Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Can 2 adults and 2 teenagers book a suite?

Looks like only kings in suites. Would hotel accommodate a rollaway in other room?
Will try to call today but wanted to see if anyone was able to stay in suite with 4 people.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:26 am

The fact that there is a designated child pool but no designated adults-only pool is a huge turn-off at this property. I fully understand and accept bringing the kids on vacation, but the presence of multiple little ones simultaneously at each of four (!) pools can make relaxation extremely challenging for those of us without kids.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mreplus
The fact that there is a designated child pool but no designated adults-only pool is a huge turn-off at this property. I fully understand and accept bringing the kids on vacation, but the presence of multiple little ones simultaneously at each of four (!) pools can make relaxation extremely challenging for those of us without kids.
Having been to Zilara and Ziva in Cancun, I was actually surprised how many people brought their kids to the Andaz. The ration of couples with kids was far higher than Ziva it seemed.

But the pools are so spacious, it wasn't really too much of an issue.

Most of the times, the kids had stuff to do at the kids club.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:01 pm

Tip about water.

The resort gives out nice bottled water for free everywhere: lobby, pool, and rooms.

HOWEVER, when you go to lunch or dinner at the restaurants, they will ask you if you want still or sparking water. If you ask for still, they will give you a big glass bottle of water and then charge you about $8-$9 USD per bottle.

If you want free water, you have to ASK specifically for non bottled ice water. Then they will just pour you iced filtered water from a pitcher.

During breakfast, everyone gets free water from a pitcher.

It's cheaper to pay for soda than drink bottled water at the restaurants.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by shaker58
Looks like only kings in suites. Would hotel accommodate a rollaway in other room?
Will try to call today but wanted to see if anyone was able to stay in suite with 4 people.
The couch was definitely big enough for an adult to sleep on.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:51 pm

Thoughts about this property versus Grand Hyatt PdelC for an Explorist with a club certificate? I have originally booked three nights here on points (great value!) for February, but as a single person not too keen on the all the kids, and I wouldn't be able to use my club certificate. Andaz just looks much more plush, though.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by joetro
Thoughts about this property versus Grand Hyatt PdelC for an Explorist with a club certificate? I have originally booked three nights here on points (great value!) for February, but as a single person not too keen on the all the kids, and I wouldn't be able to use my club certificate. Andaz just looks much more plush, though.
Grand Hyatt is so close to the party area, it's quite a contrast to andaz. We took a day trip to playa and could not wait to go back to andaz.

We even walked around the grand Hyatt to see if it would be a place we'd want to stay in the future. No way. It's way too crowded. The resort is beautiful but do not like the way the pools are all squeezed into the middle and onto the crowded beach.

You will have lots of more food and entertainment options outside the grand Hyatt.

If you want space, peace, "nature", and luxury then choose andaz.

If you want nightlife, shopping, cheaper food options all in walking distance, the grand Hyatt would be better.

But I think Hyatt ziva in Cancun would be a good compromise.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Thought I'd share my thoughts having stayed on points with no status for 5 nights in February.

My wife, 6 month old daughter, and I stayed here on points last week and we loved it, but I think you have to "figure out" the resort a little bit to really get everything out of it.

We had a standard "Andaz King" room in the lagoon area. Our view was pretty much nothing, as we were on the bottom floor, just some plants outside our little patio. We were in building 12 and could easily walk to the gym, lagoon pool, Cucina Milagro and Casa Amate (the two restaurants up in the lagoon area). Our room was great for us. Comfortable bed, nice shower and plenty large. I especially appreciated that everything in the mini bar other than alcohol was free. They had chips, nuts, sodas, sparkling waters and juice, as well as two chocolate bars. They'll replenish everything once a day for you, so if you want you can stock up and then get new stuff the next day. My wife also really enjoyed the Nespresso pods for coffee in the morning.

We really liked being up in the lagoon area instead of down by the beach. The lagoon pool area is much more kid friendly, and we like to wake up and workout in the morning, which would have been a pain taking a cart up from the beach. Kids club is also located in lagoon area, so if you are dropping your kids off there, its easy.

