Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Dear Mr. Room 1012

“Room 1012 is considered one of our premium suites as it is 1,000 square feet and features an additional half bath.

We appreciate your feedback and are looking into possibly amending our website.”

I called and spoke to the assistant Director of Operations. In summary, they have three rooms that do not match the city view suites on the low floors, but are considered city view suites. I discussed they should make them into a subcategory of premium suites based on the square footage, but should never be part of the city view suites. In a nut shell, he can’t make the decision, and will be brought up with management.

What is worrisome, is that they rather amend their website, rather than do the right thing of just removing those rooms from the city view city suite pool of rooms
Creating a subcategory is just going to make that the new premium suite option but ultimately clarity and transparency are good even if that removes the option for a city view premium suite option.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Dear Mr. Room 1012

“Room 1012 is considered one of our premium suites as it is 1,000 square feet and features an additional half bath.

We appreciate your feedback and are looking into possibly amending our website.”

I called and spoke to the assistant Director of Operations. In summary, they have three rooms that do not match the city view suites on the low floors, but are considered city view suites. I discussed they should make them into a subcategory of premium suites based on the square footage, but should never be part of the city view suites. In a nut shell, he can’t make the decision, and will be brought up with management.

What is worrisome, is that they rather amend their website, rather than do the right thing of just removing those rooms from the city view city suite pool of rooms
Wow. Hopefully the bloggers pick up on this and cause a nightmare for management. They deserve it, and every guest who booked a premium suite and got 1012 deserves compensation.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
And I was criticized for saying I would never stay at PH NY - pay for what you want is what apologists wrote. Well, this guy paid for a premium suite and didn't get one. Clearly this is not run by mgt that I want to support, all the more galling because this is Hyatt owned
​​​
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:42 pm

Place is a disgrace probably the worst hyatt experience i have had was there
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Once AGAIN, I have stated that I will never stay at the PH NY as I prefer the Andaz Fifth Avenue to this property. People can choose to stay at the PH NY and be disappointed, but that's their choice to make!
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Exactly. I have 80 nights at Park Hyatt Suzhou in last 3 years. I've been upgraded to a specialty suite every single time.

Last week at PH Suzhou when I checked in, they offered me to choose which specific specialty I wanted when I checked in. Everyone in my party was given a full buffet breakfast.

Last month at PH Dubai I was upgraded to president suite and had a full buffet breakfast

Why would I stay at PH NY when I would have no chance of getting upgraded to a proper suite and have a relatively meager breakfast

70-80% of my stays are at PHs or Alilas and the PH NY's lack of upgrades to a proper suite is disconcerting since it's owned and run by corporate. If other PHs follow suit, I Would not be loyal to Hyatt anymore.

PH NY sets a bad tone.

People on this thread attack me for how I spend and choose hotels as being irrational but I appreciate upgrades for a week to president suites and no I would not pay for that myself directly. That falls above my budget. I'm not going to spend 3000-5000 USD a night. But Hyatts loyalty program means sometimes I get those incredible rooms. That makes me loyal

But if everything becomes like NY, that's unacceptable
You have every right to be frustrated, and I've found the PHNY to be a frustrating hotel, but it's hardly a surprise that you would be given a lavish suite upgrade at the PH Dubai in August in comparison to the PH NY.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:59 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
One issue is that there can be different configurations within a room category. PH MEL has 38 different configurations, for example, despite only having a handful of room types.

I think the issue here is why wasn't a Glob given the best room in category if there are different configurations? That's the question the hotel has to answer as it is a published benefit.

I'm very glad my stays at the PHNY were before all of this gaming and nonsense.

Last edited by m0hamed; Aug 27, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Old Aug 27, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by m0hamed
One issue is that there can be different configurations within a room category. PH MEL has 38 different configurations, for example, despite only having a handful of room types.

I think the issue here is why wasn't a Glob given the best room in category if there are different configurations? That's the question the hotel has to answer as it is a published benefit.

