Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Is this some kind of Glob benefit or is it for everyone? And is is one free drink each night or just a one-off?

I rather thought that the evening happy hour was common to all Andaz.
Stayed a few weeks back and received 4 drink certs (2 per person) and was told this was a Globalist benefit. They also explained that minibar alcohol is complimentary (except for hard liquor) in lieu of offering beer/wine in the evenings at the andaz lounge. The latter was a benefit offered to all guests.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by JAeX
Stayed a few weeks back and received 4 drink certs (2 per person) and was told this was a Globalist benefit. They also explained that minibar alcohol is complimentary (except for hard liquor) in lieu of offering beer/wine in the evenings at the andaz lounge. The latter was a benefit offered to all guests.
Thanks, that seems to make sense. Unfortunately, although I was a glob on our stay this year, on our upcoming long stay in Feb I will be just a explo, and we don't drink beer, which if I remember correctly is the only alcohol in the minibar other than the hard liquor. Maybe I'll try to negotiate something in lieu of the beer. A drink a day at Stork would be great.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason_stn21
we will be staying here soon mid trip. Can anyone recommend a wash/fold laundry service nearby?

We could drop and pickup but would need it back same day.
Did you find a place?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:46 pm

Still looking. Would appreciate any info.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jason_stn21
Still looking. Would appreciate any info.
I used an Easy Wash laundromat when staying there. It's probably a bit farther than most would want to walk with laundry (about ~10 minutes) and you have to wash your own clothes, but it would be a short taxi ride and soap is automatically dispensed in the wash. There are also a few shops and a food court nearby to pass time while your clothes are washing.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.easywash.sg/branches The one closest to the hotel is Easy Wash (Golden Mile, Beach Road)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a dry cleaning and wash/fold service called Laundry@Duo that I found online. Duo is the name of the tower the hotel is in, so it seems pretty easy. I'm going to try it out at the end of the month.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
There is a dry cleaning and wash/fold service called Laundry@Duo that I found online. Duo is the name of the tower the hotel is in, so it seems pretty easy. I'm going to try it out at the end of the month.
They handle the laundry for the Andaz, so I don't imagine they are too cheap, but certainly cheaper than going through the hotel, and since they are in Duo Galleria it would be quite convenient.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The laundry in Duo offers a discount for hotel guests, but doesn't offer a wash and fold by weight service, it's only by the piece and thus quite expensive.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:15 pm

Found a place looking online that seems to be somewhat close.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/laundry-day-singapore

Offering 3kg wash and fold in 3 hours for $12

Cant say for sure as I haven’t used them yet. Looks like a 10 minute drive or so from the Andaz.

Only option that I could find that was by the kg and quick turnaround.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
I have used laundry-day many times. It’s in-expensive and convenient. Drop off a soiled load in the AM then pick up all clean and neatly folded in late PM. They open on weekends too. It’s perfect!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked a king suite through Hyatt Privee and stayed 2.5 nights around Christmas. No upgrade available; the hotel was quite full, but the king suite was a great size and had wonderful views. I actually think I prefer its relative coziness to what I imagine the large suite would have been.

Checked in via the app with a projected arrival time of 4pm. Posted check-in time is 3pm. Arrived at 4:20pm and room is not ready. Discoverist status, so no benefits to speak of. Would have been nice if they prioritized preparing a room for a paid suite guest and elite member. But I'm told the good news is they'll be nice enough to hold our bags and we can come back "in an hour or two." No offer to text us when the room is ready or offer any other solution. I suggested that since we just arrived, perhaps we would have a drink or light snack (i.e. that they should pay for it). Agent had to call a manager on the phone, who declined. I pressed again and a second call to the manager was made, who offered a temporary room until the suite was available. I said in that case we will keep the downgraded room for the duration of the stay - of course at the significantly lower applicable room rate, as I was not interested in futzing around on a short stay with getting settled in one room and then changing to another. A third call to the manager and they agreed to that change.