Food: The breakfast buffet is nice but expensive ($37pp). We ate their twice and then twice we ate breakfast down at OllaTaco (French toast, coffee, OJ for $12... my wife had chilaquiles for like $13 including coffee and juice). If you're the type of person who wants to eat a lot of food for breakfast then skip lunch or have a really light lunch, then paying for the very extensive buffet might be good, but for us the value just wasn't there. We had dinner at Casa Amate one night and thought it was pretty good and a very pretty setting but it was quite expensive for what it was. Food was fine, not great. We ate lunch by the pools or in Olla Taco most days. Thought it was good and reasonably priced. Guacamole is excellent. We were a little frustrated though that the exact same guacamole (and fajitas) were twice as expensive at the beach pool as at the lagoon pool. (Guac 90 pesos vs 205 pesos, chicken fajitas 105 pesos vs 215 pesos). So, if you want to save some money time it out so you're up at the lagoon pool for lunch (or early dinner). FWIW the fajitas and guacamole were excellent.

We also ate at the Saffron (Thai food) at Banyan Tree. Thought it was very good, though not really any better than the Thai food we get from a few places in Dallas. Was expensive, but not crazy... and we really liked the view, location out on the lagoon, etc. Recommend heading over there one night.

Pools and Beach: We really enjoyed the pool area and beach area. Service was excellent at both, with someone always around to help you set up or move an umbrella, bring you drinks/food and make sure you had a couple cold waters. One of the lagoon pools has a hot tub in the corner that mixes with the rest of the pool. End result, pool is nearly 90 degrees and the hot tub is maybe 98. This pool was great for our 6 month old as the other pools (maybe 82 degrees) were a little chilly for her liking. The beach is beautiful and the sand is soft and they kept it very clean. Nobody trying to sell stuff. On windy days they do get a moderate amount of seaweed washed up on the shore (happened to us 2 of 5 days). I didn't really mind the seaweed, but they do send out crews of people to rake it up and put it in trash bags and haul it away, but they're pretty much out there all day doing it, which is a little bit of a buzzkill. Still, its not a huge deal, and its not a problem specific to this resort, the entire area has to deal with the seaweed when the wind blows from the East.

Transportation: Free anywhere in Mayakoba either by car or golf cart. Never took more than 2 minutes to get a car ready to take us to another resort or the golf course. It does take a little longer to get around than you might think though. Door to door from our room to Saffron at Banyan Tree probably took 25 minutes (golf cart from room to lobby, car to BT, golf cart from BT lobby to Saffron). Speaking of golf carts, the system works pretty well around Andaz. The walk from our room to the beach was at least 30 minutes, so we were glad they had the carts. Never had to wait long for one, we usually just started walking and they'd pick you up when they saw you, but you can call for one too if you're particularly immobile and/or lazy.

Generally speaking the service at the resort was wonderful. Every single person we interacted with was friendly and professional and seemed proud of their job. Everybody spoke English proficiently and were happy to go slowly in Spanish if you wanted (my wife and I both know just a little bit). While you should definitely tip for service there (but not for rides in the carts imo) I never got the impression that they were expecting a tip... no awkward lingering or anything of that sort.

One thing that did annoy me- they have a 15% service charge on EVERYTHING. Now, I'm fine with having it at restaurants (though the end result for them is less than if they just let me tip 20% as a minimum on my own) but when I buy sunscreen at their little shop, it seems kind of ridiculous to me that they add a 15% service charge to that purchase as well. Though I will also say that the 15% is on the pre-tax price or things. Since all the prices there INCLUDE the 16% tax, the 15% service charge actually ends up being less than 15%. So my 260 peso sunscreen had something like a 30 peso service charge instead of 39 pesos.

One other thing, the golf course.... it's a good course, it hosts a PGA event, and they're very proud of that. But there are no ocean views (two par 3s play toward the beach with the green above the sand, but its nothing like some of the courses in Cabo, no holes running along the coast, etc). I used one of my 3 free Citi Prestige rounds and thought it was a decent use of that, but I wouldn't pay $300 to play their course (this coming from a former scratch golfer, now 3 handicap who is happy to pay $500 at Pebble, $300 at Sawgrass, etc). There's just nothing special about the course, its fine, reasonably challenging, and the pace of play was good.