I'm very glad my stays at the PHNY were before all of this gaming and nonsense.
One issue I have is that despite the different configurations the hotel app says that all are corner suites (one can quibble on what is a city view) but it's clear when looking at the website that they push the views and corner aspect which is very different from what the photo above shows.

They need to change the wording and, more realistically and honestly, change the categories of those specific rooms that clearly are not premium suites in any honest person's definition
Old Aug 27, 2023, 7:34 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SHLTP
One issue I have is that despite the different configurations the hotel app says that all are corner suites (one can quibble on what is a city view) but it's clear when looking at the website that they push the views and corner aspect which is very different from what the photo above shows.

They need to change the wording and, more realistically and honestly, change the categories of those specific rooms that clearly are not premium suites in any honest person's definition
Oh, I agree. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wonder if they only attempt to palm off the 10th floor suites as "City View" on those redeeming points?
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:04 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

When I lived in New York decades ago and managed a retail store across from Carnegie Hall there was a reasonably strict law that prevented “Bait and Switch”
Essentially that is advertise one thing and deliver something else instead of lesser quality for the same price
Points bring in some gray area I imagine
You expect this of petty thieves but not a premium travel company that was once the most generous to its loyal guests
spending thousands or hundreds of thousands in the case of some of us.

My sincere apology to the affected guest.You deserve better
This is not the same company I admired in the 90s
PHNY and Andaz Maui are now imo are amongst the worst offenders when it comes to downgrading suite categories.
Enough so that even with liking both properties I almost always stay elsewhere
Thats before we get on the topic of breakfast at PHNYC the one thing Andaz Maui clearly gets right as it should @ 900 dollars plus a night!
The gaming has gone on for years I agree with others that the hotel needs to be called out publicly to embarrass them into fair and reasonable compliance
I’m embarrassed for Hyatt and it clouds my trust as a guest booking hotels with them.
My only comfort is I know not all hotels game Hyatt or the guest

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 28, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Old Aug 28, 2023, 12:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
When I lived in New York decades ago and managed a retail store across from Carnegie Hall there was a reasonably strict law that prevented “Bait and Switch”
Essentially that is advertise one thing and deliver something else instead of lesser quality for the same price
For sure, and the 349/350 NY law is still enforced. Pretty much it helps bring NY city extra revenue if the AG decides to go after them. As the consumer, we can get up to three times the financial harm (Treble), but from my perspective, it is rather the financial penalty and fines the city levies in order for management to change their advertisement/product. In addition, most business don't like the time/resource wasted to provide subpoenaed sales records to determine how many times PH NY has done this, in order to calculate the penalties.

At the minimum, I'm going to submit a 349/350 form in order for PH NY to change their practices. As with any business in the US, change won't happen without the threat or actual financial penalties. At least NY city can get extra funding from the fines.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I've been ignoring this thread as I've sworn off PHNY a few years ago, but went in to see what all the commotion was about and what a story. This property is still willfully and purposefully being difficult when it comes to anything and everything to do with globalist recognition and participation with WoH. It's not like this hotel is a good deal on pts either, and they got out from any Cat1-7 certificates.

I must say, with several more years of experience and dozens of other stays/properties, that PHNY still had one of the lowest quality restaurant breakfasts I've had at any full service Hyatt (and I am not basing it on high expectations or anything, it's just my 12 year old kid has figured out how to cook some eggs and sausage and serve it to me while still warm, and PHNY never showed me that much).

And I've yet to be as disappointed in a standard suite anywhere else (compared to base room). Closest thing perhaps, was the HC-Madrid standard suite, which can also be just a junior suite with maybe 30% more sq footage than the base room, but that still comes with sweeping sun-filled city views (and their breakfast and rest of globalist recognition was awesome). Like, I would totally still burn a TSU at HC Madrid as there is appreciable value. A TSU on top of $1K+ per night base rate on PHNY gets you for all practical purposes about an arm's length more depth to your room to squeeze in a small couch near the dark window.

