matt4200 Feb 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32104305)
Supposedly you have 90 days to make the election. What happens if you forget to do so?

You forfeit the bonus.

beachfan Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 32104462)
You forfeit the bonus.

Is this from experience? I thought it defaulted to the 10k points.

ZBigFam Feb 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32104677)
Is this from experience? I thought it defaulted to the 10k points.

Its true, you forfeit if you don't select. I asked my concierge last year and she replied i would forfeit the reward.