Anyway, that's a long post, but hopefully gives those without status out there a feel for what they'll get staying here. We really liked it. I would not pay $400+/night to stay there, but we were looking to burn some Chase points and this was a decent way to do it.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. ^

About the 15% service charge issue ... it left a sour taste for me because I felt the restaurant staff took advantage of me for being a 'dumb American' as most of them said the service charge is not their propina / tip. So here I was expected to pay a 15-20% propina on top of the insane variable resort fee, service charge, etc. But that's my fault for falling for the trap as "service charge" at restaurants equals tips and should be left at that without asking further. I did receive wonderful service at all restaurants so I guess that makes it 'Ok', right... I did confirm with the GM and FOM later who acknowledged the 15% service charge is the tip "unless we want to recognize an an individual employee" but that there might be some confusion as the employees have not been paid yet with their 'bonuses' (this was within their first few weeks after opening) - but there should be SOP for all employees to follow and not make up stuff, instead this behavior seems to be encouraged as the checks have a line to leave a "propina / tip" instead of "additional propina / tip" ... just to make things confusing.

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Thought I'd share my thoughts having stayed on points with no status for 5 nights in February.

My wife, 6 month old daughter, and I stayed here on points last week and we loved it, but I think you have to "figure out" the resort a little bit to really get everything out of it.

We had a standard "Andaz King" room in the lagoon area. Our view was pretty much nothing, as we were on the bottom floor, just some plants outside our little patio. We were in building 12 and could easily walk to the gym, lagoon pool, Cucina Milagro and Casa Amate (the two restaurants up in the lagoon area). Our room was great for us. Comfortable bed, nice shower and plenty large. I especially appreciated that everything in the mini bar other than alcohol was free. They had chips, nuts, sodas, sparkling waters and juice, as well as two chocolate bars. They'll replenish everything once a day for you, so if you want you can stock up and then get new stuff the next day. My wife also really enjoyed the Nespresso pods for coffee in the morning.

We really liked being up in the lagoon area instead of down by the beach. The lagoon pool area is much more kid friendly, and we like to wake up and workout in the morning, which would have been a pain taking a cart up from the beach. Kids club is also located in lagoon area, so if you are dropping your kids off there, its easy.

Food: The breakfast buffet is nice but expensive ($37pp). We ate their twice and then twice we ate breakfast down at OllaTaco (French toast, coffee, OJ for $12... my wife had chilaquiles for like $13 including coffee and juice). If you're the type of person who wants to eat a lot of food for breakfast then skip lunch or have a really light lunch, then paying for the very extensive buffet might be good, but for us the value just wasn't there. We had dinner at Casa Amate one night and thought it was pretty good and a very pretty setting but it was quite expensive for what it was. Food was fine, not great. We ate lunch by the pools or in Olla Taco most days. Thought it was good and reasonably priced. Guacamole is excellent. We were a little frustrated though that the exact same guacamole (and fajitas) were twice as expensive at the beach pool as at the lagoon pool. (Guac 90 pesos vs 205 pesos, chicken fajitas 105 pesos vs 215 pesos). So, if you want to save some money time it out so you're up at the lagoon pool for lunch (or early dinner). FWIW the fajitas and guacamole were excellent.

We also ate at the Saffron (Thai food) at Banyan Tree. Thought it was very good, though not really any better than the Thai food we get from a few places in Dallas. Was expensive, but not crazy... and we really liked the view, location out on the lagoon, etc. Recommend heading over there one night.

Pools and Beach: We really enjoyed the pool area and beach area. Service was excellent at both, with someone always around to help you set up or move an umbrella, bring you drinks/food and make sure you had a couple cold waters. One of the lagoon pools has a hot tub in the corner that mixes with the rest of the pool. End result, pool is nearly 90 degrees and the hot tub is maybe 98. This pool was great for our 6 month old as the other pools (maybe 82 degrees) were a little chilly for her liking. The beach is beautiful and the sand is soft and they kept it very clean. Nobody trying to sell stuff. On windy days they do get a moderate amount of seaweed washed up on the shore (happened to us 2 of 5 days). I didn't really mind the seaweed, but they do send out crews of people to rake it up and put it in trash bags and haul it away, but they're pretty much out there all day doing it, which is a little bit of a buzzkill. Still, its not a huge deal, and its not a problem specific to this resort, the entire area has to deal with the seaweed when the wind blows from the East.

Transportation: Free anywhere in Mayakoba either by car or golf cart. Never took more than 2 minutes to get a car ready to take us to another resort or the golf course. It does take a little longer to get around than you might think though. Door to door from our room to Saffron at Banyan Tree probably took 25 minutes (golf cart from room to lobby, car to BT, golf cart from BT lobby to Saffron). Speaking of golf carts, the system works pretty well around Andaz. The walk from our room to the beach was at least 30 minutes, so we were glad they had the carts. Never had to wait long for one, we usually just started walking and they'd pick you up when they saw you, but you can call for one too if you're particularly immobile and/or lazy.

