Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Guest of Honor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt DM, SPG Platinum, CX DM, AA EXP
More data:
PH Milan 2/2!! (Excellent GM - staff completely on top of GOH).
PH Vienna - not so hot. Contacted GM before hand, so upgrade was confirmed. Welcome amenity and free breakfast were not mentioned, when I called the front desk, they had no idea what I was talking about. Had to get GP desk to intervene.

Last edited by bitsofwonder; Jun 20, 2015 at 8:24 pm Reason: Updating post
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bitsofwonder
More data:
PH Milan 2/2!! (Excellent GM - staff completely on top of GOH).
PH Vienna - not so hot. Contacted GM before hand, so upgrade was confirmed. Welcome amenity and free breakfast were not mentioned, when I called the front desk, they had no idea what I was talking about. Had to get GP desk to intervene.
Why would an upgrade be confirmed in advance for GOH if this isn't the case for Diamond members?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All

As many of you know me or don't....... like me or don't I can be pretty hard on Hyatt/Gold Passport and select hotels.
I hold Hyatt and its program to a high bar and supported them long before the good Inside Flyer folks asked me to hop on board as one of a group of Hyatt Ambassadors here
some years ago and gave me their seal of approval for my participation here.

Hyatt reached out to me about the Guest of Honor Program recently and I put some focal points and suggestions together and submitted it
so all parties could hopefully mutually benefit as the program eventually matures like fine wine over time.

Mentioned I was going to recommend to our forum that all "Guest of Honor" reservations be followed up directly with the hotel (not their suggestion mine)
This could be a Front Desk manager, Front Office manager or Reservations manager, VIP coordinator or Rooms Executive
I don't suggest calling contacting the GM of hotels in advance of arrival on "Guest Of Honor" reservations as some others have stated
and partially failed with their GOH request.
While that might work on one level or another at select times I believe it could just as easily backfire
Its the operation folks and VIP coordinators at any given hotel are the ones that organize and prioritize that make this all happen.

One of the biggest mistakes new and seasoned travelers make I'd argue is contacting the GM of a hotel prior to arrival.
This is the first time I have ever publically stated this but its really high time to share and debate an old myth of calling the GM for good reservation and upgrade results.
Yes I know some will shake their head in disbelief here.In fact I would demonstrate after thousands of room nights my enormous success
in my upgrade ratio across all brands with typically exceptional treatment and recognition came from avoiding any contact with GMs
I rarely ever contact a GM unless there is an actual problem on property that isn't reasonably being solved by the team or to say some kind words of praise
Its not that calling a GM can't work in the right situation when a personal business relationship has already been previously established
its simply not the best way after decades of travel to get the mission accomplished above and beyond in my own experience just by being an elite member and expecting a perfect world.

"Guest of Honor" is still a very new program and barely had 3 or 4 months out there in the hotels
Even after years of dining without stays to earn points its only first gaining traction with greater consistency that hotels know how to post to member's accounts
after restaurant visits without following up
I realize that this may not be the ideal situation at present with "Guest of Honor" being pro active however this is a fantastic gift giving opportunity
to bring great pleasure to loved ones and friends and give them a taste of Hyatt as we all know it
Yes the training and support in advance isn't as good as it should have been but the Gold Passport folks in Omaha are standing by to assist anyone
regardless if one choose to call the hotel in advance or not.
Imagine if you could gift your friends and family worth your airline elite status on an economy airline ticket with first class check in and free baggage and complimentary seat assignment with elite boarding.That's essentially what we have here with Guest of Honor.

This is truly one of the more exciting developments in Gold Passport history

Lets try to support Hyatt 100% of the way giving them the benefit of the doubt on this outstanding program feature even with the bumps in the road that may exist at present
Sometimes even seasoned Diamonds run into snafus at check in without being offered an amenity, points or other benefit
The good Hyatt folks wouldn't be reaching out to us and monitoring this thread if they didn't want to make the GOH experience more consistent and reliable at the end of the day
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 22, 2015 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
Good post 777.

I agree that the potential benefits of this perk outweigh the teething problems. I've not tried to use GOH yet as I could foresee certain pitfalls.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by catsassy
Good post 777.

I agree that the potential benefits of this perk outweigh the teething problems. I've not tried to use GOH yet as I could foresee certain pitfalls.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.
Appreciate the kind words and show of support for the program
I think you will be delighted when you do find opportunity to gift others
Feel free to contact me personally to make sure it goes smoothly if you do book.Or of course Hyatt in Omaha is on our side to make sure it goes reasonably well
Its fantastic to know our family and friends will be well looked after
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
The post is solid and I dont disagree, but frankly that does not help the embarassment that myself and others have already dealt with.

If this is such a huge GRAND program, the communications should be better and should have been ironed out beforehand. I feel a bit taken advantage of by the program myself and find the lack of acknowledgement of the growing pains a bit frustrating.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:10 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
This is where I would be.... I would be so embarrassed if I told someone they could expect Diamond treatment to only find they are challenged and told that no such program exists.

This should really bother Hyatt as I assume one reason to do this "gifting" is to show potential new customers what a Hyatt experience would look like if they were to become ongoing guests.

The fact that so many properties seem to have no idea about this program is a total fail on the part of Hyatt corporate. Can you imagine how many more people have had the embarrassing experiences that we have seen detailed here?

It is nice to "reward" the member for the service failure... but Hyatt needs to do something for those guests who were embarrassed.... or had to beg for their benefits. Perhaps a gift for a night away or something?

This is a great program... that has great potential.... but I have to say I would have no confidence that my "family or friends would be taken care of" by the individual properties.

