Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Guest of Honor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG P, HH G, MR G, IHG P, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by exmike
hmm hope this doesn't happen to my sister's upcoming stay I booked for her in seattle. Can people post positive experiences?
Yes, I have used it in China at a GH and no problem. It might be good to reach out to the FOM or someone in authority to make them aware...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by martinplas
Worked like charm for my family at HR Waikaki
The staff at the HR Waikiki had a training session about the program. I was told by a few of the managers that they were explained all the rules and how to deal with them versus regular diamonds.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Obviously, there is an opportunity to do better, and we will continue our on-going training and education to ensure that these issues are properly addressed.
Good to know you're trying to stay on top of this. I have a nephew booked at San Diego Mission Bay in July as a wedding gift. I'm sure my concierge set up everything properly in the system and I hope he and his new bride have an outstanding time at this property as Guests of Honor. This just seemed like the perfect wedding present for him and he was very happy when I made the offer and explained his perks.

Tom at the Grand Hyatt in Berlin tonight
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:04 pm

A phone reservation rep at the GH Singapore didn't know what the benefit was about but wasn't dismissive. She said she would ask her colleagues at the Gold Passport desk. Best ask to be transferred there if they don't do so proactively. Someone on site must know. I haven't had experience doing this through the Diamond line though and seeing if anything turns up on the reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My July reservation for my nephew does indicate this in the room preference field:

Preferences: GUEST OF HONOR, CONFIRMED NON-SMOKING RM
Your preferences have been submitted and are subject to hotel availability.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
What happens if you make a "Guest of honor" reservation for Mar 2016 and don't make diamond again?
Old May 4, 2015, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by texdoc
What happens if you make a "Guest of honor" reservation for Mar 2016 and don't make diamond again?
Historically status at the time of booking has been honored even when people no longer have the status at the time of check in. It could change if the reservation is ammended after one looses Diamond status. There are also reports of properties verifying status at the time of check in, so probably YMMV.

Your best bet is to make the booking and cross your fingers. Avoid changing the reservation or otherwise bringing the change in status to anyone's attention.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:03 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Historically status at the time of booking has been honored even when people no longer have the status at the time of check in. It could change if the reservation is ammended after one looses Diamond status. There are also reports of properties verifying status at the time of check in, so probably YMMV.

Your best bet is to make the booking and cross your fingers. Avoid changing the reservation or otherwise bringing the change in status to anyone's attention.
In my experience the status is now updated a couple of days before the stay.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by peter42
In my experience the status is now updated a couple of days before the stay.
I guess that is now standard accross all hotels.

I wonder if this affects GOH bookings. Since these are in another member's name, perhaps it would still be possible to fly under the radar and get the benefits even after the "sponsor" account has lost Diamond status.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Front desk computers at Hyatt properties show both the status when you booked the reservation AND the current status when you check in. Most of them will NOT provide you with your old status benefits, but of course, YMMV.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Front desk computers at Hyatt properties show both the status when you booked the reservation AND the current status when you check in. Most of them will NOT provide you with your old status benefits, but of course, YMMV.
That is what I figured, but since it is a 2nd hand booking for someone else, I thought it might still carry the original status.

Hopefully on track to make diamond again next year.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt DM, SPG Platinum, CX DM, AA EXP
I'm 0/3 in Paris (Madeline,Regency, du Louvre). Fortunately, the GP desk on FT is super responsive and generally really good at getting a hold of the hotel - the biggest gap is the quality of the hotel room. I assume Diamonds generally get the best of category rooms. Because you aren't treated as Diamond before rooms are assigned, you may end up with a disappointing room.

Best to reach out to the GM directly before stay commences if you really care.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear FlyerTalkers,

Our sincere apologies that the Guest of Honor experience has not been consistently delivered. Obviously, there is an opportunity to do better, and we will continue our on-going training and education to ensure that these issues are properly addressed. As always we appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
I too had a similar issue but once I got a front office manager on the phone
he immediately took my guests to the club floor and made things right
I applaud the good folks at Hyatt for rolling out such a fantastic program to share with family& friends^
I can say for certain that my guests are deeply impressed by experiencing Hyatt in grand style
Some are already choosing Hyatt for the first time when they
make their own travel plans
My suggestion to Diamonds it doesn't hurt to call the hotels front desk
prior to your guests arrival to avoid any mishaps
Lets give Hyatt a break at least for year one until most hotels are familiar with this exceptional program
Hope it will long be continued
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by texdoc
That's easy: you can't! The program only lasts until December 30th.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Just used the Guest of Honor Program for my parents anniversary at Hyatt Regency Siesta Key. Borderline disaster. I made the points reservation and confirmed with the Diamond Hotline about the perks. They were a bit confused, but took care of it, and even called the hotel.

Check in was done through the Diamond line and then low and behold, no benefits. My father called and says "are we supposed to get breakfast or anything"? I explain to him yes and he has to go back to the lobby and they have to call me, get my Diamond number and then proceed to ask about points vs amenity (I told them originally I wanted them to have the amenity), etc.

Breakfast was a disaster as the hotel could not figure out why they were there and I was not and they were supposed to get free breakfast. I said just pay for it.

THe entire stay was helpless, so much so that instead of extending the stay there, they checked into the Ritz Carlton down the street for the next 2 nights.

This is beginning to sound like a trend and one that is full of "we can do better as we improve" on a program that does not change a whole lot of what was already offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.