Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I can't imagine having room for lunch after breakfast at the Tavern.
I would visit the gym to burn off some of the calories.... But the F&B at this hotel is too good, diets be damned. Fortunately there are very healthy menu items, and of course sushi is very light.

Does anyone else love the chef's roasted tomato soup, or the lobster bisque with uni?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would visit the gym to burn off some of the calories.... But the F&B at this hotel is too good, diets be damned. Fortunately there are very healthy menu items, and of course sushi is very light.

Does anyone else love the chef's roasted tomato soup, or the lobster bisque with uni?
I LOVE the uni lobster bisque with extra uni on the side! Even before they had the sushi bar, their uni was quite plump and fresh. You can tell the care and seriousness that Andaz Tokyo takes when sourcing ingredients.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Which of the four for splitting days in Tokyo with an overnight in Kyoto

I am a newly minted Platinum (via the Visa card) and will be traveling to Tokyo for the first time in 45 years (lived there in the 60's)

The original plan was to spend two nights at Hyatt Regency (arriving 5:00 PM March 29 & staying March 30), drop off two of our three our bags at the bell desk for an overnight trip to Kyoto, then come back to the Regency late on Apr 1 as a base touring Fuji and/ or Nikko in the north before heading back to the US @ 5:30 PM on April 3

Since it's our anniversary, should we stay at the Andaz upon our return from Kyoto and stay at one of the other properties when we first arrive (and not worry about bags)?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
I am a newly minted Platinum (via the Visa card) and will be traveling to Tokyo for the first time in 45 years (lived there in the 60's)

The original plan was to spend two nights at Hyatt Regency (arriving 5:00 PM March 29 & staying March 30), drop off two of our three our bags at the bell desk for an overnight trip to Kyoto, then come back to the Regency late on Apr 1 as a base touring Fuji and/ or Nikko in the north before heading back to the US @ 5:30 PM on April 3

Since it's our anniversary, should we stay at the Andaz upon our return from Kyoto and stay at one of the other properties when we first arrive (and not worry about bags)?
Definitely recommend Andaz for the whole trip rather than splitting your Tokyo hotels. I can't think of a better hotel to celebrate such a momentous occasion.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

If you're not a Diamond, then I also recommend Andaz for your entire trip.

On another note, I think your plan to do an overnighter in Kyoto is ridiculous. You can't do Kyoto in a day, and I don't know why you would want to waste so much time on a train on a short trip. Just take a day trip to Kamakura for the temples and continue staying at the Andaz.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
If you're not a Diamond, then I also recommend Andaz for your entire trip.

On another note, I think your plan to do an overnighter in Kyoto is ridiculous. You can't do Kyoto in a day, and I don't know why you would want to waste so much time on a train on a short trip. Just take a day trip to Kamakura for the temples and continue staying at the Andaz.
Pulled it off as a two nighter in 1969 (school field trip), but I'm slower and have more yen (and insurance). I'll have to think this out a bit more.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pulled it off as a two nighter in 1969 (school field trip), but I'm slower and have more yen (and insurance). I'll have to think this out a bit more.
Do a 3 nights at HR Kyoto and one at Andaz Tokyo? Or just a full Tokyo stay. Either way you will enjoy yourself!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
Never stayed at HR Tokyo but follow the thread in this forum. not surprised it's a good stay and value.

I'd say Andaz is also a good value proposition. Different price class but Diamonds are treated well.
What does the Andaz do for Diamonds other than an excellent free breakfast?

Also, could someone please clarify the "all have evening cocktails" comment in the wiki? I assume this refers to free happy hour drinks in the lounge at the HR and GH, but what's the situation at the Andaz and PH? What are the hours for the drinks (and appetizers at the Andaz)?

I have a reservation for the PH with P&C and a DSU, but the Andaz is also available for P&C for a lot less, even though it would cost exactly the same to book either one for my dates on a cash basis. I'm wondering whether the PH is worth 2,500 more points and $150 more cash, plus apparently more than 20% additional for tax and service.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 22, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The biggest thing is the room upgrade. For me, there is a huge difference between the Large King and the base room...though of course, there's no guarantee that you'll get it.

As all of my stays are one or two nights, 4pm check out is fairly significant as well.

Also, could someone please clarify the "all have evening cocktails" comment in the wiki? I assume this refers to free happy hour drinks in the lounge at the HR and GH, but what's the situation at the Andaz and PH? What are the hours for the drinks (and appetizers at the Andaz)?
Andaz has some red and white wine, as well as some Japanese liquor. The appetizers are just a couple of little finger food things; you can barely make a snack out of it, let alone a meal.

I have a reservation for the PH with P&C and a DSU, but the Andaz is also available for P&C for a lot less, even though it would cost exactly the same to book either one for my dates on a cash basis. I'm wondering whether the PH is worth 2,500 more points and $150 more cash, plus apparently more than 20% additional for tax and service.
Since you're not going to get a suite at Andaz, I personally would pay extra for the Park Hyatt to stay in their Park Suite. But neither one is a bad choice; just different strokes for different folks.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The breakfast, sometimes points AND their delightful eclair amenity or seasonal treat, sometimes an upgrade based on availability (but don't count on suites). In room check-in too. I felt much better treated as a Diamond at Andaz than the one time at PH. Would never pay more to stay at PH. Never.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
The breakfast, sometimes points AND their delightful eclair amenity or seasonal treat, sometimes an upgrade based on availability (but don't count on suites). In room check-in too. I felt much better treated as a Diamond at Andaz than the one time at PH. Would never pay more to stay at PH. Never.
If I were to judge Andaz Tokyo solely on my first stay, I would never be recommending it. I think a second stay at Park Hyatt would give you a much more favorable opinion as well.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:04 pm

I would pay a premium for Andaz over PH or GH. In fact, Andaz is the only Hyatt property where I will stay these days, otherwise I would choose R-C, MO, or S-L.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would pay a premium for Andaz over PH or GH. In fact, Andaz is the only Hyatt property where I will stay these days, otherwise I would choose R-C, MO, or S-L.
Not the Peninsula?

My alternatives would be either the Imperial or the Westin, both of which treat me very well (with multiple stays at both, but never a Hyatt in Tokyo, although I have stayed in the Palace Hotel, the former LM, and some boutique properties). Either one gives me a 4 pm checkout, although I'll probably need to leave for the airport at about 2 pm on this stay. BTW, I'm talking about a weekend (Saturday and Sunday nights) in January.

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were to judge Andaz Tokyo solely on my first stay, I would never be recommending it. I think a second stay at Park Hyatt would give you a much more favorable opinion as well.
To be fair, your first stay was during their opening period/first day. I'm with MikeFromTokyo in that Andaz is the only Hyatt I'm choosing in Tokyo. Too many better choices around.

Not the Peninsula?

My alternatives would be either the Imperial or the Westin, both of which treat me very well (with multiple stays at both, but never a Hyatt in Tokyo, although I have stayed in the Palace Hotel, the former LM, and some boutique properties). Either one gives me a 4 pm checkout, although I'll probably need to leave for the airport at about 2 pm on this stay. BTW, I'm talking about a weekend (Saturday and Sunday nights) in January.

Thanks everyone.
Andaz Tokyo has the direct Airport Limo if that helps but ask about the hours. I've only ever taken the 7:50am one.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just had two stays at the Andaz after a brief trip to Kyoto in between. Got upgraded to a huge suite the first night. Unfortunately, the suite was unavailable when I came back because of weddings. However, the base room and closet was still huge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.