Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
It's usually around $200 per night give or take to upgrade to a full 1 bedroom after the TSU has been used. I think it's worth it.....
The last two PHs I stayed at upgraded me to specialty suites. I've actually gotten a proper suite at every PH I've ever been to.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but at a minimum I think PH NY should upgrade to a separate bedroom if a TSU is used.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by SHLTP
The last two PHs I stayed at upgraded me to specialty suites. I've actually gotten a proper suite at every PH I've ever been to.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but at a minimum I think PH NY should upgrade to a separate bedroom if a TSU is used.
You are not spoilt. I agree with you: PH NY as a Hyatt owned so called "flagship" property should adhere to industry conventions. A suite is a an accommodation that separates the bedroom from the living room. A junior suite offers a bed and a living room area in one room without a wall or separation.

My suggestion: reach out to the property and kindly ask whether they can put you in a real suite.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sapguy
After experiencing the Globalist breakfasts at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, the Park Hyatt Saigon, the Park Hyatt Bangkok, the Park Hyatt Tokyo, and even the Park Hyatt Aviara Carlsbad, I was completely disappointed at the Globalist breakfast experience at the Park Hyatt New York! To me, even the Globalist breakfast experience at the Andaz Fifth Avenue is so much better! But of course, each of us have a different experience and perspective
I'm thinking of booking a one-night stay at the PHNY. What was the breakfast and elite recognition like? I'm looking at either $1032.46/40,000 points. I feel like I may be better off spending my points at the PH Paris Vendome.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm thinking of booking a one-night stay at the PHNY. What was the breakfast and elite recognition like? I'm looking at either $1032.46/40,000 points. I feel like I may be better off spending my points at the PH Paris Vendome.
I've had a handful of breakfasts at more luxurious properties like Aman's, Four Seasons and other independent hotels and on my three stays at PHNY over the last 2 years, I've never been disappointed with their breakfast. They've comped the entire thing no matter what and how much I ordered and the presentation was decent. Sure, it's not the best breakfast I've ever had but I think its pretty good. Service is definitely a bit hands off and indifferent at times but it's NY, what can you expect. I don't try to compare any hotels in NY to standards in other more service oriented parts of the world. In terms of Globalist recognition, don't expect any free upgrades to a suite. I'm perfectly happy in their fairly large regular king room given I'm in NY and not holed up in my hotel room all day.

I still think PHNY is a decent value proposition at 35k or 40k points given the cash rates at properties that are nicer/better/more lux than PHNY.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by lsquare
The points are worth $720.00 approx dollars and it includes tax based on what Hyatt
sells them for @ 1.8 per point if that’s any indication
Not sure if the 1032 includes tax but if it doesn’t that makes points likely the vastly better option imo.
It shouldn’t matter how you choose to pay when it comes to recognition.

Breakfast at PHNY was once exceptional when they opened and Hyatt has decided to
put out an adequate satisfactory enough breakfast that is ok.No one will likely mistake it for Park Hyatt Paris etc
Since opening the property has favored some Globalists and not others more typically when it
comes to generously upgrading
to their most desirable suites/one bedroom suites.
I was fortunate to make the A list for a short time but then all management left and I’ve never returned to try my luck
I typically choose where I know I’m likely to be well taken care of.

The current GM at Andaz 5th is a great and a seasoned long time Hyatt veteran.He's made some improvements in his
first year in my own experience.The upgrade was stellar again no cutting corners
The hotel is in the best hands it’s ever been and I see it’s many a Globalist
that seems to agree these days based on more favorable reviews as of late.
The dining isn’t the former Shop standard but my private source at Hyatt Corp tells me the below level restaurant is
receiving very high scores overall compared to their other properties in NYC

I’ve always been ok with PHNY but never fully understood their breakfast policies for Globalists when lesser Hyatt properties
despite the so called written rules serve you whatever makes you happy and generously.
IMO all 5 stars should be at the top of their game with upgrade and breakfast benefits whenever possible.
I’ve learned to respect other opinions from those that think it’s the last world or faultless and worth the tab.
I’m old school and like being rewarded for my loyalty and not because a given property tries to sell me the upgrade
It’s fairly good for a premium property but overly pricey for what you get
YMMV
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 3, 2023 at 11:07 pm
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinyoungkim7
I've had a handful of breakfasts at more luxurious properties like Aman's, Four Seasons and other independent hotels and on my three stays at PHNY over the last 2 years, I've never been disappointed with their breakfast. They've comped the entire thing no matter what and how much I ordered and the presentation was decent. Sure, it's not the best breakfast I've ever had but I think its pretty good. Service is definitely a bit hands off and indifferent at times but it's NY, what can you expect. I don't try to compare any hotels in NY to standards in other more service oriented parts of the world. In terms of Globalist recognition, don't expect any free upgrades to a suite. I'm perfectly happy in their fairly large regular king room given I'm in NY and not holed up in my hotel room all day.

I still think PHNY is a decent value proposition at 35k or 40k points given the cash rates at properties that are nicer/better/more lux than PHNY.
What was served for breakfast? Menu?

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The points are worth $720.00 approx dollars and it includes tax based on what Hyatt
Not sure if the 1032 includes tax but if it doesn’t that makes points likely the vastly better option imo.