I think the PHNY is an okay hotel -- a bit overpriced perhaps. They just seem to have a special disgust with WOH stuff. That is not something I've experienced at any other property other than a stay in 2018 at HR Etoile (which, generally most of you all have great experiences with, so I will just assume I got them on a bad week. Our experience there was so disappointing though that my wife still refuses to let us try it again).
Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I still believe the best way to handle these disappointments is to work directly with "Hyatt Consumer Affairs"
and or the Globalist Concierge team assuming you have a good one that you have you trust in
and he or she has empathy as well as understanding in these matters.
Some agents don't understand what a 150 night guests go through to stay loyal in a program or variety of programs
running from destination to destination.
Drama and bad actors in some hotels create high levels of stress for we the frequent traveler.

Hyatt may view our conversations here as even Jeff Zidell would back in the day however filing cases
is more important than just posting here for hopeful change.
Unfortunately because the games have been going on for years at this property I don't blame somebody going into other global social media to share their story publiclywith regard to their stay experience.With the last shenanigans I encountered at check in at another wildly popular property the good folks from Hyatt
in Guest Relations jumped into action to see that we were properly upgraded to their credit based on open availability after the hotel decided to once again downgrade the standard suite category and rather than explain that new policy say they were fully committed @ check in
Wasn't aware this happened coming out of Covid only that there was no upgrade at all at arrival.
Must say despite the hotels disturbing business behavior lets not forget that generally Hyatt does have our back when its important or matters reasonably to most guests.

And thats why despite escalating costs for revenue or award bookings I continue to choose Hyatt
wherever it may make sense.I still value my relationship with Hyatt.
Thankfully they seem to value my loyalty all these decades despite the ever increasing bumps along the travel highway
Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:21 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I still believe the best way to handle these disappointments is to work directly with "Hyatt Consumer Affairs" and or the Globalist Concierge team assuming you have a good one that you have you trust in and he or she has empathy as well as understanding in these matters.
Funny you say that. I took out a lot of specific details to not belabor the message on my initial posts. In detail: I tried to give PH NY ample opportunities to make it right, and their stance is tough luck and this is the way we want it to be, even though they know they had past complaints. First night, upon going to the room, something felt off on the room that I have received, as this was my first time here at PH NY. I had to look at my email confirmation of what suite I booked and the online photos, as I wanted to give my wife a view of the city outline at night. At first, I called to ask if I can get a higher floor. After seeing I had a confirmed City View Suite, I went back downstairs and asked if 1012 is a City View Suite, and perhaps a mistake has occurred during checkin. The front desk agent assured me the low level city view suites are city view suites, even if it doesn't match the online description or photos. No recovery effort at all.

I called the globalist line, and they recommended discussing this with the GM. I emailed the general concierge email and my concierge with no response even at this time. I went back to the front desk on the same night as check in, and asked if they can have the GM contact me when they are available, and they mentioned he/she is out for the weekend, and will be back Monday. On Saturday night, I proactively asked for the GM's email, and my email was responded on Sunday by the assistant director of operations. In summary, no change will occur, until discussed with management; and the issue is a well known complaint to them. They also know the blueprint is different at the lower levels, and admit to 3 rooms being such different floor plans, and are still considered the City View Suites (knowingly knowing a different floor plan exists for these rooms when compared to the online City View Suite floor plan). They have no plans to change the advertisement of those non City View Suite conforming layouts.

So if PH NY already knows this is an issue, does not even pre-warn that the room I received does not conform to the city view suites as advertise during check in, and hopes the guest don't complain; is not something the globalist team or consumer affairs will fix. This is an issue with management that allows such deceptive practices in the first place. I've been moving my spend to Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, and recently Aman over the past 1.5 years, and don't really care if I burn a bridge here.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Aug 28, 2023 at 4:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.