Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I spent 5,000 for a dinner here. :P I suppose it was worth it as a similar dinner in the USA would probably cost 4x if not more. It was an amazing dining experience.
That's what ultimately matters

Que tengas buenas vacaciones!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Having just spent four nights in Mexico City, the prices quoted in this thread (3000 pesos for dinner, $190 for a 1 hour massage, etc.) are absolutely insane and reflect massive price gouging by the management.

This still looks like a beautiful property but I will wait until after March 1, when resort fees are waived for top tier.
Waived "resort" fees would be very nice - just priced out a stay at Andaz and at Ziva: Ziva turns out to be ~$50/nt cheaper in total even though Andaz has a $60/nt lower rate.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I did notice the hotel has (already) raised prices of some dinner entrees vs the menus available in this thread.
Really? Only one month in? For the exact same entrees as are on the menus posted in this thread? Is it in reaction to the recent exchange rate change (ex. a 5-10% increase) or is it something less justifiable (ex. 30-100% increase for no reason whatsoever)? Are there still decent mains dishes in the $15-$20 range or are they all $25+ now?

Last edited by blahmeh14; Jan 29, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Really? Only one month in? For the exact same entrees as are on the menus posted in this thread? Is it in reaction to the recent exchange rate change (ex. a 5-10% increase) or is it something less justifiable (ex. 30-100% increase for no reason whatsoever)? Are there still decent mains dishes in the $15-$20 range or are they all $25+ now?
From what I saw, their price increase (for now) was for meat entrees. Poultry / seafood was the same price as it is on the menus here.

But, for example, the Rib Eye Steak at Casa Amate went from 950 to 1,250. And the Beef Pachamanca went from 450 to 620. So approximately a 30% hike in price.

There's plenty of entrees in the 300-400 range ($15-$20). Room service, surprisingly, is priced on the same level as the restaurants - which makes it a good alternative for an evening in.

I must say, the dinner service at the restaurants is top-notch. Amazing waiters and lots of attention to detail. They will do whatever they can to customize an entree based on your individual needs.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
From what I saw, their price increase (for now) was for meat entrees.
Hmm. I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's a supplier/market issue then, or maybe they realized that they had mispriced it from day one.

But, if they are instead just playing around with the prices and then keeping track of orders to see what they can get away with charging... well, that's not very professional to say the least...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
We booked a last minute trip here for Feb 4th-8th, super excited! We did P+C and a DSU, so getting 4 nights in a suite for 40,000 points & $670 (rate, taxes, & $75 resort fee) total. Combined with the SW points & companion pass we used for the flights, we're getting a great deal on the trip.

Some questions for those who've been/are there:

-Does OllaCeviche have any non-seafood items on either of their menus? I didn't see any on the dinner menu posted here. I don't like much seafood but my husband loves it, so I'd like to be able to try it.

-Has anyone had any spa treatments? We know it'll be overpriced, but we're planning to spend some of our travel savings on massages.

-Is there free boat transportation between all the resorts in Mayakoba, or is it a paid service? Any price/usage info would be helpful if it is paid.

-Has anyone eaten at any restaurants at other resorts in Mayakoba?

-Has anyone done a tour to Chichen Itza?

-Are there beach suites on the top floor or only the lower level?

Thanks very much!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We didn't have spa treatments, but we did use the spa hydrotherapy facilities. The spa was quite nice. Really enjoyed it. It's not big, but also not small.

We spoke to multiple folks who had had treatments that they enjoyed, crazy prices aside.

We were in a beach suite on the top floor and it looked like the unit below us on the ground was also a beach suite.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:51 am

Spa is $300 final cost w expected tip for one hour.
Rosewood spa is same price, maybe a bit less, 5 min walk from Andaz lagoon, and more special.

OllaCeviche is all raw seafood, except for one cooked lobster dish. It and OllaTaco menus avail to beach pool loungers, so think it would be just fine to dine with items across both menus. They are steps apart.

Boat service is cutesy, not practical. Four trips daily each way in a circle for free, midday. The way to get between resorts is walk or hotel's free car.

Bring $100 in singles for tipping. Everyone is expecting.

Thai at Banyan Tree is A+.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
We didn't have spa treatments, but we did use the spa hydrotherapy facilities. The spa was quite nice. Really enjoyed it. It's not big, but also not small.

We spoke to multiple folks who had had treatments that they enjoyed, crazy prices aside.

