Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:48 am

Had a one night stay and another nice experience this weekend at the PHNY using points on a premium suite. I could tell the hotel was much busier this time then when we stayed back in May which is a good sign, the check in area was very busy. As far as the stay goes, I couldn't secure much of an early check in like last time (2.30 pm vs 10.30 am last time) but was able to get a 4 pm check out which was nice. Breakfast was great again and still being done via room service, the beautiful lobby bar is now opened at night most days of the week. I had one special request and it was sent up right away so no issues at all with service. In any event we had another great time at the PHNY, I took this picture of the hotel from the Central Park Zoo yesterday.....
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:12 am

Stayed again last weekend. Nice to see the steam room is back open! Got 10 am check in and 4pm check out as globalist....
dpb132 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
I'm glad Tony had a nice stay. The hotel is not in that picture, however.

The building that holds the hotel? That's another story.
Kacee and WasKnown like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:37 pm

A few data points, observations, and nit-picks after staying here for a single Saturday night on a cert as a Glob in Aug 2021. The short version is: Everything already mentioned in the thread is pretty spot on. The hard product is generally to Park Hyatt expectations, service is good (not great)...but operationally there's a lot of inconsistency. Overall in my opinion definitely missing a few things to truly be considered a "flagship" caliber property for Hyatt
  • In app, offered upgrade to an ADA Park Suite with immediate availability at 1:30pm. I still checked-in at the front desk around 4pm as I needed a tub for my infant - got the Park King that was booked. No mention of an upgrade availability, but also had to wait 45 mins for the standard king room to be cleaned.
  • Valet parking was available, but s-l-o-w. Doorman who took the keys said either call down ahead 30-45 mins to get your car OR for 5 minute service just walk to the garage entrance on 58th behind the hotel, and the parking company (ICON) can deliver the vehicle much faster. I'm sure some of the slowness is due to staffing...but an observation from my dashcam, The slowness is just due to an inefficient operation. When dropping off in front of the hotel, to get to the parking garage the valets have to drive a half-mile loop down 57th, right on 8th ave, another right on 58th with 6 traffic lights. Then the garage elevator is a 45-60 second ride into a very tight garage. In short, there's no "fast” valet parking
  • I’m not sure if the room was turned too quickly or the property is tightening up on amenities but there were a lot of missing courtesy items in the room that I expected to see - half the mini-bar was empty, the laundry & shoe bags weren’t there, there were two robes but only one pair of slippers, and perhaps its just covid but there was no stationary/pens. No welcome amenity, not even fruit.
  • The rooms are definitely showing some wear and tear. More than a dozen of the tiles in the bath had cracks throughout (to the designer's credit they blend it well with the stone material), the swing-down reading lights in the headboard are loose (as in if you don’t pull gently they will come “out” of the headboard), and even the roll-in crib was chipped and missing paint.
  • The tech in the room is also aging - the on-screen guide on the TV never loaded the program listings the grid guide just shows “coming soon", the bedside analog clock needed a new battery, and the rubber on the iPad case was reverting making it sticky.
  • I was surprised to see two attendants/lifeguards working both times we used the pool - but with the relative crowd the pool area drew it made sense considering that early ever chair was being used. It was primarily families, and I felt pity for the one gentleman who was trying to get some laps in. But even with two attendants working the pool experience was disapointing, the underwater speakers weren’t working, there were piles of calcium flakes accumulating in the corners, but most disapointing of all, they ran out of towels during both pool sessions. No towels available in the locker rooms or on the pool deck - and the attendant said they would not be available until the next day. So we saw more than one famly trek to the elevator dripping wet…
  • Granted it was a hot weekend, but it seems the default service recovery is to offer up a bottle of water. It was almost comical how each time a staff member apologized for something they offered a bottle of water - from the wait to the room, the wait for the valet to write up the parking ticket, needing to wait for a bellman, a delay with the concierge, I was always offered a few bottles of water. Everone was extremely friendly and for the most part geniuine but is bottled water really the right guest recover tool?
  • A few items on the room service breakfast menu have seem price increases (Steak & Eggs and the NY Breakfast are now $56 (up from $45), and smoked salmon side is $21 (up from $14). - they did bill us for everything over $135 ($45 x 3)
  • They’re promoting two additional “amenities” with some retail partners - we didn’t shop this trip so we didn’t take advantage, but the hotel conceirge is supposed to have Nordstrom “gift cards” good for free coffee at the Nordstrom Coffee Bar, and showing your Park Hyatt NY room key at the La Labo store on 65th is supposed to net a “5-piece discovery” set
dpb132, tearex and econ like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by peetahvw
  • In app, offered upgrade to an ADA Park Suite with immediate availability at 1:30pm. I still checked-in at the front desk around 4pm as I needed a tub for my infant - got the Park King that was booked. No mention of an upgrade availability, but also had to wait 45 mins for the standard king room to be cleaned.

