FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   70 - 80 - 90 - 100 Nights: Suite Upgrade or Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1864073-70-80-90-100-nights-suite-upgrade-points.html)

Troopers May 5, 2021 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 33228887)
Correct - but you can assign a value to receiving a qualifying night. That value goes to zero after 100 nights for Hyatt. That changes the cost/benefit equation.

True but generally speaking, the loss of globalist benefits on night 101 is greater than the value/benefits of night x at another chain (where night x is chasing towards higher status).

coleslaw May 5, 2021 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 33228922)
True but generally speaking, the loss of globalist benefits on night 101 is greater than the value/benefits of night x at another chain.

If night 101 was a HP, then Globalist benefits don't really mean much, if anything. If there's a comparable Marriott (similar location, same price or cheaper - or maybe even a little higher priced, based on my value of getting an elite night), then I'm going to go with the Marriott and earn towards Platinum/Titanium. Once you're Platinum then the equation changes again - but still doesn't make it any more likely that I would pick a Hyatt (again, for comparable hotels).

I understand the value of being a Globalist. But I don't let it cloud my judgement when I am making decisions on where to spend my money.

Troopers May 5, 2021 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 33228942)
If night 101 was a HP, then Globalist benefits don't really mean much, if anything. If there's a comparable Marriott (similar location, same price or cheaper - or maybe even a little higher priced, based on my value of getting an elite night), then I'm going to go with the Marriott and earn towards Platinum/Titanium. Once you're Platinum then the equation changes again - but still doesn't make it any more likely that I would pick a Hyatt (again, for comparable hotels).

I understand the value of being a Globalist. But I don't let it cloud my judgement when I am making decisions on where to spend my money.

I hear ya, and hope the Courtyard and Marriott Platinum/Titanium works out for you :)

coleslaw May 5, 2021 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 33229018)
I hear ya, and hope the Courtyard and Marriott Platinum/Titanium works out for you :)

Well so far it’s been more like Sheraton/Westin vs Regency, but same idea!

TravelingChef May 5, 2021 2:35 pm

I totally get the point of the folks who are saying if nights 101+ are at limited service properties, Globalist benefits are irrelevant for the most part and it makes sense to stay wherever is most practical on price. The flip side to that is someone like me. 95% of all of my Hyatt stays are at full-service properties. I only stay at non full service on rare occasions when it's literally not an option for whatever reason.

Park Hyatt DC, HR Seattle, Park Hyatt Chicago, Andaz Maui, Andaz/GH Tokyo, Park/HR Paris, Andaz Mayakoba, HR Vancouver, etc. Pre/post-pandemic, those would often be the type of places where my 101+ nights might come about. I totally understand that's probably not representative of most people's stays.

I'd of course love more milestones for 101+, as it's not uncommon for me to hit 150 nights in a normal year. But even without extra milestones, the Globalist benefits at my usual lineup of properties are certainly worth it, particularly at the higher/highest-end places where suite upgrades, club access, breakfasts are actually value adds and meaningful to me. So for anyone in my use case, or something similar, it would be kinda insane to switch to non-Hyatt stays after the 100th night because I'm not getting milestones.

GrayAnderson May 5, 2021 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 33228887)
Correct - but you can assign a value to receiving a qualifying night. That value goes to zero after 100 nights for Hyatt. That changes the cost/benefit equation.

Also, there's a question as to how much of a premium you might get out of someone. I'll definitely pay a bit more for a hotel chain that I think is treating me well, but there is often also a limit. I won't cut across to another chain for $5, but if the price for what I feel is an equivalent product is $50 cheaper? That's a harder sell.

MarkOK May 6, 2021 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw (Post 33228864)
It's more like "Once I make status level I want, why would I to pay a premium to stay there again when I can get as good as or a better product at a cheaper rate?"

I don't think it's a "weird misunderstanding" at all - more like a practical application of cost/benefit analysis. Just because you get top tier with Hyatt (or another chain) doesn't mean you have to always stay there.

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 33228922)
True but generally speaking, the loss of globalist benefits on night 101 is greater than the value/benefits of night x at another chain (where night x is chasing towards higher status).

Yeah, I understand the cost-benefit analysis, but I am with Troopers here, the globalist benefits usually more than make up for any premium in cost. And when there is an oustized cost to choosing a Hyatt hotel, that is where and when the points and certs get used.
And even at HPs and HHs, I am collecting some pretty valuable WOH points and treking towards lifetime globalist -- it's not like being status-less at a Marriot (which would be the case) is going to give me anything that a HP won't.

