Problems with Guest of Honor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

Thank You ^ well said

If I got up and left every time a program feature or benefit went awry
I'd have no one left to do business with
Recently I was one of many who was targeted for a GP promotion with the bonus points for nights
Marketing was wise to create the promotion but decided to email me a day after the promotion started or because I complained after be turned down by GP
Ok that wasn't the end of the world
What got me really displeased was the Diamond line saying I wasn't able to participate as my account wasn't marked/coded and they never heard of the promotion (sigh)
I stated I see there is clearly a promotion and according to "View from a Wing" one of my favorite travel blogs its stated its already started for many!
I linked through Gary's Gold Passport link to sign up for GP promotions and enrolled in seconds
Thank You Mr.Leff ^
Having said that do I really want a third party to notify me of promotions instead of the very company who is main travel partner?Absolutely not

I wont participate as much as I have in the past as other travel providers
were more timely with their advance promotional notice and I had time to prepare and book elsewhere
I let Hyatt know clearly they needed to improve and then decided what reservations I would shuffle around to make at least the first tier
I can complain all I want and get plenty of apologies but as in all such situations salvage what you can and make it work the best you can!

I'm far more concerned with my recognition and overall stay experience and with "Guest of Honor" how my gifted guest is treated even with a little bit of extra legwork.
So you're saying that if I only want news/advise on hyatt promos etc, I should be reading View From the Wing rather than FlyerTalker. I have neither time nor inclination to monitor both.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:26 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by peteropny
Thank you for chiming in. This is a great benefit when implemented properly. It's a training and communication issue. Many front desk agents probably are still unaware of the program since they have not run across it yet. I mean at many properties, Diamond guests probably average a handful a night and the GOH guests, awards given by Diamonds are even less. Don't forget that the program is only a few months old. I think the suggestions given, contact the property in advance, by the Diamond member - some manager but not the GM - my pet peeve are people who contact the GM for every little request (begging for upgrades) that would need to be forwarded down the line anyways, print out the confirmation and the T&Cs of the GOH program.
Great post and couldn't agree more^
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
My wife and son will be staying at the Arlington, VA Hyatt later this week using Guest of Honor. I've contacted the hotel ahead of time and am assured that they will be getting breakfast coupons and that they fully understand that Guest of Honor Program. They've also already been upgraded to a room on a high floor with a view.

So, being proactive can certainly help especially with a new program.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dionnec123
My wife and son will be staying at the Arlington, VA Hyatt later this week using Guest of Honor. I've contacted the hotel ahead of time and am assured that they will be getting breakfast coupons and that they fully understand that Guest of Honor Program. They've also already been upgraded to a room on a high floor with a view.

So, being proactive can certainly help especially with a new program.

Well done ^

Hope your family members have a great stay
I'm happy to be pro-active myself to insure a seamless experience
The more we use and enjoy the new benefit the quicker we insure our outcomes and educate the hotels or reinforce what they already know hopefully in that perfect world
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
While I appreciate that there are some super fans in here, urging and clapping with every suggestion (and I think that is great), perhaps a separate thread is in order. Since all issues are getting grouped into this thread (the problems thread), it might be better to keep suggestions for fixing out of here.

While I appreciate Hyatt coming on and saying it was a top priority, that still does not fix the issues for the people that were treated poorly and had the program fail on them without question. Instead of burying those problems behind Rah Rah lets fix it posts. While those have a place, perhaps its best for a separate entity rather than the problems thread.

This way those that want to help Hyatt achieve their goals can do so with suggestions and those that are having major issues with the handling of GOH can have a place to discuss as well.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt DM, SPG Platinum, CX DM, AA EXP
As much as I have griped about the program, I think the biggest issue is that it's really hard for the front desk to realize that the reservation is a GOH program.

As far as I know, GOH remarks are located in the preferences section of the reservation. When it comes down to upgrading and checking in, unless the front desk knew exactly where to look (and to be honest, I've made a ton of these and even I have trouble finding it in the reservation emails), they simply overlook the notation.

I'm sure we'd love the world to revolve around the Diamond members, but I don't expect front desk agents to catch these details every time. I think 777 puts it best as to how to make this new program work. Who knows - Hyatt may not even continue this program past 12/30, so there's no reason to make an IT upgrade.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bitsofwonder
I'm sure we'd love the world to revolve around the Diamond members, but I don't expect front desk agents to catch these details every time. I think 777 puts it best as to how to make this new program work. Who knows - Hyatt may not even continue this program past 12/30, so there's no reason to make an IT upgrade.
The bigger macro issue this exposes is not that HGP didn't communicate properly to the properties, but that HGP policy changes are apparently one-sided edicts delivered from the ivory towers of Chicago, with no input from the "boots on the ground"

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these Guest of Honor service denials were not the result of ignorance, but acts of disgruntled civil disobedience.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by bitsofwonder
As much as I have griped about the program, I think the biggest issue is that it's really hard for the front desk to realize that the reservation is a GOH program.