Breakfast at PHNY was once exceptional when they opened and Hyatt has decided to
put out an adequate satisfactory enough breakfast that is ok.No one will likely mistake it for Park Hyatt Paris etc
Since opening the property has favored some Globalists and not others more typically when it
I was fortunate to make the A list for a short time but then all management left and I’ve never returned to try my luck

The current GM at Andaz 5th is a great and a seasoned long time Hyatt veteran.He's made some improvements in his
first year in my own experience.The upgrade was stellar again no cutting corners
The dining isn’t the former Shop standard but my private source at Hyatt Corp tells me the below level restaurant is

I’ve always been ok with PHNY but never fully understood their breakfast policies for Globalists when lesser Hyatt properties
despite the so called written rules serve you whatever makes you happy and generously.
IMO all 5 stars should be at the top of their game with upgrade and breakfast benefits whenever possible.
I’ve learned to respect other opinions from those that think it’s the last world or faultless and worth the tab.
I’m old school and like being rewarded for my loyalty and not because a given property tries to sell me the upgrade
YMMV
​​​​​​​Whenever I state the price, it's inclusive of tax. I find it misleading to leave it out since it's not optional.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

YMMV
As posted upthread, I prefer the Andaz 5th Avenue over the PHNY - it's not even close, and I agree with your opinion.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
As posted upthread, I prefer the Andaz 5th Avenue over the PHNY - it's not even close, and I agree with your opinion.
Can I ask why you prefer Andaz 5th Ave vs PHNY? I've only stayed at PHNY and open to trying out Andaz. PHNY's property feels more luxurious to me. Also, I think it's important to compare base room to base room maybe? I'm not sure how generous Andaz is with upgrades for Globalists, but if you compare base room to each other, PHNY's room seems more luxe, larger, a nicer bathroom area and their showers/tub are great. I would probably say Andaz has the better location for the restaurants I want to go to and my most my friends living in lower Manhattan. At least in watching videos and seeing pictures, the Andaz rooms feel more minimalist in a bad way... lots of white space and cheap looking furniture. I also appreciate the gym/pool/spa area of PHNY, none of which Andaz seems to have?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Can I ask why you prefer Andaz 5th Ave vs PHNY? I've only stayed at PHNY and open to trying out Andaz. PHNY's property feels more luxurious to me. Also, I think it's important to compare base room to base room maybe? I'm not sure how generous Andaz is with upgrades for Globalists, but if you compare base room to each other, PHNY's room seems more luxe, larger, a nicer bathroom area and their showers/tub are great. I would probably say Andaz has the better location for the restaurants I want to go to and my most my friends living in lower Manhattan. At least in watching videos and seeing pictures, the Andaz rooms feel more minimalist in a bad way... lots of white space and cheap looking furniture. I also appreciate the gym/pool/spa area of PHNY, none of which Andaz seems to have?
I much prefer the PHNY over the Andaz. I find the rooms in the Andaz to be sparse, cheap, and not very cozy. I also don't find the service to be any better than the PHNY, and I much prefer the location of the PHNY near CPS.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
... but if you compare base room to each other, PHNY's room seems more luxe, larger, a nicer bathroom area and their showers/tub are great. I would probably say Andaz has the better location for the restaurants I want to go to and my most my friends living in lower Manhattan. At least in watching videos and seeing pictures, the Andaz rooms feel more minimalist in a bad way... lots of white space and cheap looking furniture. I also appreciate the gym/pool/spa area of PHNY, none of which Andaz seems to have?
I have stayed at both properties multiple times and concur with your view: base room to base room PHNY beats Andaz hands down. Andaz wins if you are looking at suites: I love the Wellness Suite, the 5th Ave Terrace and the Empire Terrace Suite.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I’m not a fan of the decor of the Andaz. The high ceiling is great but otherwise, the room is too white and sparse for my taste.

If the price is the same, then obviously the PH is way nicer for a direct comparison. But is it 2-3x as nice? That’s questionable.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
I’m not a fan of the decor of the Andaz. The high ceiling is great but otherwise, the room is too white and sparse for my taste.

If the price is the same, then obviously the PH is way nicer for a direct comparison. But is it 2-3x as nice? That’s questionable.
For my dates, the PH is only a bit more expensive. Definitely not 2-3x.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
It's usually around $200 per night give or take to upgrade to a full 1 bedroom after the TSU has been used. I think it's worth it.....
for me, it’s been $300 .

the true suite on TSU is why I choose Andaz. But not as nice as the PH true suite.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Each of us have our preferences but since you asked:
1. I have not at all been impressed with the PH NY, not the room (which is not bad but nowhere near as nice as other Park Hyatt), not the location (some people like Central Park but I don't), and the cold attitude and the lack of Globalist recognition (which has been mentioned many times in this thread
2. The Globalist breakfast was so awful that I just can't see myself staying again

Now like the Andaz Fifth Avenue for the location (love that part of town as I can walk to all my favorite places and restaurants), for the very friendly services (at the reception and well before I arrive), the Globalist recognition, and at the generous suite upgrades that I have received. If you go this thread on the Andaz Fifth Avenue and check out my posts #2086, #2092, #2093, #2118, #2119, #2120, #2126, and #2142 (the main one)
Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I just came back from Asia and stayed at the Park Hyatt Bangkok, the Park Hyatt Saigon, and the Andaz Seoul Gangnam, and I can tell you that the Park Hyatt NY looks SAD when compared to those properties!
The Andaz Fifth Avenue is my home in NYC - other Globalists can stay at the PH NY (please do) and that way, there will be less competition for upgrade at the Andaz Fifth
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:13 am

Have a stay coming up as a Globalist. For those of you who had a booking for 2 adults then invited a friend over to have breakfast with you in room or in the restaurant and ordered 3 entrees (and associated drinks/sides), did the property wipe off the entire charge? Debating asking if my sister wants to join us for breakfast. Willing to pay for her but would be nice if its typically wiped off in these situations.

In past stays at PHNY (once in 2021 and another time in 2022), they've wiped off the entire charge no matter what my wife and I ordered. Sometimes we ordered 3 entrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.