Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Apps are not advised in Cancun for lots of reasons.

Some shuttle services are excellent such as USA Transfers.

Taxis are plentiful, safe, and inexpensive by international standards.

Nothing more to say.

I find the frequent misinformation about Mexico (i.e insinuations about lack of safety in tourist areas) to be annoying.
I respect your point of view.

Can you share with us some info on why ride share are not advised besides being pushed off the road by taxi drivers?

do Cancun taxi drivers take credit card payments?

Ive had good experiences with USA and Canada transfers. But they are not the best option if I wanted to go into Cancun costco or etc.

I totally did not intend to spread any misinformation good or bad. That was the info I got after doing the research. Nothing I’ve said so far has been misinformation.

if there’s a better or safer option than what’s commonly available, then I think it would be great for people to have that info to make an informed decision.

As you’ve said, Cancun Taxis may be as safe as any big city, even though you yourself have informed us that they have been known to put Uber drivers in danger, I would want my loved ones to be informed about possible safer options.

Last edited by Pointsloop; Feb 26, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:21 am

Ive taken USA Transfers recently. They are very easy to use. Cost was 24 dollars round trip per person. Shuttles are clean and air conditioned. I prepaid online, but they can be cancelled without penalty close to the day.

out of curiosity i did try to use the uber app but it did not function in cancun.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by cevawn
Ive taken USA Transfers recently. They are very easy to use. Cost was 24 dollars round trip per person. Shuttles are clean and air conditioned. I prepaid online, but they can be cancelled without penalty close to the day.

out of curiosity i did try to use the uber app but it did not function in cancun.
thanks for the helpful info. I have a suspicion that ride share apps may be geoblocked in the hotel zone.

I’ll try when I get down there and share what I find.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Pointsloop
I respect your point of view.

I totally did not intend to spread any misinformation good or bad. That was the info I got after doing the research. Nothing I’ve said so far has been misinformation.
Except you wrote that "according to your research" the taxi drivers aren't background checked and aren't insured. The implication to the casual FT reader is that taxis in Cancun aren't safe. That's wrong and total misinformation. Your also feeding the narrative that Cancun, in general, isn't safe - which is also not true. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, but in general, and by any reasonable standard, the official taxis in Riviera Maya are plentiful, safe, and (relatively) inexpensive.

BTW, presumably when a pissed off taxi driver (attempting to save his/her livelihood) attempts to run an Uber off the road, a) the taxi is empty and they are NOT driving a customer somewhere themselves, and b) the Uber/Rideshare (getting run off the road) IS driving a customer somewhere...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:20 am

Except you wrote that "according to your research" the taxi drivers aren't background checked and aren't insured. The implication to the casual FT reader is that taxis in Cancun aren't safe. That's wrong and total misinformation. Your also feeding the narrative that Cancun, in general, isn't safe - which is also not true. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, but in general, and by any reasonable standard, the official taxis in Riviera Maya are plentiful, safe, and (relatively) inexpensive.

BTW, presumably when a pissed off taxi driver (attempting to save his/her livelihood) attempts to run an Uber off the road, a) the taxi is empty and they are NOT driving a customer somewhere themselves, and b) the Uber/Rideshare (getting run off the road) IS driving a customer somewhere...
wow for someone that’s says they are not trying to to spread misinformation, that’s a lot of presumptions.

I Can also presume that those Uber drivers are trying to make a living too and also presume they don’t want to get hurt and also presume there are more cars on the road than just taxi drivers and Uber drivers.

Here’s something with no presumptions:

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017...ers-in-cancun/

where have I ever stated that Cancun isn’t safe? Why would I go there if that was the case?

I’ve never said all taxi drivers are not background searched or not insured.

i was only discussing transportation options.

Can you provide us what kinda background search all Cancun taxi drivers go through and how to verify they have insurance. If you can provide that info, you may finally contribute something useful to this discussion instead of just a lot of presumptions.

Last edited by Pointsloop; Feb 27, 2020 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:25 pm

wow for someone that’s says they are not trying to to spread misinformation, that’s a lot of presumptions.

I Can also presume that those Uber drivers are trying to make a living too and also presume they don’t want to get hurt and also presume there are more cars on the road than just taxi drivers and Uber drivers.

Here’s something with no presumptions:

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017...ers-in-cancun/
Seriously? A single years old article? It’s a metro area with 1M residents and 8M int’l visitors per year.... Guess what? Sh*t happens wherever you live, too.

For the last time... the taxis are considered safe by international standards and ride share isn’t recommended. Now go ahead and have the last word... I’m done.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Feb 27, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:37 pm

Seriously? A years old article about a single incident? It’s a metro area with 1M residents and 8M int’l visitors per year.... Guess what? Sh*t happens wherever you live, too.

For the last time... the taxis are considered safe by international standards and ride share isn’t recommended. Now go ahead and have the last word... I’m done.
single incident? Maybe you should the whole article.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:58 pm

Cabify or Uber Ride share apps definitely do not work in the Hotel Zone area of Cancun. They work in downtown area but are Geoblocked in the hotel zone area.

Cabify seems to be 1/3 more expensive than Uber, but Cabify is in the taxi union and go through background checks.

kinda funny, but UberEats is available.

hope that info helps.

Last edited by Pointsloop; Mar 1, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:42 pm

Make sure to double check your Hyatt points activity after you check out.

Mine had a ridiculously wrong low eliglble spend amount that I had to call WOH to get fixed.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:04 pm

Make sure to double check your Hyatt points activity after you check out.

Mine had a ridiculously wrong low eliglble spend amount that I had to call WOH to get fixed.
Same thing, zero eligible spend posted. Waiting to get it fixed.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:06 am

how come Hyatt is not dropping it's prices for stays at this hotel this month ? Come on Hyatt, it's the coronavirus, give it up!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
how come Hyatt is not dropping it's prices for stays at this hotel this month ? Come on Hyatt, it's the coronavirus, give it up!
Because a) leisure destinations aren't losing that many customers (yet) - Disney World, for example, is still packed to the gills and Key West (last weekend where I was) is still fairly normal and b) lowering prices right now isn't likely to stimulate much demand when the world is in panic mode. Outside of cruise lines (which have been selectively mass discounting) there hasn't been that much movement in the leisure business. It will very likely come, however.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:28 pm

More and more employers are asking their staff to avoid personal travel abroad, so I'm expecting cancellations.

Come on Hyatt Ziva, stop the "manage perceived value" bluff and drop your prices already.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:32 pm

Best rate guarantee?

Has anyone been successful in submitting a beg claim on a price found on playa resorts website as they seem to be about 15% cheaper for same rate and room type?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Has anyone been successful in submitting a beg claim on a price found on playa resorts website as they seem to be about 15% cheaper for same rate and room type?
Yep, worked for me in Cap Cana. The actual rate wasn't hugely less expensive, but the extra 20% was nice. My BRG was accepted within 12 hours.

The playa website seems to pretty consistently run just a bit lower than the hyatt website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.