Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:47 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

The hotel is part of the 7.6-acre, mixed-use Galleria Plaza development, which includes high-end retail and specialty stores, luxury apartments and several recently completed office towers. The development will also include Hyatt Place Houston Galleria, adjacent to Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria. The Hyatt Place hotel is currently under construction and is expected to open in early 2016.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:35 pm

Has anyone by chance been here yet or have any information on its status?

I was looking at making a reservation for a weekend night in a few weeks and noticed club rooms weren't available. I called and sure enough the club isn't open yet and the only rooms that are open on the "3rd-6th floor".

In general, what's the ramp up period for a hotel to be fully operational?

Thanks,
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Has anyone by chance been here yet or have any information on its status?

I was looking at making a reservation for a weekend night in a few weeks and noticed club rooms weren't available. I called and sure enough the club isn't open yet and the only rooms that are open on the "3rd-6th floor".

In general, what's the ramp up period for a hotel to be fully operational?

Thanks,
I stayed there today and was on the 7th floor.The Regency Club is not yet open, and according to the front desk, the Suites located on the corners were not yet available. They are still bringing floors and rooms on line.
The Lobby was gorgeous and I was met at the door ,greeted and checked in promptly. Diamond members are given a breakfast at the restaurant downstairs and you can order a main dish, coffee and juice. IMJ this will change when the 3rd floor club is open.
My King room was brand new, spacious ,and a good size. It has a small marble table with a Hyatt style couch in the window.There are plenty of plugs and USB ports,safe , a small fridge, along with a Large Screen LED TV in front of the bed.
The Bathroom was spacious with a Walk in Shower ( no tub) , and separate toilet compartment.There were plenty of new thick towels , wash clothes, and hand towels.
Room service is quick and the Burger and hand cut fries came within 30 minutes and was very good.
Although I did not use the pool , I could see it out the window by the elevator bank and it was complete, and looked inviting.
The hotel is brand new, everyone is super eager to please and well worth staying
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:34 am

[QUOTE=martinplas;25603046
The Lobby was gorgeous and I was met at the door, greeted and checked in promptly. Diamond members are given a breakfast at the restaurant downstairs and you can order a main dish, coffee and juice. IMJ this will change when the 3rd floor club is open.
The hotel is brand new, everyone is super eager to please and well worth staying[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the report. Curious, did they offer you the 2,500 points for the lounge being closed?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM Lifetime PLT, Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT PLT, Hertz PC
No desk?

I'm assuming from the description posted above [and confirmed by a quick review of the hotel website] that there is no desk nor ergonomic chair in the room. If that's indeed the case, I won't be staying there.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Yes they did offer the 2500 points for not having the RC open and no desk or erg chair in the room I had.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Will be staying at the property next Friday (the 27th) - and will post a review, esp. if it is Good. Let's see what GP Diamond benefits they provide. I did confirm the RC is still closed as of that date.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Update: Stayed at the Property in late November and it is a lovely property. Got upgraded to a Suite and the views were gorgeous. Well constructed property - the Regency Club was not open yet; will be staying there again in late December and should be able to opine on the RC. They have brought in experience management from Chicago to train the staff (most of whom are new to Hyatt for sure; some may be new to hospitality) and it will take some time to work out the kinks; but love physical product (the Gym is fully equipped - including free weights up to 50lbs or maybe even more). Valet parking is the only option (at $30 ish per night) so that is a cost to keep in mind when you book.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:15 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Time to make this a Review thread ??

My wife and I stayed here for a Saturday night last month. Very nice, new property, but we encountered a few "teething" problems. After checking in, when we opened the door to our room, it hadn't been made up, or perhaps was still occupied ?. The bed wasn't made, there were towels on the floor, etc. We went back downstairs to the front desk and the 2 persons were apologetic and found us another room. We went up to our new room and everything was fine. We got a call a few minutes later from the front desk manager, who again apologized and offered us a suite for the night. We were heading out to a party at that moment and would be leaving early the next morning, so I declined the offer as I didn't want to take the time to switch rooms again. I did ask if we could have complementary breakfasts the next morning, instead of the suite, and the answer was an immediate yes. I was pleased with this great service recovery.

The Regency Club was open, and while we didn't have a chance to visit it in the evening, we did stop by in the morning. The breakfast looked like a standard continental spread, with cereals, breads and fruits, and no hot dishes. There was a machine for espresso drinks, but it was out of order. The club seemed on the small side, but there were only a couple of guests in it.

As stated in earlier posts, there was no desk in the room. I mentioned this when we were checking out and the person at the desk said several guests had complained about this. I've noted this in review threads for a couple of other Hyatt properties, and think it's a terrible trend ...

In spite of the hiccups, we'll be staying here again the end of this month. It's much nicer than the Hyatt House a few blocks away and is less expensive, at least for the nights I've checked.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by skj
Time to make this a Review thread.
Done - my apologies but didn't do it earlier since I was away when the earlier posts were made.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:27 pm

I've been here for the past 6 nights and tonight is my last. All the staff is wonderful--friendly and very accommodating. I received two hand-written notes from management during my stay.

I used a DSU. The suite is very nice, but there is no desk. I thought this was unique to the suites, but I see above that the standard room must also not have a desk. The suite has an anteroom before the bedroom with a large L-shaped couch, desk height table, a side chair, a mini-fridge, and a huge television. The table is useable as a desk, but there is no power nearby. I asked that Engineering bring me a power strip and extension cord so I could have power while I worked at the table.

