Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sensei
There is solid data showing that Hyatt's ADR is significantly higher than the competition. So it seems folks are paying more to stay at Hyatt (even HP/HH). Whether that will change with the transition to World of Hyatt remains to be seen. Hyatt seems to think it won't, while several folks on this thread appear to have a different view. I guess we will know more next year.
The slide below is from the Investor Day 2016 presentation (p20).

Yes, Hyatt's ADR is higher than Marriott's and Hilton's. But they also claim to have 73% of their rooms in the Luxury and Upper Upscale category, with Marriott at 58% and Hilton at 38%. So how much of Hyatt's higher ADR can be attributed to a larger mix of inherently more expensive rooms?

The question I would have is whether they have and will continue to have pricing power for rooms in the same category as their competition.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The slide below is from the Investor Day 2016 presentation (p20).

Yes, Hyatt's ADR is higher than Marriott's and Hilton's. But they also claim to have 73% of their rooms in the Luxury and Upper Upscale category, with Marriott at 58% and Hilton at 38%. So how much of Hyatt's higher ADR can be attributed to a larger mix of inherently more expensive rooms?

The question I would have is whether they have and will continue to have pricing power for rooms in the same category as their competition.
I also wonder if the Starwood properties are included in that Marriott calculation. (Probably not so Hyatt looks better.) I would think SPG had higher ADRs that Marriott due to the larger luxury footprint vs budget footprint.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jacobsa
I think you need $50K in spend on the credit card to get Explorist status starting March 1st. And you're right...no night credits based on spend.
Yes, you are correct. From the FAQ:

Can I earn a higher tier by spending on the Hyatt Credit Card?

Yes, starting January 1, 2017, Hyatt Credit Cardmembers who spend $50,000 USD on their Hyatt Credit Card in each calendar year will receive Explorist status through the following calendar year.

I based my number on this recent post in the CC thread.

But what's 10 grand among friends.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
I also wonder if the Starwood properties are included in that Marriott calculation. (Probably not so Hyatt looks better.) I would think SPG had higher ADRs that Marriott due to the larger luxury footprint vs budget footprint.
Not sure if Goldman Sachs included it (that seems to be the source of the Marriott number).

Quick glance at

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...r-2015-Results

shows $171 for Starwood FY2015. Not sure if the FYs for all chains are the same timeframe.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RTW1
You seem to be really hung up on this high-end thing..... forgetting that the reality is that 50% is HP/HH, then lots of very average HR's. If you are pushing it you could maybe qualify 10-15% of the room inventory as something approaching high-end.

Perception and reality are quite different....
+1
Perhaps he is thinking about such high-end properties as the Hyatt Regency Rochester? I stayed there for a wedding recently and, as a Diamond with an upgraded room, I would've had a better experience by far at a Hampton Inn, where I did move after a couple of days (and for a much cheaper rate), and an equal experience at a Baymont Suites. In short, the HR Rochester is a dump with poorly-trained staff.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
For 2017 this could be not bad. I'm burning all my points at Hyatt and it seems like DSU's are pretty much pointless if there's availability in suites. Now might have to convince management and point to the new rules to force upgrade into suites, but no need now to scour for points and cash.

Park Hyatt Sydney or New York, better to use 30,000 then 15,000 + $300 (can outright buy points cheaper during promos).

Still wondering if globalists who fail to requal will be downgraded to explorist or just straight out.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
For 2017 this could be not bad. I'm burning all my points at Hyatt and it seems like DSU's are pretty much pointless if there's availability in suites. Now might have to convince management and point to the new rules to force upgrade into suites, but no need now to scour for points and cash.

Park Hyatt Sydney or New York, better to use 30,000 then 15,000 + $300 (can outright buy points cheaper during promos).

Still wondering if globalists who fail to requal will be downgraded to explorist or just straight out.
Sydney over New York. The food at New York is some of the worst, and the luxury footprint is so much better that the PHNY is really a poor option. Everyone seems to like the Andaz on 5th, which will be my next stay.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food is fine, but not amazing, at the Andaz on 5th, BTW.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by josephstern
breakfast at the Andaz is amazing. Dinner is fine.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by josephstern
I seem to recall from the Andaz 5th ave discussion board that the lemon poppyseed pancakes are 'amazing'. There you have it
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Loved the hotel- the room, the staff, the location

the lemon poppyseed pancakes --not so much
(too sweet-almost cloying)

the avocado toast was a winner though !

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I seem to recall from the Andaz 5th ave discussion board that the lemon poppyseed pancakes are 'amazing'. There you have it
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
Loved the hotel- the room, the staff, the location

the lemon poppyseed pancakes --not so much
(too sweet-almost cloying)

the avocado toast was a winner though !
Does no one have any love for Hyatt Centric Times Square? Andaz 5th St. design looks blah and form-over-function (like desk or storage).

P.S. I'd stayed at PH NY before and didn't find service amazing; not sure what's up with the closed restaurant either . Walkability isn't as great for touristy stuff as somewhere closer to TS.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler

One-level downgrade each year.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JackE
One-level downgrade each year.
Not so fast... nothing has been stated what will happen next year....
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by RTW1
Not so fast... nothing has been stated what will happen next year....
I thought the response to Markie's inquiry to Zidell confirmed that anyone not requalifying for their present tier would be downgraded just one tier. Did I misunderstand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.