I don't have much experience with this functionality on the app, but was it possible to confirm the upgrade on the app at 1:30 pm? Was the suite no longer available on the app when checking-in at the hotel?

• I’m not sure if the room was turned too quickly or the property is tightening up on amenities but there were a lot of missing courtesy items in the room that I expected to see - half the mini-bar was empty, the laundry & shoe bags weren’t there, there were two robes but only one pair of slippers, and perhaps its just covid but there was no stationary/pens. No welcome amenity, not even fruit.

Not sure if it's because it was the base room, but the suite I was in a couple weeks ago had a fully stocked mini-bar. Most importantly, there were proper coffee cups, a much better experience than drinking espresso from paper cups when the mini-bar was empty earlier this year. Stationary/pens were in the room also.

I can't remember the last time I've received a welcome amenity at this hotel.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
  • A few items on the room service breakfast menu have seem price increases (Steak & Eggs and the NY Breakfast are now $56 (up from $45), and smoked salmon side is $21 (up from $14). - they did bill us for everything over $135 ($45 x 3)
It sounds like you can no longer get an actual breakfast (entree, juice, coffee, tax, and gratuity) covered by the ($45) allowance?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by Kacee
It sounds like you can no longer get an actual breakfast (entree, juice, coffee, tax, and gratuity) covered by the ($45) allowance?
The set breakfasts have gone up to over $50. However, on my last couple of visits, they no longer mentioned a Globalist $$ allowance, but rather said you could choose one of the set breakfasts. With delivery fee and 2 small sides, we ended up signing $175 and $190 breakfast bills for 2 people. But both bills were entirely taken care of.

Real upgrades at the hotel are almost non existent. We stay at the hotel often and they’ve been very transparent with us: They’ll only do complimentary upgrades to the King Studio Suite (which is not a real suite), which they are happy to confirm for us at time of booking. If you want an upgrade to a better room or real suite, they sell cash upgrades.

Overall, the hotel feels very sales-y. In fact, I think the titles of many of the people working reservations at the hotel is “Revenue Manager.”

However, given my desire to earn Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, and the fact that they will upgrade you to a nice suite for a “cheap” cash upgrade (eg the nice and spacious corner City View Suite is consistently a $300 upgrade), I find myself doing most of my “normal” NYC stays at the PHNY. For special occasions, there are much better hotels (with better views and service) in New York.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
The set breakfasts have gone up to over $50. However, on my last couple of visits, they no longer mentioned a Globalist $$ allowance, but rather said you could choose one of the set breakfasts. With delivery fee and 2 small sides, we ended up signing $175 and $190 breakfast bills for 2 people. But both bills were entirely taken care of.

Real upgrades at the hotel are almost non existent. We stay at the hotel often and they’ve been very transparent with us: They’ll only do complimentary upgrades to the King Studio Suite (which is not a real suite), which they are happy to confirm for us at time of booking. If you want an upgrade to a better room or real suite, they sell cash upgrades.

Overall, the hotel feels very sales-y. In fact, I think the titles of many of the people working reservations at the hotel is “Revenue Manager.”

However, given my desire to earn Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, and the fact that they will upgrade you to a nice suite for a “cheap” cash upgrade (eg the nice and spacious corner City View Suite is consistently a $300 upgrade), I find myself doing most of my “normal” NYC stays at the PHNY. For special occasions, there are much better hotels (with better views and service) in New York.
Thanks! ever her upgraded beyond studio if using a TSU?or would the cash upgrade to. Real suite be lower if TSUed into a studio suite?

If I use a tsu for two nights on points and a free cat 1-7 added on, should I expect a room change due to policy or are they flexible,, space permitting.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
From a hard product perspective, 30k + $300 isn't at all a bad deal for the City View Suite (which is sometimes available as a 60k redemption). Of course, you'll still have to deal with the staff...