I texted James, my Hyatt Privee TA about the saga, who then contacted the hotel. After some wrangling they offered to comp a dinner and switch me to a suite, at the original, higher rate. I agreed through James, though actually getting in touch with the management on site to find out the details of the dinner was more trouble than it should have been. Lot of fuss in order to avoid buying us a round of drinks at the lobby bar during the original check-in! Particularly when you consider that their temporary room offer means (a) free drinks in the minibar anyway, and (b) housekeeping has to clean the room again that night for another guest during a busy period for the hotel.

Overall the physical plant is great, but service is lacking. In addition to the issues above, part of the window shade in my room was obviously broken and never fixed during the stay, and there were layers of accumulated dust visible on some surfaces (ones that were apparent from normal viewing angles - I wasn't standing on a ladder or crawling under furniture). I also didn't care for the Andaz signature "casual" approach to the front desk setup, which mostly resulted in me and the other guests regularly being confused about where to wait and having to wait too long.

Free minibar (except hard liquor) is standard and has a good selection of drinks, but limited snacks (mini Pringles and a sugary granola bar). Hyatt Privee includes a S$130 dining credit and free daily breakfast, which was excellent.

Overall I would stay there again and pray that the service issues get worked out. I'm probably ruined for the regular rooms there after staying in the suite - I did spend some time in the temporary view king and it was just as nice in terms of finishings, but the corner suite with a wall of windows in the bathroom is hard to beat.

Connection to the MRT station with its two lines is great, and was pretty easy to find (follow signs to exits D/E and Duo). Late at night it was harder and I had to exit to the surface plaza below the elevated plaza where cars arrive. The escalators are closed at that hour and I couldn't find any markings to tell me how to get into the hotel - needed to ask a security guard (who acted like I was a total idiot, which maybe I am).

Last edited by Doppy; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:48 pm Reason: edited to add more commentary
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A lot of hoops they made you jump through as a Prive guest.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:16 pm

Service here lets down what is otherwise quite a compelling offering. Way too many staff ranging from inexperienced to indifferent. Breakfast service is particularly underwhelng, I found.

Stayed in both Studio Suites and the Andaz Suites - for the very small difference in rate, always go for the latter. Studio Suites have a strange layout where the entrance opens to the bedroom rather than to the living room, which feels very weird and limits its usefulness for having guests around.

If it’s just a short overnight stay where a suite is not required, I found the View Deluxe rooms to be very pleasant and airy with wrap-around windows.

Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 pm

So the service is still uneven more than year after the hotel has opened. We had good service at breakfast but in other areas it was very mixed, especially housekeeping and room service. A bit of a crap shoot, so someone on a short stay might get the short end all-round, while on a longer stay it might average out a bit better. I would some it up as generally friendly with a low level of competence, and most unfortunately in some cases a lack of effort. Having stayed at only one other Andaz, Tokyo, I wonder if this is an Andaz thing, We found the staff at Andaz Tokyo also friendly but lacking competency, notably in comparison to the similarly priced PH. One big difference though from Andaz Singapore is that the staff in Tokyo show no lack of willingness to make an effort.

There also seems to be streak of stinginess at Andaz Singapore, as typified by the way they dealt with the case above where the room was not ready at 4:20 PM when the stated check-in time is 3 PM. Not only an absence of proactive compensation but stiff resistance to requested compensation. All they had to do was hand out a few of the drink vouchers that they now give to Globs in lieu of the discontinued Happy Hour! There have also been reports of Gobs not getting an upgrade to a suite in spite of availability even on a one-night stay, and there is a post on TA of a Prive reservation that was told at check-in that the pre-confirmed upgrade to a Deluxe Room was "not available", with no mention of compensation. We also had real difficulty trying to get confirmed upgrading on a 13-night Prive booking because the stay was "too long". It was suggested we stay 6 nights, go someplace else for one night, and then come back for 6 nights, which I found ridiculous.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
We also had real difficulty trying to get confirmed upgrading on a 13-night Prive booking because the stay was "too long". It was suggested we stay 6 nights, go someplace else for one night, and then come back for 6 nights, which I found ridiculous.
Just wow.

You would think a hotel would love 13 consecutive days from a guest. They really need an attitude adjustment!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.