Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:27 pm

Is this one considered a resort and no late checkout?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by just2010just
Is this one considered a resort and no late checkout?
Not yet a resort and late checkout for Globalists should be 4pm.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
The closest train station is more than 1km away. It's probably faster to walk to Kikunoi. There are many options in the area around the hotel, but of greatly varying quality.
If the train is so far away, how are people planning on exploring Kyoto? Walking it all?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
Hopefully they provide a bike, but there's bus stations nearby
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by rp88
If the train is so far away, how are people planning on exploring Kyoto? Walking it all?
Other options are taxi or, if you're feeling adventurous, the bus. When staying at FS or HR I typically walked to the train or wherever I was going (this is the downhill way, just as at PH), then took a taxi back; granted, the train station closest to HR/FS is only about 10 minutes away vs. the 15-20 from the PH.

Several bus lines should run along Prefectural Route 143 near the hotel (the road itself is around a 5-minute walk, but not sure where the actual bus stops are), including routes that go to Kyoto Station.

To be frank, Kyoto's train system is not that useful anyway, especially for shorter distances. If there's a station near where you need to go then it might work, but it's rarely the case and might need inconvenient transfers even if so. For example, it's not even possible to get to Kyoto Station on the line (Keihan) that the nearest stations are on. Also, note that the company of the same name that operates the Keihan Line doesn't accept the JR Rail Pass.

Last edited by gengar; Nov 15, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
The closest train stations are Keihan at either Gojo or Shijo, about a 15 minute walk; not exactly far. No matter where you stay in Kyoto actually exploring the city can be a bit of a challenge transportation-wise. Some people try the buses, but they are incredibly overcrowded. A hired car can be worth the expense, especially for a group of 4 people, but of course it is not exactly cheap. My preference would be to combine trains (Keihan + subway gets you to much of the city, adding Hankyu, JR, etc, depending on destination) and taxis. Taking taxis alone can get very expensive; traffic in Kyoto can get terribly congested, and the meter keeps going up; we once spent 15 minutes in a taxi trying to turn a corner at a traffic light to go to a temple.

There is a lot to see within easy walking distance from PH Kyoto; I would say that it is better located for walking sightseeing than the FS or RC.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Beautiful season for walking Gion now.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Not yet a resort and late checkout for Globalists should be 4pm.
Thanks. That is great.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by gengar
For example, it's not even possible to get to Kyoto Station on the line (Keihan) that the nearest stations are on.
Well, yes and no. It's not direct, but you can transfer at Tofukuji, which is south of Kyoto station, then take JR back up. The hassle of transferring in Tofukuji is offset by not having to drag your stuff deep into the heart of Kyoto Station. You arrive and you are right in the middle of it.
hailstorm likes this.

Last edited by Mark McCracken; Nov 15, 2019 at 1:04 am
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Mark McCracken
Well, yes and no. It's not direct...
Hence no. You literally say it in the next sentence.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Mark McCracken
Well, yes and no. It's not direct, but you can transfer at Tofukuji, which is south of Kyoto station, then take JR back up. The hassle of transferring in Tofukuji is offset by not having to drag your stuff deep into the heart of Kyoto Station. You arrive and you are right in the middle of it.
While not a direct connection, this would be very useful to anyone not wanting to take a taxi to Kyoto Station. Either Keihan station should be no more than a 15-minute walk from PH Kyoto.

FWIW, I've only found it a pain to be in the "heart of Kyoto Station" when connecting from the metro or otherwise using the underground passages, A taxi to either side of the station is extremely easy (although the traffic lights always make the taxi more expensive than expected).
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
While not a direct connection, this would be very useful to anyone not wanting to take a taxi to Kyoto Station. Either Keihan station should be no more than a 15-minute walk from PH Kyoto.
The issue is that taking a bus is a far quicker option than the train. Between walking to the nearest station, waiting for a train (and only the slowest trains stop at Tofukuji), the platform transfer at Tofukuji, more waiting for a train, and the actual train travel time, it's entirely possible that walking all the way to Kyoto Station could sometimes be faster than taking the train. That's how inconvenient these transfers are. It's not even cheaper than the bus, since fares are due to both Keihan and JR. Anyone even considering this would have to be truly bus-averse, walking-averse, and/or have a real train fetish.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
To be honest I think if you stay at the Park Hyatt you can afford a taxi to the hotel
richarddd and hailstorm like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
To be honest I think if you stay at the Park Hyatt you can afford a taxi to the hotel
Agreed. Even though I booked with points, I would still arrive by taxi rather than by bus or train, at least for check-in. If you really want to save money, get off from the nearest train station and take a taxi to the hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by nonamelive
Agreed. Even though I booked with points, I would still arrive by taxi rather than by bus or train, at least for check-in. If you really want to save money, get off from the nearest train station and take a taxi to the hotel.
Even that might save only US$1-2, and that's only if traveling solo. IIRC flag drop in Kyoto is very high, around $6, which will account for around half the fare to PH from Kyoto Station.

I fully understand that PH Kyoto will be an 'aspirational' stay for some guests, and taking the bus to/from Kyoto Station might be attractive for those trying to save every dollar they can. But then the train wouldn't even be a consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.