Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Guest of Honor

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kdoggold
I have to agree with 777 global mile hound, and K79, and Kacee. Guest of Honor will be a wonderful part of the Diamond perks once they get it right...
They have until December 30th (don't want to be giving out benefits on New Years Eve!) to do so. Every other benefit introduced with a definitive end time has always ended as such; don't see why this will be any different.

I am sure everyone has loads of incentive to "get it right" until then...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:39 am

I like the GOH program a lot. I have used it for my family this past month. They were blown away by the benefits. Fortunately, everything went smoothly, though, I proactively replied to the hotel's pre-arrival email indicating that my guests will be coming.

I think the problems with these GOH bookings are IT related. Because all GOH bookings are in the guest's name only. Diamond member is nowhere on the reservation, the chances of FD staff not realizing the GOH is not surprising. Perhaps, Hyatt simply allowed the Diamond members to book GOH reservations in their own name and add the name of the guest to the booking. That way the reservation is already flagged, no chance for confusion with the FD.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Rather interesting posts for and against!
For some that hate the idea of gifting I get it I don’t. Occasionally it makes me feel really good inside doing it.
Can't imagine the original thinking to be that 100% of Diamond members would benefit from "Guest Of Honor"
And is it really benefiting or rewarding a Diamond member? Well perhaps
Family and friends are benefiting
I certainly don't see how a primary member benefits at all except perhaps emotionally. One is out hard point currency once gifting.
One is giving away donating their points because they care enough about someone
It’s for those with hearts who are generous enough to gift others and give unselfishly an experience their friends family loved ones might not get
or receive on their own unless paying a premium.

General Gold Passport Internal Feedback

In my limited scope of conversations with Omaha agents maybe 4 at the Diamond desk have shared candidly they have never had a
single negative comment only typically positive delighted members.
And I repeated the question no negative comments at all? None Maybe they weren't telling the whole story?
In fact a few agents shared they do frequently have to remind some Diamond members that GOH even exists.
I forget about Cash and Points sometimes even to this day as it cant be seen online.
In those instances agents report when guests are informed about GOH guests almost all have positive feedback and even excitement to be able to extend their privileges.
Most agents were/are aware that many hiccups occurred early on with the launch but now like before they immediately follow up with the hotel when contacted by the primary member or Guest Of Honor when an issue arose/arises and made/make things right for the gift recipient when at all possible.

At the end of the day booking awards in someone else’s name and gifting them has always been available/possible
through Gold Passport so in reality that's nothing new here to speak of
The new twist with "Guest of Honor"is simply allowing extending Diamond elite benefits during their stay
It’s certainly not for all members but then what is?
You are free to use it or ignore it.
Since GOH rolled out I am 3x more likely to gift as a result.
I rarely ever did in the past knowing they would have a stay void of an upgrade,breakfast,wifi. It didnt seem worth sharing

But let’s be really clear this benefit was introduced not in lieu of something else now or previously available in Gold Passport
If ones way of thinking is that by discontinuing this we are going to bring back Faster Free Nights,G Bonuses and Member Elite Rate its simply pie in the sky fantasy thinking
It’s a brilliant out of the box move by the folks at Hyatt where no other program has gone before and an enhancement for Diamond members over others that just get to gift a basic standard room with with regular checkout .
I personally would love to see my preferred carrier American Airlines do the same "Guest of Honor" at least a few times a year
for those I care about that I buy tickets for and worry when they are on the road how they will be treated and how hectic their travel day may be.
It would give me great piece of mind
I have used the American Airlines VIP program "Five Star Service" for loved ones and family where you can gift a traveler Admirals club access
and meet and greet at the planes door and other such helpful service
Its awesome but $250 to $300 per passenger which gets really expensive plus the price of the tickets
Here with Hyatt we can do it simply for the redemption using our points for a room ^

Hyatt lets me know my loved ones matter and for what it’s worth it makes me appreciate and respect Hyatt that much more ^
Hyatt take a bow you got this one right lets hope more programs get it going forward
My two cents

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 25, 2015 at 1:15 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Rather interesting posts for and against!
For some that hate the idea of gifting I get it I don’t. Occasionally it makes me feel really good inside doing it.
Can't imagine the original thinking to be that 100% of Diamond members would benefit from "Guest Of Honor"
And is it really benefiting or rewarding a Diamond member? Well perhaps
Family and friends are benefiting
I certainly don't see how a primary member benefits at all except perhaps emotionally. One is out hard point currency once gifting.
One is giving away donating their points because they care enough about someone
It’s for those with hearts who are generous enough to gift others and give unselfishly an experience their friends family loved ones might not get
or receive on their own unless paying a premium.