As far as I know, GOH remarks are located in the preferences section of the reservation. When it comes down to upgrading and checking in, unless the front desk knew exactly where to look (and to be honest, I've made a ton of these and even I have trouble finding it in the reservation emails), they simply overlook the notation.

Thank You for the kind words as well as the thought process/feedback
Perhaps you bring up a great point/suggestion how the agents see/view the reservation
I know I am beating the drums to hopefully cheer lead this as a permanent part of the Gold Passport program
Just as dining without stays or any other program opportunity
I now see my points as more versatile and valuable than other programs if my guest is being taken care of on the occasion that I gift my points

Lets hope Guest of Honor doesn't go the way of the iconic former G bonus and the more recent Member elite Rate
Loss of Member Elite Rate has me in a number of non Hyatt reservations elsewhere this year where the competition was considerably lower with other available promotional rates.
Though my new Citi card prestige benefit is really sweet on stays of 4 nights too ^
Chase has now lost 90% of my business as a result of the new Citibank credit cards
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
My significant other just returned from a Guest of Honor stay at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place in Chicago. She went for a girls weekend to see the Taylor Swift concert at Soldier Field.

She checked in early Saturday morning and I woke up to picture messages of an amazing looking suite that she had been upgraded into. They were on the top floor in the Lakeshore Suite for 2 nights. Great views of Soldier Field and downtown Chicago.

The only issue is there seemed to be some confusion around the Diamond amenity. She checked with the front desk and they weren't aware of any amenity to be offered. Other than that, she was able to check-in early, had a great suite upgrade, and breakfast was handled appropriately.

Loved the opportunity to use this benefit!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nehawk
My significant other just returned from a Guest of Honor stay at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place in Chicago. She went for a girls weekend to see the Taylor Swift concert at Soldier Field.

She checked in early Saturday morning and I woke up to picture messages of an amazing looking suite that she had been upgraded into. They were on the top floor in the Lakeshore Suite for 2 nights. Great views of Soldier Field and downtown Chicago.

The only issue is there seemed to be some confusion around the Diamond amenity. She checked with the front desk and they weren't aware of any amenity to be offered. Other than that, she was able to check-in early, had a great suite upgrade, and breakfast was handled appropriately.

Loved the opportunity to use this benefit!
Great to hear ^
This hotel is exceptionally Diamond friendly and exceeds Gold Passport expectations rather than trying to meet basic expectation
Its a role model Hyatt
See the the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place thread to read about a number of highly satisfied guests
The rooms exec there is at the top of his game looking after the Gold Passport members ^:-::-::-::-::-:
Cheers
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My nephew and his wife, newly married this weekend, just checked into the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay and I have to say they're just astounded with the accommodations and couldn't be more happier. I've never stayed here but they've told me they're not in the main building, but somewhere separate, and have both a pool and ocean view. Regency Club access was covered so no issues getting in there. Not sure about Diamond amenity- he said something was mentioned about sending a bottle of champagne and he'll follow up on that later. I'm just happy it stopped raining for their arrival. He reports blue skies.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Based on our 2 experience at HR SFO:

The first reservation, because we were staying at the property in addition to the guest (2 rooms booked), somehow they added a 3rd reservation and changed all reservations to the guest's name. Very strange.

For second reservation later in the same weekend, either the Diamond Desk or the hotel VIP coordinator did not update the reservation correctly, and the FD check-in person had no clue about the GOH program. Had to call GP to resolve the issue.

Perhaps it's as much as a system issue as training? If the system is displaying the coding correctly, the associates could act properly based on the information presented.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I believe I was one of the very first users of Guest of Honor and it was a complete, unmitigated disaster. With no compensation or even an apology.

Since I appear to be a glutton for punishment, I am trying again in Hyatt's own hometown. While I don't dispute the advice above to call ahead, make arrangements, etc. on some level this program needs to acknowledge that they are dealing with business executives who don't deal with, nor have time for, this kind of aggravation.

I see my name on occupancy lists on the time, listed as DIAM. So code the Guest of Honor reservations as GOHR or whatever, and treat them as DIAM. How freaking hard is it?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Only a little over four months until Guest of Honor is scheduled to expire. It would be nice to know if Hyatt has plans on renewing it for 2016, or letting it go the way of My Elite Rate.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Only a little over four months until Guest of Honor is scheduled to expire. It would be nice to know if Hyatt has plans on renewing it for 2016, or letting it go the way of My Elite Rate.
This is one program that should be allowed to die. There have been so many of complaints about failure to execute properly, and I have no doubt that there has been a lot of abuse, with people blatantly selling a stay with Diamond benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.