Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:55 am

Stayed here for 6 nights in the last 2 weeks. The facilities of the hotel are nice, but the service is just not up to par for comparably priced properties in the Galleria area. Check in for my two stays was delayed as they processed a van of flight attendants, I had a room not serviced one day (first time I think this has ever happened), valet parking is unnecessary and expensive, and the coffee set up in the morning is beyond slow (every morning it is like the staff is just seeing a point of sale machine for the first time ever). The front desk staff is very aloof and seem distracted by almost every little thing. The lobby is loud. i think the engineers messed up the accoustics in the space and having a quiet conversation is almost impossible.

That said, the rooms are a nice size (albeit with no desk). The gym is one of the better hotel gyms I've seen in a while. They just added a Peloton bike which is a nice addition. The bar was nice with great service. I did not eat at the property.

I typically stay at JW or St Regis but gave the Hyatt a try as I'm tired of the Marriott program. This property didn't do much to inspire me on coming back to it.
ClarkGriswold likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:04 am

This is a fair assessment. The service can be good sometimes, but it's just not consistent. I've never been able to put my finger on it, but "aloof" is a spot on description of the front desk folk. It always seems as though I'm interrupting or bothering them when asking for assistance with something.

Also, this is one of the few properties that I always have to push for Globalists upgrades to suites or better rooms at check-in. It's frustrating because I don't like to be that guy, but when the app shows availability out the wazoo and they tell me no suites available, come on. Of course after looking at the screen for a few minutes, they're always able to "find" one. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm usually here with family not business.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
This is a fair assessment. The service can be good sometimes, but it's just not consistent. I've never been able to put my finger on it, but "aloof" is a spot on description of the front desk folk. It always seems as though I'm interrupting or bothering them when asking for assistance with something.

Also, this is one of the few properties that I always have to push for Globalists upgrades to suites or better rooms at check-in. It's frustrating because I don't like to be that guy, but when the app shows availability out the wazoo and they tell me no suites available, come on. Of course after looking at the screen for a few minutes, they're always able to "find" one. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm usually here with family not business.
Personally I think it's a gorgeous building, with gorgeous rooms, beautiful pool area, and a good lounge (with complimentary drinks)...

In terms of service: rule of thumb for me is whether the property is a "Managed" or "Franchise" property. Managed properties are operated by Hyatt Corporate staff (regardless of who owns the building - which can vary). Franchises are like Subway: they use the Hyatt name and are supposed to live up Hyatt standards, but they are NOT Hyatt employees standing behind the desk. In my experience, Managed properties are almost always better run, more consistent, better maintained, and a better experience. The vast majority of the problems I've experienced over the years have been at Franchise properties (such as issues with Globalist benefits, upgrades, misc service issues, etc.)

Obviously, the H.R. Houston Galleria is a Franchise.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Question -

Has anyone stayed on the 13th floor Suites?

Just informed by the Manager I was allocated a Suite on the 13th floor (not sure if it’s Regency or Executive Suite), I thought most hotels don’t have a 13th floor for bad luck. Also was told it’s the same floor as the Executive Lounge.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Question -

Has anyone stayed on the 13th floor Suites?

Just informed by the Manager I was allocated a Suite on the 13th floor (not sure if it’s Regency or Executive Suite), I thought most hotels don’t have a 13th floor for bad luck. Also was told it’s the same floor as the Executive Lounge.
We stayed on the 13th a couple of years ago and we survived and haven't had any bad luck so far.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We stayed on the 13th a couple of years ago and we survived and haven't had any bad luck so far.
Haha well that’s good to know!

Do you recall if it was a Regency or Executive Suite?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:44 pm

Haha well that’s good to know!

Do you recall if it was a Regency or Executive Suite?
It was an executive suite. Just a one night stay on a December 30th and there was no one staying there. But they reluctantly gave us a late check-out on the 31st because they were full that night.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
It was an executive suite. Just a one night stay on a December 30th and there was no one staying there. But they reluctantly gave us a late check-out on the 31st because they were full that night.
Hmm well hopefully we get an Executive Suite That’d be nice.

Probably reluctant because it’s a franchise location more than it being full. I let them know ahead we’ll not need a late checkout hopefully that helps to get bumped up. Nice to be near the Executive Lounge. I love that it’s open 6am to 8pm too. Just stayed at a Hilton who’s Executive Lounge was literally only open 6-11am and they started removing breakfast options at 10am only leaving drinks/fruit the last hour.

What were your thoughts on the Lounge at HR Houston Galleria?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:11 pm

Hmm well hopefully we get an Executive Suite That’d be nice.

Probably reluctant because it’s a franchise location more than it being full. I let them know ahead we’ll not need a late checkout hopefully that helps to get bumped up. Nice to be near the Executive Lounge. I love that it’s open 6am to 8pm too. Just stayed at a Hilton who’s Executive Lounge was literally only open 6-11am and they started removing breakfast options at 10am only leaving drinks/fruit the last hour.

What were your thoughts on the Lounge at HR Houston Galleria?
Frankly it was 2 years ago and we stay in so many hotels that I just don't remember. I do remember the suite, however.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Staying here soon any updates if the lounge is open? Or overall covid experience?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:37 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Staying here soon any updates if the lounge is open? Or overall covid experience?
The lounge is closed. The only food available is from the Starbuck's counter in the lobby. Most of the staff seem to be following Hyatt's COVID guidelines - the exception being the valet driver when we stayed. Less than half the guests we encountered wore masks ... but that's actually pretty good for TX.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by skj
The lounge is closed. The only food available is from the Starbuck's counter in the lobby. Most of the staff seem to be following Hyatt's COVID guidelines - the exception being the valet driver when we stayed. Less than half the guests we encountered wore masks ... but that's actually pretty good for TX.
Restaurant has reopened for breakfast. Full buffet available to globs. They serve it to you.

Also we do have a mask mandate in TX and compliance is much higher than 50%.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:15 pm
skj

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Restaurant has reopened for breakfast. Full buffet available to globs. They serve it to you.

Also we do have a mask mandate in TX and compliance is much higher than 50%.
When did you stay ? We were there last week and the restaurant was closed.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by skj
When did you stay ? We were there last week and the restaurant was closed.
Was there this week.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:53 pm
skj

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Was there this week.
Appreciate the update. Now the property should update their website ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.