General Gold Passport Internal Feedback

In my limited scope of conversations with Omaha agents maybe 4 at the Diamond desk have shared candidly they have never had a
single negative comment only typically positive delighted members.
And I repeated the question no negative comments at all? None Maybe they weren't telling the whole story?
In fact a few agents shared they do frequently have to remind some Diamond members that GOH even exists.
I forget about Cash and Points sometimes even to this day as it cant be seen online.
In those instances agents report when guests are informed about GOH guests almost all have positive feedback and even excitement to be able to extend their privileges.
Most agents were/are aware that many hiccups occurred early on with the launch but now like before they immediately follow up with the hotel when contacted by the primary member or Guest Of Honor when an issue arose/arises and made/make things right for the gift recipient when at all possible.

At the end of the day booking awards in someone else’s name and gifting them has always been available/possible
through Gold Passport so in reality that's nothing new here to speak of
The new twist with "Guest of Honor"is simply allowing extending Diamond elite benefits during their stay
It’s certainly not for all members but then what is?
You are free to use it or ignore it.
Since GOH rolled out I am 3x more likely to gift as a result.
I rarely ever did in the past knowing they would have a stay void of an upgrade,breakfast,wifi. It didnt seem worth sharing

But let’s be really clear this benefit was introduced not in lieu of something else now or previously available in Gold Passport
If ones way of thinking is that by discontinuing this we are going to bring back Faster Free Nights,G Bonuses and Member Elite Rate its simply pie in the sky fantasy thinking
It’s a brilliant out of the box move by the folks at Hyatt where no other program has gone before and an enhancement for Diamond members over others that just get to gift a basic standard room with with regular checkout .
I personally would love to see my preferred carrier American Airlines do the same "Guest of Honor" at least a few times a year
for those I care about that I buy tickets for and worry when they are on the road how they will be treated and how hectic their travel day may be.
It would give me great piece of mind
I have used the American Airlines VIP program "Five Star Service" for loved ones and family where you can gift a traveler Admirals club access
and meet and greet at the planes door and other such helpful service
Its awesome but $250 to $300 per passenger which gets really expensive plus the price of the tickets
Here with Hyatt we can do it simply for the redemption using our points for a room ^

Hyatt lets me know my loved ones matter and for what it’s worth it makes me appreciate and respect Hyatt that much more ^
Hyatt take a bow you got this one right lets hope more programs get it going forward
My two cents
90% of the perks received by the recipients can be obtained simply by booking a Club room. For all those feeling generous to their loved ones, it is not too difficult to gift them a stay in a Club room.

There is no such thing as a "free lunch", GoH may not be a direct tradeoff for My Elite Rate, etc., but anyone thinking that it is not a tradeoff for "something" is definitely fooling themselves.

Most Diamond perks (lounge access, breakfast, late checkout, diamond amenity, pt bonus, etc) benefit, or are at least usable by, at least the majority, if not all Diamond members. No data to back it up, but I would venture that a very small percentage of Diamonds consider GoH a useful benefit.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: SPG P, HH G, MR G, IHG P, Hyatt D
I like Hyatt's Guest of Honor benefit and have used it several times with family members and close friends. Actually today one of daughters is staying at the GH Incheon in Seoul, SK. I called HGP, ask to make a GOH booking, 8000 points were deducted and my daughter will have a great stay (as I always do staying there) for one night before flying back to college in the USA tomorrow. She will get lounge access and breakfast tomorrow morning. It puts my mind and my wife's at peace. Other options would have been the Holiday Inn in Songdo or the Sheraton. But in both Hotels she will not get the guaranteed Diamond member benefits she will get at the GH Incheon. I applaud HGP for being so innovative and creating GOH, it might not work well every time but in general I think it is great and I would like to see it continued past Dec. 31st 2015. And my next GOH booking will go to my wife in less than a week at a HR in China.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
90% of the perks received by the recipients can be obtained simply by booking a Club room. For all those feeling generous to their loved ones, it is not too difficult to gift them a stay in a Club room.

There is no such thing as a "free lunch", GoH may not be a direct tradeoff for My Elite Rate, etc., but anyone thinking that it is not a tradeoff for "something" is definitely fooling themselves.

Most Diamond perks (lounge access, breakfast, late checkout, diamond amenity, pt bonus, etc) benefit, or are at least usable by, at least the majority, if not all Diamond members. No data to back it up, but I would venture that a very small percentage of Diamonds consider GoH a useful benefit.

