Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, *G, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, SkyTeam ElitePlus, GHA Titanium
Spent three nights here earlier last month as an Explorist. The 2nd night of my stay I qualified as a first time Globalist but obviously my account would not reflect this until after checkout. I did mention this beforehand via email.

The pros:
  • Fantastic location. Connected underground to the Bugis MRT station, which is in turn connected to shopping malls like Bugis Junction. Marina Bay Sands is just a couple stops away on the MRT. This is probably the greatest part of the hotel.
  • Beautifully designed public spaces (by Andre Fu). Not just the lobby, the rooftop bar, the restaurants, but even the hallways with the atrium... I loved the design!
  • Stunning rooftop bar
  • Nice toiletries specifically made for the Andaz Singapore by a high end perfumer (can't remember the name...)
  • Complimentary refreshments (very light snacks and drinks such as tea and coffee) at the Sunroom off the lobby lounge
The cons:
  • Being lied to. At check-in, I overheard the couple next to me asking for a Deluxe Sea View room. The receptionist checked and saw nothing available, which was also reflected in the WoH app (a huge wedding took place that weekend). She apologized to the couple. I thought, maybe after the weekend (my stay was Sunday - Wednesday) is over I could score one of the Deluxe rooms as an Explorist. On Sunday, I checked the WoH app and sure enough there were Sea View rooms available. From prior research I knew the hotel is a little stingy with upgrades, but tried my luck anyway. The man at the desk (staff here don't wear nametags so I never got his name... I wish I did though) informed me that I have been upgraded once already. I said I understand, but I was under the assumption that I was eligible to receive the best possible room (excluding suites) available. The man then said he has already done me a favor by upgrading me two categories. (Did you catch that? He said one before.) I asked him how because all we got was a different view (an undesirable one too- I don't recommend Heritage View rooms at all). He said no the Heritage View room is a double upgrade. Looking at the property website, the Heritage View is one category above the base King Bed room. I said I don't think so but he assured me and gaslit me into thinking that maybe I was wrong. I left and while walking to get a snack I checked my app and found I had been lied to. Unfortunately he was no longer at the desk and I never saw him again... This left an extremely sour taste in my mouth with the property in general. The service was already terribly mediocre but being lied to is just a whole nother level...
  • In general, staff are a little cold and uncaring. I know Singapore isn't exactly known for their service culture but I've stayed in almost every luxury hotel in Singapore and found service to be far better than what I received at Andaz. No proactive service at all. The exceptions are the staff at the dining outlets of the hotel who are relatively fantastic compared to those working in the reception area.
  • Windows have dots on them, presumably to act as a "shade" preventing the room from getting too hot and subsequently the AC from working overtime. I didn't mind it too much since our room had such a boring view.
  • Not too big of a problem for me, but it did get annoying having to switch elevators from the lobby to get to the ground floor and vice versa.
All in all, I enjoyed my stay here. I loved the location and the overall light vibe of the hotel. It is crowded, exasperated maybe because it's the only true Hyatt property in Singapore right now. I won't be returning though, because of the interaction I had with that front desk agent. I'll be looking forward to the return of the Grand Hyatt, though...
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Seikkyou
On Sunday, I checked the WoH app and sure enough there were Sea View rooms available. From prior research I knew the hotel is a little stingy with upgrades, but tried my luck anyway. The man at the desk (staff here don't wear nametags so I never got his name... I wish I did though) informed me that I have been upgraded once already. I said I understand, but I was under the assumption that I was eligible to receive the best possible room (excluding suites) available.
It's best available room at check-in. Property has no obligation to upgrade mid-stay. (Many will nonetheless do it, but it is not an obligation and I'd not expect rules deviations in Singapore.)
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Being lied to. At check-in, I overheard the couple next to me asking for a Deluxe Sea View room. The receptionist checked and saw nothing available, which was also reflected in the WoH app (a huge wedding took place that weekend). She apologized to the couple. I thought, maybe after the weekend (my stay was Sunday - Wednesday) is over I could score one of the Deluxe rooms as an Explorist. On Sunday, I checked the WoH app and sure enough there were Sea View rooms available. From prior research I knew the hotel is a little stingy with upgrades, but tried my luck anyway. The man at the desk (staff here don't wear nametags so I never got his name... I wish I did though) informed me that I have been upgraded once already. I said I understand, but I was under the assumption that I was eligible to receive the best possible room (excluding suites) available. The man then said he has already done me a favor by upgrading me two categories. (Did you catch that? He said one before.) I asked him how because all we got was a different view (an undesirable one too- I don't recommend Heritage View rooms at all). He said no the Heritage View room is a double upgrade. Looking at the property website, the Heritage View is one category above the base King Bed room. I said I don't think so but he assured me and gaslit me into thinking that maybe I was wrong. I left and while walking to get a snack I checked my app and found I had been lied to. Unfortunately he was no longer at the desk and I never saw him again... This left an extremely sour taste in my mouth with the property in general. The service was already terribly mediocre but being lied to is just a whole nother level...
Seriously? This is the hill you're going to die on? It's not like a harbour view versus a pool view at the GH Hong Kong, People don't stay here for the "views", "sea view" isn't really anything to write home about. And it's not like you were promised anything, nothing relevant was available when you checked in, as you mentioned. Personally, I couldn't be bothered to move mid-stay if I was offered the opportunity, unless, maybe, it were a nice suite.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, *G, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, SkyTeam ElitePlus, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's best available room at check-in. Property has no obligation to upgrade mid-stay. (Many will nonetheless do it, but it is not an obligation and I'd not expect rules deviations in Singapore.)
Originally Posted by Pickles
Seriously? This is the hill you're going to die on? It's not like a harbour view versus a pool view at the GH Hong Kong, People don't stay here for the "views", "sea view" isn't really anything to write home about. And it's not like you were promised anything, nothing relevant was available when you checked in, as you mentioned. Personally, I couldn't be bothered to move mid-stay if I was offered the opportunity, unless, maybe, it were a nice suite.
I personally wanted the sea view. Like both of you mentioned, the hotel was not obliged to give me the upgrade mid-stay. I have no problem with that. If the the man simply said sorry but we only upgrade at check-in, or literally any other way of saying no (without lying) I would have been perfectly fine with that. However, I don't enjoy being lied to in such a condescending way.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I personally wanted the sea view. Like both of you mentioned, the hotel was not obliged to give me the upgrade mid-stay. I have no problem with that. If the the man simply said sorry but we only upgrade at check-in, or literally any other way of saying no (without lying) I would have been perfectly fine with that. However, I don't enjoy being lied to in such a condescending way.
There's no way I could even count the number of times I've been lied to by front desk staff (and managers) about upgraded room availability or whether I've received a 1, 2, or 50 category upgrade. If you stay in hotels a lot, it goes with the territory. Not to be taken personally (sometimes easier said than done, I'll admit) - they just find it easier to lie than to say "sorry, we don't really see the need to give you a further upgrade."
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:15 pm