That all being said, my own travel patterns are very flexible so I hardly ever 'have to be' somewhere where such decisions have to be made. Usually, if it is costs too much to stay at a given spot at given date, I just go somewhere else entirely.

coleslaw May 6, 2021 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 33231433)
Yeah, I understand the cost-benefit analysis, but I am with Troopers here, the globalist benefits usually more than make up for any premium in cost. And when there is an oustized cost to choosing a Hyatt hotel, that is where and when the points and certs get used.
And even at HPs and HHs, I am collecting some pretty valuable WOH points and treking towards lifetime globalist -- it's not like being status-less at a Marriot (which would be the case) is going to give me anything that a HP won't.

That all being said, my own travel patterns are very flexible so I hardly ever 'have to be' somewhere where such decisions have to be made. Usually, if it is costs too much to stay at a given spot at given date, I just go somewhere else entirely.

It's going to vary by individual needs/preferences. Even when using points/certs - you still assign a dollar value on the points/certs and do a pretty similar calculation/comparison. I've still run into plenty of situations where it just doesn't make (financial) sense to stay at a Hyatt vs. a Marriott or Hilton using cash and/or points. Even more so now when Marriott in particular has been running good promos, has a "work from" rate that gives you breakfast and is usually at or below the "best available rate" and makes it pretty easy to get status if you have an AmEx plat.

Gertjaars Jan 8, 2022 8:37 am

And since its now 2022, I'd say this year and next year will have a bunch of members try to extend their milestone/club awards as there are a ton of globalists now :P

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 33225055)
2021 is not the year to raise a stink about lack of extended milestone awards. Save it for a time when the YTD count is truly a YTD count. Between Hyatt and Marriott, my count has little to do with actual 2021 nights in bed. It's a year I'll make highest status with Marriott only because they've lowered the spend bar so low that it was accidentally tripped over. 2021 might be the final year consumer is victorious in the hotel program battle. Hilton has won their battle. Let us hope we find true value with Hyatt beyond this year.

DELee Jan 8, 2022 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars (Post 33883356)
And since its now 2022, I'd say this year and next year will have a bunch of members try to extend their milestone/club awards as there are a ton of globalists now :P

At this point, if folks don't get out in 2022, it won't matter how often Hyatt extends their awards. Fundamentally, it is those folks who are actually getting out and staying at properties and using them.

David

59Impala Jan 8, 2022 2:14 pm

So if awards are valid until Feb 2024, and you lose Glob status on 1 March 2023, can the SUA and TSU still be used as a non-Glob after 3/1/2023 ? Thoughts?

Matt4200 Jan 8, 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 33884340)
So if awards are valid until Feb 2024, and you lose Glob status on 1 March 2023, can the SUA and TSU still be used as a non-Glob after 3/1/2023 ? Thoughts?

Yes? TSU’s have never been exclusive to Globalists. Every year before 2021 they have been earned by Explorists. There’s many Explorists who even post here. If someone earns 50-59 nights but does not hit 60 they still earn 2 TSU’s and they’re still just as valuable.

59Impala Jan 8, 2022 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 33884354)
Yes? TSU’s have never been exclusive to Globalists. Every year before 2021 they have been earned by Explorists. There’s many Explorists who even post here. If someone earns 50-59 nights but does not hit 60 they still earn 2 TSU’s and they’re still just as valuable.

not quite… Explorists earn SUAs via the milestones. TSU are earned by the tier status. That is why I have both in my account. I earned SUA through Milestones and get the TSU as LT Glob or then for the 70/80 etc.
yes, they are just as valuable, but wondering if a TRUE TSU can be used by a non (Glob) tier, that is my question.

Matt4200 Jan 8, 2022 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 33884378)
not quite… Explorists earn SUAs via the milestones. TSU are earned by the tier status. That is why I have both in my account. I earned SUA through Milestones and get the TSU as LT Glob or then for the 70/80 etc.
yes, they are just as valuable, but wondering if a TRUE TSU can be used by a non (Glob) tier, that is my question.

Maybe you don’t know this because you’re a LT Glob but SUA’s are what is earned by Explorists and Globalists at the 50 and 60 night milestones and for 70-100 milestones. The teen TSU and SUA are interchangeable, they are not different things they are one in the same. They function exactly the same way, by blocking and upgrading to a guaranteed Standard Suite.

Gertjaars Jul 22, 2022 8:46 am

I always go with the SUAs when I book reservations months in advance/during peak travel time.

the 10K points isn't worth it, especially when you can buy or earn the points pretty easily.