Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I started staying with the Park Hyatt brand back in the 90s back in the day when hotels existed like Park Hyatt San Francisco and PH Los Angeles
were around (ahh good memory lane )
Memory lane indeed!

I first stayed at the PH Los Angeles in approx. 1994. I was a freshly-minted big firm lawyer on a one-night business trip. The front desk clerk kindly upgraded me to a massive suite . . . it was far and away the nicest hotel room I'd ever seen.

Needless to say that hotel got all of my West LA stays for many years thereafter.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
In the early 90s The Park Hyatt LA started off as the JW Marriott Century City. I worked for Marriott when the property open. As an employee I paid $49 to stay there and I stayed often. On a rare clear day the views toward the east of downtown LA were spectacular. Under Park Hyatt the hotel went down hill, I really think Hyatt did a lot of damage to the property, they downgraded the spa area, the pools, etc.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Memory lane indeed!

I first stayed at the PH Los Angeles in approx. 1994. I was a freshly-minted big firm lawyer on a one-night business trip. The front desk clerk kindly upgraded me to a massive suite . . . it was far and away the nicest hotel room I'd ever seen.

Needless to say that hotel got all of my West LA stays for many years thereafter.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:05 am

Wonderful Stay

I just had a stay here last weekend and thought I would add my thoughts. I booked a Cash + Points rate and used a DSU. Initially I was booked into a Junior Suite, but before arriving I received an e-mail that said as a loyal diamond member they upgraded me into a West Side Suite.

The room was amazing, the best part being the bathroom with the heated floor, soaking tub, and rainfall shower. The huge living room was a great place to lounge and had excellent views of Carnegie Hall.

The only breakfast option was the 57th street breakfast ($38) and they did put the room service delivery charge on my bill.

Checking out, I had trouble using Hyatt gift cards I bought from Amazon. They just wouldn't take them, and the manager was convinced they were fake. Awkward check out, but all in all a great stay.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NathanL104
Initially I was booked into a Junior Suite, but before arriving I received an e-mail that said as a loyal diamond member they upgraded me into a West Side Suite.
Thanks for the report! Glad you enjoyed your stay. Did you email them in advance to request this, or was that upgrade email unsolicited? Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by LM225
Thanks for the report! Glad you enjoyed your stay. Did you email them in advance to request this, or was that upgrade email unsolicited? Thanks.
I e-mailed the hotel before my arrival just to confirm my room type and received that response. I never requested a further upgrade.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The Possible Turning point

Greetings from Melbourne Australia All!
Awesome trip with Qantas in First here ^
I just left Hyatt Churchill in London where I was informed By management that one of their
excellent team members are now on board at the Park Hyatt New York
Despite my avoiding the hotel since after opening I'm determined to revisit in the months ahead and give it another try at their urging
There is also a different GM last I understood
For all those reasons I hope this is the turning point some of us have been waiting for
I had a great stay at the Churchill and will be reviewing not that there wasn't some small hiccups
Thanks for the updates and good news that things may finally be looking up at PHNYC
Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This property is now playing the "no awards despite base room availability" game.

Looking at April 19-21, there are no Park Kings available at the base rate, but they are available as part of the "Double Your Points" promotional rate. And of course, no award rooms available at all.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This property is now playing the "no awards despite base room availability" game.

Looking at April 19-21, there are no Park Kings available at the base rate, but they are available as part of the "Double Your Points" promotional rate. And of course, no award rooms available at all.
Shame on them, particularly this is a corporate owned property.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's what keeps amazing me... a fully Hyatt owned property trying everything possible to avoid complying with GP terms....
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
That's what keeps amazing me... a fully Hyatt owned property trying everything possible to avoid complying with GP terms....
Just goes to show you how massively overpriced this uber-contemporary behemoth really was. Good for Gary Barnett, not so much for Hyatt. I would love to know how well this hotel is performing and how the view (or lack of it) affects the targeted clientele. The hotel has not become what Park Hyatt Paris was back in the day.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by scented
I would love to know how well this hotel is performing and how the view (or lack of it) affects the targeted clientele. The hotel has not become what Park Hyatt Paris was back in the day.
The arrival experience is also totally inconsistent with the price. They really have no dedicated space out front, just a door opening onto heavy street/sidewalk traffic on W. 57th. Then that cold and empty ground floor space, and an utterly unimpressive main "lobby" that's really not a lobby at all.

Contrast with most of the true 5* properties, where you truly feel you've arrived somewhere special from the moment your car pulls up in front.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The arrival experience is also totally inconsistent with the price. They really have no dedicated space out front, just a door opening onto heavy street/sidewalk traffic on W. 57th. Then that cold and empty ground floor space, and an utterly unimpressive main "lobby" that's really not a lobby at all.

Contrast with most of the true 5* properties, where you truly feel you've arrived somewhere special from the moment your car pulls up in front.
I didn't find the street or sidewalk traffic in front of the hotel to be particularly heavy by NYC standards. Not many hotels have "dedicated space" in front of them, the sidewalk is public property.

If there was an arrival problem, it was with the doormen. I have corresponded with them about this and will arrive again in a few weeks to see if that has been fixed.

Originally Posted by scented
Just goes to show you how massively overpriced this uber-contemporary behemoth really was. Good for Gary Barnett, not so much for Hyatt. I would love to know how well this hotel is performing and how the view (or lack of it) affects the targeted clientele. The hotel has not become what Park Hyatt Paris was back in the day.
Lately I haven't seen massive overprices at the hotel. On my upcoming stay, I was able to book a junior suite at $650++ on a multi-night stay. That doesn't seem at all excessive for midtown Manhattan in a good hotel.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Lately I haven't seen massive overprices at the hotel. On my upcoming stay, I was able to book a junior suite at $650++ on a multi-night stay. That doesn't seem at all excessive for midtown Manhattan in a good hotel.
I hear you, I hear you, Kacee and Richard, just to clarify though: With overpriced I was referring to this: http://newsroom.hyatt.com/080514-Hya...Hyatt-New-York
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Pretty much the pattern of new hotels in NYC , when they first open high room rates, a year or two after opening the rates fall... same thing happen with the Andaz 5th, Ave.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz President
My wife and I stayed here in Sept and loved it. Last week we had a 12 hour layover at JFK and decided to spend it at the spa in the PHNY. The pool is really nice, overlooking 57th street, but the steam room and showers take the cake.

In the mens locker room there are 2 showers, the one on the right has 11 (ELEVEN) shower heads. It is awesome.

Before heading back to the airport we sat at the bar and chatted up the same bartender that took care of us in September, Johan. A true professional, worth stopping by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.