Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by duhe
The only reason that I have ever stayed in either is it was the most convenient Hyatt (definitely not the most convenient hotel).
99% of my HH/HP stays have been driven exclusively by HGP Diamond membership/qualification in cities where there was no full service Hyatt option. So with those incentives gone, I'm not going to be seeing the inside of many (any?) HH/HP going forward.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
Anyone know the new requirements for courtesy card with WOH if available?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:35 pm

367 nights a year for CC.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by antonius66
367 nights a year for CC.
Not going there
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by craz
Id say as good as DL,AA,UA,VX , JB ditching a rev based RDM program and going back to miles flown = RDMs = its not gonna happen, if anything Hyatt will end up ahead by all of the frugals and 25 Stayers leaving

Now if we end up with a Global economy like it was back in '08 then anything can happen,but barring an economy going down the drain Hyatt will end up gaining by doing what it is and we will be the losers
How do you figure Hyatt will end up ahead?

Hyatt sets the price for hotel rooms, not the customer. And in order to get HGP credit, you pretty much HAVE to book through non-discount channels. I don't even go anywhere else than Hyatt.com to book a room.

What you're suggesting is that hotels price their rooms below cost in their non-discount channels.

I fail to see how Hyatt is losing money on so many customers.

With dynamic pricing, hotels will get less revenue with lower occupancy rates. And chasing away customers will result in lower occupancy rates.

You've put forth a questionable premise without bothering to fill it in with logical details on how they lose money with more customers.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
How do you figure Hyatt will end up ahead?

Hyatt sets the price for hotel rooms, not the customer. And in order to get HGP credit, you pretty much HAVE to book through non-discount channels. I don't even go anywhere else than Hyatt.com to book a room.

What you're suggesting is that hotels price their rooms below cost in their non-discount channels.

I fail to see how Hyatt is losing money on so many customers.

With dynamic pricing, hotels will get less revenue with lower occupancy rates. And chasing away customers will result in lower occupancy rates.

You've put forth a questionable premise without bothering to fill it in with logical details on how they lose money with more customers.

Other than the corporate owned properties Hyatt makes it "vig" off the franchise fees. The owners of the properties make theirs off the occupancy ( along with F&B, depending on the ownership and how many properties they control dictates their pricing policy. It is a basic "load factor " scale. If one looks at properties you can see this in play by checking their rates throughout a certain period of time. Airlines did this for a long time.

Rates are increasing "on thank you "equality capitol" especially in the higher demand cities around the world. I just got back from Paris and Dubai, whoaaa
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
So, who's leaving, who's staying, who was leaving but now staying?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Leaving once WOH takes over.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I'm making one more big push to gather points for a last hurrah at the GH Kauai over Thanksgiving...will stay with Hyatt up until March when the program changes. As someone who stays at a lot of cheap Hyatts and HP's, losing the diamond amenity is the final straw. I'll burn all my points and enjoy Thanksgiving, but starting in March, I'm moving all my business to Marriott/SPG with Hilton as my secondary.

Broke the news to my family this morning and thought my 10 year old was going to cry...he LOVES the GH Kauai, so I told him he better enjoy it this year!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Broke the news to my family this morning and thought my 10 year old was going to cry...he LOVES the GH Kauai, so I told him he better enjoy it this year!
You'll have to give him a tour of several Marriott/SPG properties on the island. There are a bunch of them. I'm sure that you'll find a suitable substitute.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Other than the corporate owned properties Hyatt makes it "vig" off the franchise fees. The owners of the properties make theirs off the occupancy ( along with F&B, depending on the ownership and how many properties they control dictates their pricing policy. It is a basic "load factor " scale. If one looks at properties you can see this in play by checking their rates throughout a certain period of time. Airlines did this for a long time.

Rates are increasing "on thank you "equality capitol" especially in the higher demand cities around the world. I just got back from Paris and Dubai, whoaaa
You're correct; my response was quickly written after reading the old, 'Hyatt's probably losing money on some Diamonds' garbage. Neither Hyatt corporate nor the franchisees are losing money on those of us who meet the Diamond minimums. The benefits that are provided to Diamonds are not that expensive - the largest cost for Diamond benefits are the Club/Diamond breakfast. And the Diamond breakfast in the restaurant is not a large cost to the hotel - providing a staffed Club with food/refreshments is almost certainly more expensive.

Hotels have been using yield management very similar to airlines for a very long time.

Equality Capital: I did a search and came up empty. I haven't noticed hotel prices rising all that much overall, but it seems like hotels are charging larger premiums during peak occupancy.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
You're correct; my response was quickly written after reading the old, 'Hyatt's probably losing money on some Diamonds' garbage. Neither Hyatt corporate nor the franchisees are losing money on those of us who meet the Diamond minimums. The benefits that are provided to Diamonds are not that expensive - the largest cost for Diamond benefits are the Club/Diamond breakfast. And the Diamond breakfast in the restaurant is not a large cost to the hotel - providing a staffed Club with food/refreshments is almost certainly more expensive.

Hotels have been using yield management very similar to airlines for a very long time.

Equality Capital: I did a search and came up empty. I haven't noticed hotel prices rising all that much overall, but it seems like hotels are charging larger premiums during peak occupancy.
Follow up on the Equity Capitol and it's affect on hotel prices, disclaimer I am in the construction industry ( usual place for ex AF drivers !) and a portion of our annual gross is related to the hospitality industry. Primarily reflagging but now with the huge upswing in new hotels we are doing new construction. The capital ownership groups are squeezing everything they can out of the properties, amenities are going away, maintenance is being deferred especially on the exteriors, when doing room refreshes they are cheaply done, trust me I know. Exteriors are horrible in many cases and getting worse.

When they have bled them they sell. Witness the Hyatt Honolulu. GS bought from a Japanese businessman, out went the limo, Colony Grill etc. NO exterior maintenance for over 10 years. They sold to Blackstone who did a cheap room refresh. The exterior began to really come apart they started repairs then sold it. Now there is a incoming Korean group and everyone at the hotel are holding their breath that the hotel will be restored to it's once great place to stay.

Equity Capital is having a huge effect on many of the service industries today.

I just got back from flying three different foreign flags, business, economy and FC. Even the coach had better cabin service than many US carriers FC. I flew Iceland air, AF and EK. the later two I fly frequently. I do not fly US metal internationally why would one?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:34 pm

Leaving.

I don't expect WoH and whatever follows to be as good as HGP. They have transformed themselves into a program no more exciting than Marriott and Hilton but with a smaller footprint and harder qualifications.

I'll replace Hyatt in my rotation with Fairmont starting in 2017 until they get rolled into Accor. After that, I'll reevaluate, although I doubt Hyatt will be competitive.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
2016: 10 stays, 36 nights with Hyatt

2017: Explorist; will try to make use of my club upgrades and burn my points

As for revenue stays, I will have Gold status on Marriott, Hilton, and SPG (all via Amex Plat and RewardsPlus), and don't expect to make a run for higher level status with any of them. My revenue stays will thus be driven by promos, hotel rates and location convenience. Might give Hyatt some nights... or none.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:42 pm

Left already.

2016: SPG (Projected 8 Nights), Hyatt (32 Nights), Marriott (Projected 110 Nights.

2017: Cancelled all 15 Hyatt (already qualified as Globalist). reservations and rebooked on Marriott/SPG.

Still have to burn all my points and certificates so some Hyatt award stays will happen in 2017.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
i wonder if we'll see a huge spike in points redemptions of users redeeming all their points before jumping ship, and having properties complain, and a points devaluation following in 2018

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.