Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Houston Galleria REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Great hotel, great service, no desk, but maybe a remedy

Have stayed at the hotel a few times over the last several weeks.

As others have said, it is a nice, shiny, new hotel, and the staff has been uniformly spectacular. The descriptions and pictures above are accurate.

Like Marriott, Hyatt is starting a disturbing trend of making new (or renovating old) rooms without desks. I'm sure some focus group or marketing folks told them this would appeal to some group, but it sucks for me as a business traveler who generally works when I'm on the road. Despite its name, I don't like a laptop in my lap.

There is a small table and a chair that can be utilized for work, but the power outlets are not conveniently located for that without moving some furniture around.

After a recent visit, I received a survey about my stay. I provided feedback about everything, but made a specific note about the lack of a desk.

Today, I received an email from the hotel thanking me for my feedback and asking me to contact them prior to my next stay and they would put a desk in my room.

That is some severely impressive customer service.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Have stayed at the hotel a few times over the last several weeks.

As others have said, it is a nice, shiny, new hotel, and the staff has been uniformly spectacular. The descriptions and pictures above are accurate.

Like Marriott, Hyatt is starting a disturbing trend of making new (or renovating old) rooms without desks. I'm sure some focus group or marketing folks told them this would appeal to some group, but it sucks for me as a business traveler who generally works when I'm on the road. Despite its name, I don't like a laptop in my lap.

There is a small table and a chair that can be utilized for work, but the power outlets are not conveniently located for that without moving some furniture around.

After a recent visit, I received a survey about my stay. I provided feedback about everything, but made a specific note about the lack of a desk.

Today, I received an email from the hotel thanking me for my feedback and asking me to contact them prior to my next stay and they would put a desk in my room.

That is some severely impressive customer service.
I've had a few stays too and that is my biggest complaint. I've had engineering bring a power strip up. Did Roohi contact you? She's great. Arthur in the Regency Club is fantastic too. For a domestic property, other than the desk issue, I'm very happy and the price is always reasonable.

I'm going to have to ask them about a desk for my next few stays.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Just finished a 3 night stay with the family and we had a lovely time.

As stated before, the rooms are new and shiny which is always a plus but the shining star is the staff. Beyond friendly, and beyond helpful. The cookies & milk that were sent to the kids brightened their day!!

Parking is the only hit to the wallet that hurt, but the car was always waiting when I got down so take the good with the bad.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Playsmart
Just finished a 3 night stay with the family and we had a lovely time.

As stated before, the rooms are new and shiny which is always a plus but the shining star is the staff. Beyond friendly, and beyond helpful. The cookies & milk that were sent to the kids brightened their day!!

Parking is the only hit to the wallet that hurt, but the car was always waiting when I got down so take the good with the bad.
Agree on the parking...this week I parked in the Galleria garage instead. The 3rd floor of the Yellow garage has overnight parking for $13...about a block walk from hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
I think that this has become my least favorite full service Hyatt property. I can't stand valet parking and don't see the need for them to have that as their exclusive parking option. I understand valet-only hotels in places like Manhattan, who feel that they could only do more damage than good by allowing tourists to navigate their facilities. There is no reason that valet-only should be the only option at a hotel in suburbia. I've stayed at the Hotel Indigo just a couple of blocks away, and they didn't charge for parking at all.

On top of that, last night when I checked in, I was thanked for my "diamond loyalty" and then told that they didn't have the king size room that I had reserved. Been told that there is no longer a 5,000 Gold Passport point guarantee for bed type, so I can only say that not attending to my reservation surely doesn't make me feel welcome for my diamond loyalty. It makes me wonder why I don't stay more at Marriott, where if they don't fill your reservation, you are given cash payment. Needless to say there was no explanation from anyone on either of these poor service efforts.