The Regency Club is also very nice. Hot items are scrambled eggs and oatmeal. There is also cheese and a cold protein that changes daily. In 4 breakfast visits, I saw two different Italian salami varieties, prosciutto, and smoked salmon. Other cold items are fruit, pastries, cereals, and Greek yogurt. There are snacks out in the afternoon. In the evening, there are hors d'oeuvres and wine/beer. One is offered one complimentary drink. I expected that additional servings could be paid for, but that's not the case. Besides all that, there is coffee, tea, bottled water, and cans of soda.

The restaurant breakfast is the standard Hyatt buffet. There are breakfast vouchers for some purpose that I didn't learn. When I chatted with the front desk employee and explained that I generally liked the properties without clubs since I got a full hot breakfast, she gave me a voucher to try it out. I also received a second voucher after a mishap in my room.

Valet parking at $30/day is the only obvious option. I did not explore the area for other options.

Dining is a little confusing. There is a restaurant, a bar, and a market café, each with its own menu. I only ate at the bar, but every menu was available to me as long as I knew to ask for it. The man next to me at the bar was disappointed when he saw me eating a steak at the bar after he just ordered a sandwich at the café.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I would stay again.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:50 pm

I had an Award night which I needed to use by the end of January from my Hyatt Visa which was a great excuse to take my wife on a trip to Houston and stay at the new Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria! When I arrived I was greeted at the front by the valet who informed me that the valet was the only parking option. While this was a little disappointing as I usually prefer to self-park because I personally find it more convenient, that was the only time I was even close to disappointed the entire stay. The hotel itself was absolutely gorgeous and had a very modern look (as would be expected from a hotel that just opened 4 months ago).

Once inside we were immediately greeted again by the women at the front desk who was very happy to help us check in. I gave her my name and she was able to immediately find my reservation and she thanked me for being a Diamond member with Hyatt. Even though I did not redeem a DSU (as this was an award night) we were informed that we had been upgraded to the Regency Suite! The women who checked us in gave us the run-down of the hotel, told us where the Regency Club was, hotel restaurant, etc. What I did not expect was that instead of telling us where the elevator was she walked us to the elevator, hailed us an elevator and even push the button for our floor before telling us to enjoy our stay!

We dropped our bags off in the room and we in awe of the absolutely gorgeous suite we were upgraded to. It had floor to ceiling windows with an excellent view of the Galleria. There was no desk however there was a very large living area with an L-shaped couch and table which enough seating around to entertain about 8 extra guests. There were 60” flat screen TVs in both the Bedroom and the living area, probably the biggest TV I’ve seen in a hotel. The bedroom has very nice as well and even had an iPhone dock with a lightning port which I thought was great. The bathroom was probably the best part of the room. It had a huge glass encased shower stall with more than enough room for me and my wife to shower. The toilet was in a separate closet sized room in the bathroom for additional privacy (as there was no door between the bedroom and the shower). We were both very pleased with the room which we both liked a lot more than the suites at the Hyatt Regency Houston Downtown.

After exploring our room, we headed up to the Regency Club for some evening hor d'oeuvres. We arrived just as they were about to clean up but the attendant was more than accommodating. He offered us both a complimentary class of wine or a beer. The hor d’oeuvres change every evening and they were very enjoyable.

Once we finished our wine at the Club we went down to the lobby Restaurant, which was actually three establishments in one. There was the Urban Star Restaurant, Market, and Bar. They each have a different menu but guests are more than welcome to order from each menu regardless of where they sit. We choose to order off of the market menu and then sit in the dining area of the restaurant where our food was served to use when it was ready.

Breakfast at the Regency Club was up to par with the rest of our stay. They had hot eggs, oatmeal, and a selection of fruits, meats, and yogurt that changed each day. Probably one of the best lounge breakfasts I’ve had at a hotel.

Overall we were very impressed with our stay at the Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria. The accommodations were fantastic, the food was excellent and the staff went out of their way to make the guests feel welcome. In fact, I can’t recall a single time I walked past an employee of the hotel without them asking our by stay was and wishing us a good day or evening. We will certainly be returning on our next trip to Houston.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Can't seem to locate nights available using points -- have checked several days including some 6 months from now -- that have regular king and twin rooms available, but won't show available for using GPP points. Anyone else seen this problem?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Lack of Desk and Chair????

Originally Posted by Scottie
I'm assuming from the description posted above [and confirmed by a quick review of the hotel website] that there is no desk nor ergonomic chair in the room. If that's indeed the case, I won't be staying there.
Just checked into this property, upgraded to large room on top floor... and no desk! There is a largish lounge but no real chair.

Went down to the Regency Club on the floor below and again no table/chair combination where I could comfortably use my laptop. Most all lounge type chairs. Few, if any, power outlets that can be accessed.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I had a chance to stay at this property for a few nights a couple of weeks ago. I booked a room with my corporate rate and used a DSU to upgrade to a Regency Suite. I was assigned room 803, overlooking the Galleria, the Williams Tower, and downtown Houston in the distance.

To state the obvious, it's a beautiful brand new hotel. The Regency Suite was large and well laid out for the most part. However, that brings me to the biggest problem with the room. As others have noted with the standard room, there is no desk. Even stranger, there is a lack of easily accessible power outlets, given the fact it's a new hotel. I was able to drag the oversized coffee table to the sofa to work, but I had to move one of the sections of the sofa to reach an outlet for my laptop. Another (minor) annoyance is the shower. Though it's big enough for a party, there is just one tiny handheld shower held with poor water pressure.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. Staff was pleasant, especially the folks manning the club lounge. While evening offerings were meh (Sam's frozen appetizers), the breakfast spread was good with eggs, breakfast meats, oatmeal, and assorted pasties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.