There's no way I could even count the number of times I've been lied to by front desk staff (and managers) about upgraded room availability or whether I've received a 1, 2, or 50 category upgrade. If you stay in hotels a lot, it goes with the territory. Not to be taken personally (sometimes easier said than done, I'll admit) - they just find it easier to lie than to say "sorry, we don't really see the need to give you a further upgrade."
100%. This wasn't the first time I have been lied to either my staff at a hotel. I practically live out of a suitcase but only just committed to a loyalty program (Hyatt) and am exploring the perks of being a top tier elite member for the first time in my life. I think something about this occasion just really rubbed me the wrong way with the way the front desk agent spoke to me. It was very condescending. Well, leave it at that, I just wanted to share my experience including the negatives. I did still enjoy my stay overall. Gorgeous property and awesome area!
Old Aug 3, 2023, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
100%. This wasn't the first time I have been lied to either my staff at a hotel. I practically live out of a suitcase but only just committed to a loyalty program (Hyatt) and am exploring the perks of being a top tier elite member for the first time in my life. I think something about this occasion just really rubbed me the wrong way with the way the front desk agent spoke to me. It was very condescending. Well, leave it at that, I just wanted to share my experience including the negatives. I did still enjoy my stay overall. Gorgeous property and awesome area!
Fair enough. I have stayed there a number of times, and I like the hotel. Good location, nice rooms (especially if you get upgraded, some great suites there), pretty good breakfast, like the pool, big fan of the toiletries (which even in these days of shower dispensers as a Globulist they give me a nice set of them to take home).

Service is hit or miss, but that's Singapore for you. I haven't found (anywhere in Singapore) the kind of snappy, authentic service you find in other places in Asia. It's either incompetent, diffident, arrogant, or a combination of all of them. For example, I find the Andaz tends towards a mixture of diffident and blase, but relatively well meaning, with a dash of incompetence thrown in (but no arrogance like you experienced). At the other extreme, you have the Raffles (which I love as a hotel), where it's a mixture of arrogance, pride, and servility, but very competent (if you're staying there. If you're not, all you'll get is the arrogance).
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Fair enough. I have stayed there a number of times, and I like the hotel. Good location, nice rooms (especially if you get upgraded, some great suites there), pretty good breakfast, like the pool, big fan of the toiletries (which even in these days of shower dispensers as a Globulist they give me a nice set of them to take home).

Service is hit or miss, but that's Singapore for you. I haven't found (anywhere in Singapore) the kind of snappy, authentic service you find in other places in Asia. It's either incompetent, diffident, arrogant, or a combination of all of them. For example, I find the Andaz tends towards a mixture of diffident and blase, but relatively well meaning, with a dash of incompetence thrown in (but no arrogance like you experienced). At the other extreme, you have the Raffles (which I love as a hotel), where it's a mixture of arrogance, pride, and servility, but very competent (if you're staying there. If you're not, all you'll get is the arrogance).
I was a big fan of their toiletries too. I don't recall ever seeing a custom scent designed for a hotel before. Very nice of the hotel to give you a set.