As others have stated, the lack of a work desk is extremely inconvenient - especially in a room with two queen beds, and the breakfast in the club lounge was a positive - so far, my only positive.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:55 am

I'm here for the week. No valet worries; my "driver" drops me off and picks me up at Sage and Westheimer. I am very happy with a corner room and good StayFit facility. I'm getting by with the odd table/desk, though I have mostly resigned myself to longer days in the office and less work in the room.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Great Stay

Used a DSU to upgrade from a basic room to an Executive Suite. An excellent upgrade. The suite is huge at 900+ SF. Our room 1104 has an entry hall, a wet bar area with a bar counter with two chairs and can be used as a desk. That leads to a dining room, but with a table that is more the height of a coffee table than a dining table. Adjacent to that is a living area with seating for at least 8 and with a coffee table. This area also has what appears to be a 60" built in TV. The bedroom is separated from the living room by sliding glass door. It's nice sized and has a separate TV. Adjacent to that is a large bathroom with a walk in shower that seemed to be handicap accessible. The shower has no door and that led to my wife flooding the entire bathroom. Continuing around is a dressing area and separate enclosed toilet. That leads out to the entry hall again. The suite has some similarities to the Hyatt on the Bund in Shanghai in that it is free flowing - you can walk in basically a circle throughout the suite and land up where you started.

The staff here were outstanding from the parking valets, to the front desk agent, to the comical bartender, to the ever so friendly hostess in the Club. The front desk agent mentioned at least 3 times how much my loyalty to Hyatt is appreciated and he even accompanied us to the elevator to get us on our way to our suite.

The Club on the 13th floor (the only hotel worldwide that I have been in that has a 13th floor) had a very good hot breakfast of cage-free scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and excellent pastries.

This was a great use of a DSU at a wonderful hotel. We will be staying here again whenever we visit Houston.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I was checking out this hotel for a friend and it says the Regency Club is closed "indefinitely". What's up with that?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
They might be a tad busy with the recent flood. Not sure how affected the galleria area was, but just saying.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
They might be a tad busy with the recent flood. Not sure how affected the galleria area was, but just saying.
I don't think it's just that. I was there a few weeks ago, and I definitely got the vibe that the club wasn't a high priority and likely headed down the tube. Broken espresso machine, no desserts in evening (not even a cookie )), and no staff around in the afternoon -- all very different from a visit about year ago.

It's a shame, Arthur who worked there a lot was a cool guy, who apparently used to be the personal butler for some Houston area billionaire or the like.

Curious, I looked at the website to see the premium for a club room at the time was like $30. I don't see how any club can be profitable on that margin (especially since the weekend mix of people in the club seemed to be a lot of families or groups of friends on staycations, etc).

I've been at this property 4-5 times now, and the whole experience can best described as uneven. Sometimes it's been really good, sometimes really meh.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Interesting, was there a few months ago and it was pretty good for a US club.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:32 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
When checking out after a 1 night stay this morning, I asked about the club and was told it would reopen on October 1st. I was given 2 coupons for a free drink and a coupon for the breakfast buffet when I checked in, but only after I asked about how breakfast would be handled since the club was closed.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Any 2018 experiences now that it’s been a few months since the disasters?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:19 am

I was there last week of November 2017 and all was back to normal (club open, etc). Their evening club offerings are on the weaker side of clubs but ok. Service at the hotel is pretty good and they treat globalists good (e.g., post WoH always get a suite, late checkout, etc).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Just a quick note about how good the lounge staff is.

With an expiring certificate, the three kids and I did a one-night guys night out to let them swim in a different pool and sleep in a different bed.

We arrived just before 8pm, after the evening service in the lounge (my only complaint about the hotel is that they stop the evening service too early), but we wandered up to the lounge to grab cookies before heading to the pool.

Sadly, there were no cookies (they were setting up for breakfast), but the lounge attendant said I could go down to the starbucks, tell them I'm a VIP in the lounge, and they would give us cookies. Since it was so late, I told her we didn't really need cookies that bad and that we were just going to head down to the pool.

About 15 minutes later, the lounge attendant came out to the pool with three cookies for the boys. My kids thought that was pretty cool.

Sometimes, it is the little things that show seriously great customer service.
luvFclass and 59Impala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.