Agree if Gold Passport members
aren't Diamond members a club room may be redeemed for additional points.
However for Diamond members
Club Rooms cost no additional points with the new program for GOH guests and in select hotels that breakfast can be taken in the restaurant which may be vastly superior
including a late checkout to 4 PM don't come as part of the package without these extended benefits nor does a welcome amenity or premium wifi.
And yes there are such things in life for some as a free lunch when their is marginal costs if any to providing GOH in most locations.
These items/amenities are already fixed and set in the costs of redemption's long before any Diamond member or their guest steps foot in the room that has redeemed.
Its all part of the business model.

An upgraded room or suite
costs the hotel essentially nothing and Hyatt can reduce their liability off the books to some/whatever
degree by having less accounts with accumulated points
Reducing future risk exposure whatever percentage that may be is always in a programs best interest.
Thats one part of the reason why we saw the rebate promotion for 20% back this year for Hyatt Visa card holders
I cant fabricate nor put that into numbers because it would be pure speculation on my part or anyone's here that doesn't have direct access to Hyatt's internal data
But to say the program is declared a winner or loser by speculating percentage numbers is certainly not reasonable IMHO and emotion.

Lets not forget that Hyatt most importantly makes money each and every time we redeem and when we purchase revenue rooms.
With or without providing Diamond benefits
Guests Of Honor are exposed to the Hyatt Diamond recognition which is more powerful advertising & marketing than anything Hyatt can buy in media or print.
It has the potential for a powerful brand experience and has reasonable ROI potential.
Even if that member never becomes a Diamond they may be far more likely to choose Hyatt if its a satisfying stay

I can't make anyone believe that there a large pool of Diamonds out there that are indeed very pleased with the benefit according to
Omaha management this morning.
We are all certainly entitled to our opinions and perceptions
However there is no exact data to support most of it logically on either side presently.Time will tell!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing that HGP will have to work out if GOH is extended another year: will Diamonds with status expiring February 29th, 2016 be allowed to make GOH reservations that take place after that date?

I see three options, neither particularly good:

1. Allow them and risk abuse (e.g. Make GOH reservation for spouse and enjoy Diamond benefits after March 1st.)
2. Disallow them, and create a lower class level of "lame duck Diamond".
3. Punt the issue away by not restarting GOH until March 1st.

Historical evidence is unclear; reservations made for stays after March 1st do not inherit the prior year's tier benefits, but Diamond Suite Upgrades can be used on stays into early 2017.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:55 pm

Thumbs up Breaking Gold Passport News

I am pleased and delighted to announce to our Gold Passport community and those that appreciate
The "Guest Of Honor benefit" as I do it has officially been extended through December 30, 2016 ^
New about this few weeks back but couldn't verify with reasonable certainty from my source.
I do have it in writing from Hyatt and for that reason assume happily that it is indeed official.Very impressed here.

Hopefully it continues to be even more popular and successful as members utilize it to redeem when gift giving
And in time an even smoother and more oiled process with handling guest arrivals at the hotel level upon check in.
Hopefully we will see it as a permanent part of the Award Winning "Hyatt Gold Passport" program going forward.
Kudos to the Hyatt Folks ^
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 30, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am pleased and delighted to announce to our Gold Passport community and those that appreciate
The "Guest Of Honor benefit" as I do it has officially been extended through December 30, 2016 ^
New about this few weeks back but couldn't verify with reasonable certainty from my source.
I do have it in writing from Hyatt and for that reason assume happily that it is indeed official.Very impressed here.

Hopefully it continues to be even more popular and successful as members utilize it to redeem when gift giving
And in time an even smoother and more oiled process with handling guest arrivals at the hotel level upon check in.
Hopefully we will see it as a permanent part of the Award Winning "Hyatt Gold Passport" program going forward.
Cheers
With all due respect, I'll wait for the folks at Hyatt to announce this for themselves, lest we get another "Hyatt Horizons" like retraction.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
With all due respect, I'll wait for the folks at Hyatt to announce this for themselves, lest we get another "Hyatt Horizons" like retraction.
As you wish
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:47 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello Flyertalkers!

We are happy to confirm that the Guest of Honor benefit has been extended through December 30, 2016.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello Flyertalkers!

We are happy to confirm that the Guest of Honor benefit has been extended through December 30, 2016.

Thanks!
Thank you!

Could you please confirm how Guest of Honor reservations after March 1st will work? Will they still be valid even if the person making the reservation has fallen from the Diamond tier?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:19 am

The "Guest Of Honor benefit" as I do it has officially been extended through December 30, 2016
Cheers
Great news indeed 777 global mile hound! Thank you Hyatt!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As you wish
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello Flyertalkers!

Thanks!
^^

Thanks to both 777 global mile hound and GP Concierge for the good news!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Going to be using this quite soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.