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks! ever her upgraded beyond studio if using a TSU?or would the cash upgrade to. Real suite be lower if TSUed into a studio suite?

If I use a tsu for two nights on points and a free cat 1-7 added on, should I expect a room change due to policy or are they flexible,, space permitting.
Historically, TSU usage at this property has not been recommended since the standard suite is not a true suite and isn't much bigger than the 11th floor rooms with the greenhouse/canopy windows that Globs are often given anyway. Given this property's reputation, I doubt they would give any further discount after applying a TSU.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by gengar
From a hard product perspective, 30k + $300 isn't at all a bad deal for the City View Suite (which is sometimes available as a 60k redemption). Of course, you'll still have to deal with the staff...

Historically, TSU usage at this property has not been recommended since the standard suite is not a true suite and isn't much bigger than the 11th floor rooms with the greenhouse/canopy windows that Globs are often given anyway. Given this property's reputation, I doubt they would give any further discount after applying a TSU.
It does seem like a good price, roughly $840 at 1.8 cents per point. Unfortunately, given the recently deteriorating condition in France, I now have 3 extra TSUs that may expire. So I was thinking if it saved me a hundred a night on the upgrade to the fancy suite, it would be worth it.

My concierge only sends email to hotels, this seems like a call to the front desk manager. I assume the $300 offers are in advance? Or just day of?

Thanks for the tips!
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
  • They’re promoting two additional “amenities” with some retail partners - we didn’t shop this trip so we didn’t take advantage, but the hotel conceirge is supposed to have Nordstrom “gift cards” good for free coffee at the Nordstrom Coffee Bar, and showing your Park Hyatt NY room key at the La Labo store on 65th is supposed to net a “5-piece discovery” set
We got the latte at Nordstrom and it was really good. That was Dec 2019.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
It does seem like a good price, roughly $840 at 1.8 cents per point. Unfortunately, given the recently deteriorating condition in France, I now have 3 extra TSUs that may expire. So I was thinking if it saved me a hundred a night on the upgrade to the fancy suite, it would be worth it.

My concierge only sends email to hotels, this seems like a call to the front desk manager. I assume the $300 offers are in advance? Or just day of?

Thanks for the tips!
In my experience, TSU makes no difference at this hotel. TSU or complimentary upgrade, they will usually only upgrade you up to a Studio Suite, which is a slightly larger version of the regular room. Also, do note that the Studio Suites are only on the lowest floors of the hotel. There are a couple of times where I did get a complimentary upgrade to a larger suite but that was because they were sold out of smaller rooms.

Since I stay often, I usually book directly by email via a contact at the hotel. I’m always offered a $300 upgrade to the city view suite. I’ll usually book a base room with my corporate rate and then do the cash upgrade to the City View Suite. Personally, I think it’s a great deal (even if you have to put up with the PHNY’s recurring service issues).

Unless you have TSUs that are definitely going to expire, I certainly would not use one at this hotel. I save mine for places like PH Niseko, PH Tokyo, Ventana..
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Since it's offered in advance, it should be no issue for your concierge to arrange the paid upgrade (I usually do this, just so I don't have to find the property e-mail address) or you can e-mail the property directly.
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gengar
Since it's offered in advance, it should be no issue for your concierge to arrange the paid upgrade (I usually do this, just so I don't have to find the property e-mail address) or you can e-mail the property directly.
Yes my concierge has been very good about negotiating paid upgrades.
Skink likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

My Return to the Park Hyatt New York/The WOH Stars align

I promise that my mostly outstanding stay at the Park Hyatt New York (minus one housekeeping glitch)
was not a result of drinking,drugs, hypnotism or my mind gone bad off the rails
Despite being bruised in this thread a number of times with my past criticisms finally
I had the stay I was always hoping for and expected initially of one of my favorite hotel brands in the world
A proper impressive suite upgrade a respectable enough breakfast delivered by room service (the only option available)
All breakfast charges removed at check out without any hidden charges or gotcha surprises.

I'm not sure if I got lucky or spoiled but it was a great stay and while I'm uncertain of the future polices
At least for today the Park Hyatt delivered above and beyond even when taking Covid cutbacks limited staffing etc and changing times into consideration
It is my favorite property in New York ATM with any program attached.
Thank You Park Hyatt New York for a truly great stay and restoring the Hyatt Touch.Nothing went unnoticed
Some more details to follow .......................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.