Definitely agree with you on the Singapore being an outlier when it comes to service standards in Asia. The best service I've experienced in Singapore is at the Capella. Even brands known for their service culture such as the Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons let me down with their Singapore locations. The only noteworthy hotels in Singapore I haven't stayed at yet are the Ritz-Carlton, Fullerton Bay, and the Raffles. I have high expectations for the Raffles (especially at the price point...)

I agree with your assessment of the service at Andaz. I was impressed with the service in the restaurant during my few times dining there over course of my stay though. It was night and day, with the waiters being so engaging and genuine with me and my girlfriend. An example of their hospitality: During a crowded lunch service, I was sat underneath an AC vent. I hate sitting under those, so after asking if there were any free tables a little away from the AC vents, the waiter moved us to an adjacent room. He then dragged another table to accommodate the large pizza plate that we had ordered. I hadn't even asked him to do that. He could've just said "no." This kind of proactive and genuine service was not found anywhere else in that hotel, at least for me.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was a big fan of their toiletries too. I don't recall ever seeing a custom scent designed for a hotel before. Very nice of the hotel to give you a set.

Definitely agree with you on the Singapore being an outlier when it comes to service standards in Asia. The best service I've experienced in Singapore is at the Capella. Even brands known for their service culture such as the Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons let me down with their Singapore locations. The only noteworthy hotels in Singapore I haven't stayed at yet are the Ritz-Carlton, Fullerton Bay, and the Raffles. I have high expectations for the Raffles (especially at the price point...)

I agree with your assessment of the service at Andaz. I was impressed with the service in the restaurant during my few times dining there over course of my stay though. It was night and day, with the waiters being so engaging and genuine with me and my girlfriend. An example of their hospitality: During a crowded lunch service, I was sat underneath an AC vent. I hate sitting under those, so after asking if there were any free tables a little away from the AC vents, the waiter moved us to an adjacent room. He then dragged another table to accommodate the large pizza plate that we had ordered. I hadn't even asked him to do that. He could've just said "no." This kind of proactive and genuine service was not found anywhere else in that hotel, at least for me.
I don't want to take this OT, but IMHO from staying there (One Bedroom Garden Villa) the Capella has great hardware, but is probably the most overhyped place in all of Singapore for service and even the F&B was far from "earth shattering". At a property of that level (and price) the incompetence and indifference of staff members at front desk, restaurant and even including (lower) management was staggering and quite shocking. The Raffles in comparison (while a bit formal / stiff maybe) was way more competent and polished and cost us half the rates of the Capella. Anyways, glad you enjoyed it.

As to Andaz Singapore, from visiting friends staying there and using F&B outlets and such, I found the staff to be usually trying, but at times not so well trained, a bit aloof, lacking knowledge (e.g. about dishes / drinks etc.). Majority of service staff is from other SE Asian countries so overall it can really be luck of the draw who you interact with.

Last edited by demue; Aug 3, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Andaz Seoul also has their own Le Bottega signature scent from Christophe Ladamel.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:43 pm

Is the Sunroom still open here for takeaway refreshments?

Trying to decide between here and the JW South Beach. Both are in the same location, but leaning towards the JW for its executive lounge. Am Globalist/Titanium.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Is the Sunroom still open here for takeaway refreshments?

Trying to decide between here and the JW South Beach. Both are in the same location, but leaning towards the JW for its executive lounge. Am Globalist/Titanium.
Yes, the sunroom has coffee, tea, biscuits/nibbles.

Assuming price is comparable, I'd much prefer the JW. Better location, better pool, executive lounge, unobstructed views of MBS, nicer rooms. Andaz is more convenient for business stays due to MRT access and the shops/restaurants in the same building.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rucksack
Yes, the sunroom has coffee, tea, biscuits/nibbles.

Assuming price is comparable, I'd much prefer the JW. Better location, better pool, executive lounge, unobstructed views of MBS, nicer rooms. Andaz is more convenient for business stays due to MRT access and the shops/restaurants in the same building.
Thank you for the input!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:51 am

To each their own. I didn't like JW at all, especially not the freezing pool, the lack of a real lobby, and the bad wifi. JW and Andaz are only two blocks apart, and Andaz has more direct MRT access and the immediate area is more easily walkable. Not sure why JW location would be considered better.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:06 pm

To each their own. I didn't like JW at all, especially not the freezing pool, the lack of a real lobby, and the bad wifi. JW and Andaz are only two blocks apart, and Andaz has more direct MRT access and the immediate area is more easily walkable. Not sure why JW location would be considered better.
They're not vastly different locations, but they're about a kilometer away from each other. I just found the immediate area around the JW to be more interesting from a tourist perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.