Generally speaking the service at the resort was wonderful. Every single person we interacted with was friendly and professional and seemed proud of their job. Everybody spoke English proficiently and were happy to go slowly in Spanish if you wanted (my wife and I both know just a little bit). While you should definitely tip for service there (but not for rides in the carts imo) I never got the impression that they were expecting a tip... no awkward lingering or anything of that sort.

One thing that did annoy me- they have a 15% service charge on EVERYTHING. Now, I'm fine with having it at restaurants (though the end result for them is less than if they just let me tip 20% as a minimum on my own) but when I buy sunscreen at their little shop, it seems kind of ridiculous to me that they add a 15% service charge to that purchase as well. Though I will also say that the 15% is on the pre-tax price or things. Since all the prices there INCLUDE the 16% tax, the 15% service charge actually ends up being less than 15%. So my 260 peso sunscreen had something like a 30 peso service charge instead of 39 pesos.

One other thing, the golf course.... it's a good course, it hosts a PGA event, and they're very proud of that. But there are no ocean views (two par 3s play toward the beach with the green above the sand, but its nothing like some of the courses in Cabo, no holes running along the coast, etc). I used one of my 3 free Citi Prestige rounds and thought it was a decent use of that, but I wouldn't pay $300 to play their course (this coming from a former scratch golfer, now 3 handicap who is happy to pay $500 at Pebble, $300 at Sawgrass, etc). There's just nothing special about the course, its fine, reasonably challenging, and the pace of play was good.

Anyway, that's a long post, but hopefully gives those without status out there a feel for what they'll get staying here. We really liked it. I would not pay $400+/night to stay there, but we were looking to burn some Chase points and this was a decent way to do it.

Last edited by CodeAdam10; Mar 2, 2017 at 10:51 pm
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:23 am

I thought that Saffron at Banyan Tree was very expensive for what it was. Good - but as you say, not anything mind-blowing. Also key to note that the prices there are before tax (16%) and the service charge (15%). We had the set menu (~$65 USD each if I recall), a couple of cocktails and a couple sparkling waters and our bill was ~$280.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gunner14
I thought that Saffron at Banyan Tree was very expensive for what it was. Good - but as you say, not anything mind-blowing. Also key to note that the prices there are before tax (16%) and the service charge (15%). We had the set menu (~$65 USD each if I recall), a couple of cocktails and a couple sparkling waters and our bill was ~$280.
We did 1 set menu and one pad thai. With wine we got out for 170 USD. Yes, expensive, but we could have done 2 entrees with an appetizer instead of the pricier set menu and maybe gotten out for 130. Could be worse, but yeah, triple what it costs in Dallas (but atmosphere lots better).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:47 pm

I know the preference of Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen vs. Cozumel vs. Mayakoba can come into play here. But as I evaluate the choices of beach hotels in the area from Hyatt, this has to be the standout property, right?

Have people been able to form an opinion on the Zilara vs. Andaz Mayakoba? And is there anyone who really just likes the Hyatt in Playa Del Carmen?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by factory81
I know the preference of Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen vs. Cozumel vs. Mayakoba can come into play here. But as I evaluate the choices of beach hotels in the area from Hyatt, this has to be the standout property, right?

Have people been able to form an opinion on the Zilara vs. Andaz Mayakoba? And is there anyone who really just likes the Hyatt in Playa Del Carmen?
We went to GH PDC for 5 nights in early march of last year and had an excellent experience. As a diamond, we got a plunge pool suite (I had to talk my way into the extra category upgrade on top of a DSU), and found the club lounge food and drink excellent. Over the course of 5 nights, we got hundreds of dollars of value out of that. The suite was great, although the plunge pool was a little cold for us. We found the pool area and beach to be very good. The pool is not GH Kauai, but then few places are.

I was worried about the noise from the day club, but wasn't really bothered by it. I like EDM, and it stops pretty early (6 or 7pm?), so it's not an issue at night.

While we didn't spend a ton of time off-resort, there's also something to be said for accessibility to shopping, nightlife, and restaurants.

We're looking forward to our visit to Andaz Mayakoba next month, but would definitely return to GH PDC in the future.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:06 pm

So are all the pools, including the private plunge pools NOT heated on this property??
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by shingu79
So are all the pools, including the private plunge pools NOT heated on this property??
answer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.