We were in a beach suite on the top floor and it looked like the unit below us on the ground was also a beach suite.
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Spa is $300 final cost w expected tip for one hour.
Rosewood spa is same price, maybe a bit less, 5 min walk from Andaz lagoon, and more special.

OllaCeviche is all raw seafood, except for one cooked lobster dish. It and OllaTaco menus avail to beach pool loungers, so think it would be just fine to dine with items across both menus. They are steps apart.

Boat service is cutesy, not practical. Four trips daily each way in a circle for free, midday. The way to get between resorts is walk or hotel's free car.

Bring $100 in singles for tipping. Everyone is expecting.

Thai at Banyan Tree is A+.
Great, thanks for the spa info. I will look into the Rosewood one & see if we'd rather check it out.

Good to know about OllaCeviche, and I was thinking we could maybe have dishes from both, given how many people here & on TA have said how accommodating the staff is. We'll give it a try!

Does OllaTaco have TVs? Andaz has a Super Bowl event on their FB page, but it doesn't say where at. I was curious if they're bringing in TVs or what.

We will look up the Banyan Tree restaurant, we love Thai food!

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Looking to stay here in December on award nights, but trying to figure out how to get at least breakfast included. I'm only Platinum Gold Passport. I'd use more points to do a club room, but I don't see club level at this property. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Looking to stay here in December on award nights, but trying to figure out how to get at least breakfast included. I'm only Platinum Gold Passport. I'd use more points to do a club room, but I don't see club level at this property. Any suggestions?
There is no club here, only at the Grand Hyatt PDC
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:15 am

I just finished a three night stay here. I was very disappointed and the stay was substantially below my expectations (in mitigation, I came in expecting an amazing property).

My main gripe is about the check-in process and the room offered. I am a Diamond, and I had booked the room on points.

Unfortunately, the the check-in agent and the manager on duty were not familiar with Diamond benefits---such as the best room on arrival (except Suites). He kept telling me Diamond members only get uprgaded one category level (from Lagoon King to Lagoon King View). They do not get upgraded to the best room. I even showed him the Diamond benefits as listed on GoldPassport.com. He would not agree. He offered to upgrade me to a beach king for $70 per night---completely against GP rules. I even told him I was willing to use a cash+points booking and a Diamond Suite Upgrade. He did not even know what one of them was... The manager kept saying he would not upgrade me--but I could pay for it. Eventually, he gave me the upgrade but made it completely sound like he was the one doing me a favour. I was pretty frustrated, this was not the way I wanted to start my trip.

The beach king, was actually a room overlooking the lagoon on the beach side. Not an ocean/beach facing room.

Then my bags never showed me to my room for an extra hour---they had sent to the wrong room (even after two calls). Diamond amenity never showed up, again I had to call for that.

Later in the evening, I called up GP, and asked about the availability of C+P + DSU, they told me they were available, but Andaz Mayakoba's reservation team had left for the evening, but call back in the morning. Since, I had checked in, it would be up to the hotel's discretion whether to let me switch to a DSU+C+P room. I tried the next morning, but the same manager was on duty, who had no knowledge of things like DSUs, and was just saying there was no availability now (even though GP said there was). He may have been telling the truth, but to be honest I just could not reust him.

Service was hit and miss. For instance, ordering a salad at the beach took over an hour. But then, Leon at Case Amate and the bartender (I wish I could remember his name) were amazing.

Food: I think they need to work on some of the dishes. Some of the dishes at OlleTaco and Casa Amate were great but then there were some really stinkers. It was strange but every waiter basically told us every dish was not-spicy. We kept asking for a chipotle or haberno sauce on the side.
Drinks: Bar tenders are magicians. Some of the mezcal cocktails were incredibly well balanced.

Late check-out? Fat chance.

I was really hoping to love this hotel. But service overall was poor. And that reservations manager drove me nuts. I don't want to go back.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why didn't you book P+C and DSU to begin with if you wanted to stay in one?
And unfortunately, no late checkout at resorts (although 2pm is normally no problem).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DrEcon
I just finished a three night stay here. I was very disappointed and the stay was substantially below my expectations (in mitigation, I came in expecting an amazing property).
Thanks for the report. I also find it quite frustrating when properties don't honor the best available room policy, and it seems to happen with some frequency. Unfortunately, GP doesn't do anything to compel compliance so the practice continues.

With the restaurant and bar traffic, sounds like you are the type of guest (profitable) that the property should be incenting to return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.