Originally Posted by TheTourVan
The post is solid and I dont disagree, but frankly that does not help the embarassment that myself and others have already dealt with.

If this is such a huge GRAND program, the communications should be better and should have been ironed out beforehand. I feel a bit taken advantage of by the program myself and find the lack of acknowledgement of the growing pains a bit frustrating.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
This is where I would be.... I would be so embarrassed if I told someone they could expect Diamond treatment to only find they are challenged and told that no such program exists.

This should really bother Hyatt as I assume one reason to do this "gifting" is to show potential new customers what a Hyatt experience would look like if they were to become ongoing guests.

The fact that so many properties seem to have no idea about this program is a total fail on the part of Hyatt corporate. Can you imagine how many more people have had the embarrassing experiences that we have seen detailed here?

It is nice to "reward" the member for the service failure... but Hyatt needs to do something for those guests who were embarrassed.... or had to beg for their benefits. Perhaps a gift for a night away or something?

This is a great program... that has great potential.... but I have to say I would have no confidence that my "family or friends would be taken care of" by the individual properties.

Hit the nail on the head. The idea that as a loyal consumer I need to embrace it and be patient is borderline laughable. I took them on their word about this "new great program" and ruined an anniversary and was told by the GM I would get half my points back.

Didnt ask for that, and frankly find that unacceptable, but it is what it is and I will speak by moving my business most likely more than begging for something in return.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:12 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Here's a simple solution. Every time you make a GOH reservation for someone, ask them to print out and bring the official press release from Hyatt's own site. This seems like such an effortless way to avert any potential problems.

http://newsroom.hyatt.com/021215-Hya...yalty-Benefits
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Here's a simple solution. Every time you make a GOH reservation for someone, ask them to print out and bring the official press release from Hyatt's own site. This seems like such an effortless way to avert any potential problems.

Great suggestion Thank You ^
I'd still in addition like to remind folks simply to call and have their reservation noted in advance
That combined with the print out at least prevents any real issue until most of the hotels and training have caught up over time
problem solved at least temporarily
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder

And while true, who knew someone would have to.
A company rolls out a big huge part of Diamond and those loyal travelers that are Diamond assume that means its in place.

They call to make hte GOH reservation and are told its in place. They tell their guests everything that is going to happen and then it all blows up.

While growing pains can happen, not having a hotel have any idea what is going on and then furthermore, not make it right during the duration of a stay despite me calling and giving them my number again and explaining it is unfathomable.

Im all for them making it better, but it should not be at the expense at those that already took them at their word that they deployed this new feature.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TheTourVan

Im all for them making it better, but it should not be at the expense at those that already took them at their word that they deployed this new feature.

There's no question about what it should be. The suggestions are about how to make it work.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
There's no question about what it should be. The suggestions are about how to make it work.

Thank You ^ well said

If I got up and left every time a program feature or benefit went awry
I'd have no one left to do business with
Recently I was one of many who was targeted for a GP promotion with the bonus points for nights
Marketing was wise to create the promotion but decided to email me a day after the promotion started or because I complained after be turned down by GP
Ok that wasn't the end of the world
What got me really displeased was the Diamond line saying I wasn't able to participate as my account wasn't marked/coded and they never heard of the promotion (sigh)
I stated I see there is clearly a promotion and according to "View from a Wing" one of my favorite travel blogs its stated its already started for many!
I linked through Gary's Gold Passport link to sign up for GP promotions and enrolled in seconds
Thank You Mr.Leff ^
Having said that do I really want a third party to notify me of promotions instead of the very company who is main travel partner?Absolutely not

I wont participate as much as I have in the past as other travel providers
were more timely with their advance promotional notice and I had time to prepare and book elsewhere
I let Hyatt know clearly they needed to improve and then decided what reservations I would shuffle around to make at least the first tier
I can complain all I want and get plenty of apologies but as in all such situations salvage what you can and make it work the best you can!

I'm far more concerned with my recognition and overall stay experience and with "Guest of Honor" how my gifted guest is treated even with a little bit of extra legwork.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:27 am
Company Representative - Gold Passport by Hyatt

Hello FlyerTalkers,

I just wanted to chime in briefly here. There's absolutely no excuse for the mistakes that have occurred with Guest of Honor. Obviously, we have some work to do, and we are doubling our efforts to get this right. I still firmly believe in the spirt of what we are trying to accomplish, and we need to "up our game" on the execution.

We appreciate the feedback, and I can assure you that getting this to work without fail is a top priority.

I wish you safe travels.

All my best,

Jeff
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:21 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport
Hello FlyerTalkers,

I just wanted to chime in briefly here. There's absolutely no excuse for the mistakes that have occurred with Guest of Honor. Obviously, we have some work to do, and we are doubling our efforts to get this right. I still firmly believe in the spirt of what we are trying to accomplish, and we need to "up our game" on the execution.

We appreciate the feedback, and I can assure you that getting this to work without fail is a top priority.

I wish you safe travels.

All my best,

Jeff
Thank you for chiming in. This is a great benefit when implemented properly. It's a training and communication issue. Many front desk agents probably are still unaware of the program since they have not run across it yet. I mean at many properties, Diamond guests probably average a handful a night and the GOH guests, awards given by Diamonds are even less. Don't forget that the program is only a few months old. I think the suggestions given, contact the property in advance, by the Diamond member - some manager but not the GM - my pet peeve are people who contact the GM for every little request (begging for upgrades) that would need to be forwarded down the line anyways, print out the confirmation and the T&Cs of the GOH program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.